Repeat C-Section or VBAC

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Repeat C-Section or VBAC

Postby amarheart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:59 pm

I am so torn. Everytime I think that I have come to terms with my emergency c-section and I'm okay with another, as soon as a friend of mine has a baby and I see their photos and labor stories I feel so robbed and cheated. I wish this could to away and I could just be okay with the fact that I had a c-section but that my son is beautiful and healthy, but I can't kick these feelings. I'm pregnant again and now I am going back and forth again! My son was 9lbs 7oz and I am about 5'4, 115-120 lbs normally with a narrow, small pelvis from what I have been told by my doctors. Any advice would be appreciated...

Thank you.
Me: (28) DH: (28) also
Married 6 years
DS: 19 months
TTC #2 since 12/13
BFP: 12/21/2013
Expecting Baby No. 2 9/5/2014 :)

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
amarheart
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Repeat C-Section or VBAC

Postby cassie9570 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 am

I had a csection with DS bc of my small pelvis and he wasn't big so just having a repeat section next week. Hate not having a vag birth but nothing I can do about it. Healthy baby is most important. Good luck
Stephanie-34 DH-37
DS - March 2012
DD- January 2014
Have a fur baby Pug that is 10
cassie9570
Addicted
Addicted

Postby same_true_taurus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Your feelings are normal and they may come and go for awhile. My ds was born by emergency c section after 27 hrs in labor. He was 9lbs 3oz and I was too narrow as well and only dilated to 9 cm. I was disappointed for a long time because I felt it was my fault. Not trying hard enough or maybe I pushed wrong....and I felt like less of a mom because I couldn't do it.
After a few years the guilt faded because I realized women have c sections for all different reasons but it's never taking the "easy" way. It's major surgery and without it baby and I might not have survived. I couldn't imagine life without my son ....doesn't matter how he got here. Just that he did.
It's okay for you to have mixed feelings...just don't let them weigh you down.
I'm having a scheduled section for #2 and I've heard it's a much better experience. I'm just looking forward to meeting my baby.
Me (Joan): 34
DH: 34
DS1: age 11yrs (unplanned but wonderful surprise)
DS2: age 19 months (after ttc for 2 years)
Now expecting baby #3....surprise!
EDD is May 16th, 2016
same_true_taurus
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MommaOreo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 am

I feel you. With my first I had to have a c-section and my recovery was very bad. I swore with my 2nd there was no way I was doing a repeat. at 38 weeks I was told baby is breech and most likely will not turn due to the small amount of space and my petite body so after crying for 2 days I agreed to have a repeat. My recovery was much better but I still felt very robbed of having a natural birth like I planned. Baby arrived NOT breech and I was so drugged up I couldn't breastfeed like I wanted. The nurse had to hold my daughter at my boob for me. My case isn't typical I guess. I freak out when I see Drs so they drugged me before I went to the OR. I was so out of it for the entire day. I was able to get out of bed that night, unlike the first section, and was able to do everything myself as long as I didn't have to bend over! I am currently pregnant just 9 months after my 2nd section and am at an ob that is willing to let me try for a vbac again. I am torn though. Part of me wants to just do the repeat because I will know the date and time and can plan everything accordingly. It makes things easier since my husband is military, but part of me wants to try for vbac since this is my last chance. I know the pain I will be in after a section and am not looking forward to that. I have never been in true labor so I can't compare. UGH! I guess I will see how I feel when 37 weeks rolls around and I am big and wishing baby would come already!
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust2me » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

My sister's first child was 9lbs2oz. She's about your size, and she pushed for over an hour before realizing her DD was just too big to come out vaginally. She opted for a repeat c-section with no regrets for #2. It turns out that was the best choice for her because her DS arrived one day before her scheduled C-Section and was 9lbs4oz.

If that is your situation, yes it sucks to think you'll never have the vaginal birth experience, but ultimately it might just be easier to opt for the repeat section. When my sister went into labor, she showed up at the hospital and the baby was born within an hour. It was SO convenient!

Not that I'm dismissing feeling like you missed out. My only pregnancy was twins and they were born premature via c-section. Even though my girls are totally healthy and caught up with other babies their age, I still have unresolved feelings about not being able to make it to full term. I don't plan on having any more so I'll never experience a full term singleton pregnancy, or a vaginal delivery. It sucks to have missed out on that "rite of passage" but in the end, I am happy that me and my girls are still here and are healthy.
Cassidy (29) DH (30) TTC#1 since Oct 08

IUI#2 - BFP!
Morgan 3lbs13oz & Reagan 3lbs10oz born at 33 weeks after 3 years TTC
19 days in the NICU

babydust2me
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bakermommy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am

I can totally relate to your feelings. My first pregnancy was a twin pregnancy and baby A was breech so my only choice was a c-section. I spent over three years trying to get pregnant and I felt very strongly about wanting to give birth vaginally. It was very hard accepting that it wasn't going to happen. After they were born I had even more emotions about never experiencing a vaginal birth, or labor, or a singleton or just an enjoyable pregnancy. I did wind up pregnant 10 months after my twins were born with one baby. With him I didn't have an enjoyable pregnancy either but I did get to experience the movement of one child inside me (which is a totally different experience). I also got to experience labor because he is a very determined little child and decided his birthday although I was schedule for two days later. I felt real contractions and my water broke. As crazy as it sounds that meant so much to me as a woman! I will however never experience a vaginal birth which will probably cause me some sort of emotional grief for the rest of my life. Not that it will control my life or anything serious but it will be something that my heart will always yearn for that experience. To hold your baby and look in his/her eyes as soon as he/she comes out. That must be an amazing feeling. We do want one more baby. So I'll be headed back in for a 3rd c-section if that day comes. In my area there is only one hospital that will even dance with VBAC and honestly for me I feel it is safer to just go with the repeat c-section. I have come to terms with that is how I deliver my babies. And you know what is pretty cool about that c-section scar? My two year olds look at it and I can tell them that is how they came into this world. It is a beautiful reminder!

Like others said. It doesn't matter how they get here. All that really matters in the end is that they are here safely. I hope you can find some peace with the emotional rollercoaster we call "motherhood".
4/2009 :angel2:
IVF#1 BFP 10-23-10
Beckham Cale 5lbs 6 oz 6/17/11
Brody Kingston 6 lbs 2 oz 6/17/11
BFP#3 5-4-12
6-5-12 :hb: 157
6-26-12 :hb: 160
7-25-12 :hb: 144
8-6-12 It's a boy
1/5/13 Bray Isaiah 8 lbs 5 oz
BFP#4 7/29/14
Beta # 1 7/30/14 (15)
Beta #2 8/1/14 (66) Progesterone 26
9/10/14 :hb: 166
10/8/14 :hb: 156
11/10/14 It's a Princess!!
3/27/15 Brooklyn Grace 7lbs 13 oz 19 in
bakermommy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 pm

if you had an emergency c-section you may have had a classic (vertical cut) on your uterus. if this is the case then vbac is highly not recommended to do the fact that your uterus can rupture.
Me: Rhonda 37, DH: Brian 38, DS: Elijah 6
Angel Baby April 2014 :angel:
Missed miscarriage baby passed @8w2d miscarried @12w2d-April 12,2014
Chemical May 2014 :angel:
After fertility treatments
Natural BFP TEAM PINK!!!
Rhondalynn77
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby JennMarie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:08 am

My first child was born via C-section because he was breech and absolutely would not turn. We found out during the C-section that he was wedged under my ribs and wouldn't have ever come out without surgery. So in our case it saved both of our lives. I grieved about it for a short while, but then I realized that it was a blessing in disguise. I didn't have to go through painful labor, I didn't have to have an episiotomy, and my bladder still works great! This is our third baby and the OB gave me a choice as to whether I wanted to try for a VBAC this time. I thought about it for a bit and then decided that I already have the scar (which isn't bad) and I know what to expect with a C-section... so it doesn't hurt my feelings to go that way :) This is one of those situations in life where you have to look at the blessings surrounding it. The grass isn't always greener on the other side! Many blessings to you during this exciting time in your life :)
Me-34
DH-40

JennMarie
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Labor & Delivery