Am i too small?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Am i too small?

Postby LeeAnnS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:20 am

I had a c-sec with my dd in 2007 because my dr said im to small (he told me this at my very first appointmrnt) to give normal birth. My dd came out at 7.2lb (my water broke a week before my caeserean date). My 1 colleague who is just as small as me (we are both around 5ft, medium build) gave normal birth 3 months before me and her dd was 10.3lb so i want know how does that work?
I realy want a vbac this time. Im due in may. Im going for my first u/s on thursday (different dr luckily) and hoping for good news.
I've read that its a myth that women are to "small" to give vaginal birth. That dr's op for it because they make more money out of it.

Can anyone shine some light on this?
LeeAnnS
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Am i too small?

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:34 am

i would suggest a 2nd opinion, having a too small pelvis for delivery is quite rare and your baby was well within a normal weight range, i am 5ft and medium build also and i birth'd my daughter by vbac and she was 8lb 2. you are right in thinking in some drs take the c section route as an easy way out and a money maker. we dont have this issue in the UK because drs are salary paid.
in the UK they would refer you to a consultant obstetrician who would do a physical check and take history from you to see if you were a good candidate for vbac. it happened i was because my son was delivered for fetal distress and he was in the birth canal in the wrong position causing pressure on his head and neck.
i think seeking a few more opinions would be worth it because babies are rarely too big for the mothers pelvis. i have a friend who has a dainty frame and she gave birth to an 11lb baby naturally. good luck to you. if you want a vbac push for it! :D

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LeeAnnS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks so much for your reply hunny. This realy gives me hope which i realy needed. Im from south africa and not quite sure how it is going to work the second time round. The first time i didnt have insurance so i had to go through the state but now i have insurance and can make use of private facilities.
A friend of mine is also pregnant but she's about 4 weeks ahead of me and we going to the same dr/gynae and she tolf me this dr is very supportive of women first trying for normal birth before going the c-sec route. Ibe been praying alot this week that when i go see her on thursday for the first time she'll support my choice. Im nervous and excited at the same time.
LeeAnnS
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:55 am

yes make sure you ask loads of questions, get all the information you need. in the UK they push VBAC because uneccesary c sections are a strain on the NHS and yes there is a risk of rupture but it is very small. there are more risks involved with major surgery.
my vbac was also induced with prostaglandin so i was even higher rate for rupture and i was just fine. forceps were used but it was for fetal distress and i was close to delivering anyway. i am wanting a water birth this time so hoping i dont need another induction!

Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LeeAnnS » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Well went for my first u/s yesterday. Spoke to my gynae about havinga vbac but she said she doesnt want to take the risk because it could be fatal for me and my baby.
Something to do with something that could rupgure and i could bleed to death internally. Was scary hearing that, so c-section it will be again.
LeeAnnS
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:20 am

rupture rates are 2% in 1000 women attempting one. i dont know how a dr can tell you a c section is safer. so it seems the issue has shifted from the size of your pelvis to rupture. seems like your ob is making excuses. when having a vbac you would be continuously monitored so the slight signs of rupture would be picked up and you would be in the OR quickly. there is a risk in everything you do, did your gyne tell you the risk of c section? here i will give you some valueble information on vbac's and c sections. really drs should not be using scare tactics into making choices for you and giving you the relevent information and research and letting you make an informed choice.

http://www.nct.org.uk/birth/vaginal-bir ... arean-vbac

Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MaybeLater » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 am

I agree with hunny. I had a c section in 2008 and a successful vbac earlier this year in January. I had one doctor try to scare me out of my vbac and I switched. Please don't let doctors scare you into another c section. Like hunny said, there are serious risks involved in c sections too. I would find another doctor who is more supportive. Especially since your c section was 6 years ago. With a 6 year gap, your uterus is fully healed.
Me (Shan): 25
DH: 27
DD:5
DS: 1

Surprise :bfp: 6/25/13!

"Tomorrow is just a day away. " -Annie
MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Postby AussieMom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I've had 2 VBACS, and I think that a doctor should at least allow you to do a 'trial of labor' before ruling out your ability to birth naturally. Avoid pitocin and other induction methods and your rupture risks are very minimal. One of the main reasons for avoiding a second c-sec is that it may limit the number of children you can have in the future. To me, the risk of those complications are too high to not attempt a monitered VBAC.
As for being "too small", unless he examined you internally and found a pelvic bone abnormality, he cannot base this on 'looking' at you.
You should watch the movie/ documentary "More Business of Being Born" by Rikki Lake. They interview a number of celebrities/ supermodels and discuss their birth stories. One of the models (Giselle??) talked about how her OB told her at her first appointment that she would not be able to give birth naturally because of her small hips, but she went on to have an amazing natural birth! Worth watching!
Emily, 30
DD: (9)
Twins: Boy/Girl (7)
DS: (5)
DS: (1)
Expecting Baby Boy, June 27 2014!

AussieMom
Angel
Angel

Return to Labor & Delivery