Fast labor anyone?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Fast labor anyone?

Postby Maryna » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:50 pm

My first kid was a typical delivery. Water broke at 9pm, baby born 9 hours later.

However my 2nd one was a 45 min delivery. I had brixton contractions starting at 7 mo and kept dialating. By 39 weeks i was 4 cm dialated and was told to stay close to a hospital.

At 39 weeks Contractions started 3 min apart and by 5th contractions i knew i had to go. But of course those 5 contractions took 15 min. So 15 min + 15 min drive + 15 min in a hospital and we had a baby. Sounds like a story i would read in a magazine and would think 'cool, she is so lucky' .

Well.. In reality i did not feel lucky. I felt really scared and not in control. The pain went from 0 to 10 in a matter of minutes and i just felt on the verge of loosing conscience. The nurse at the check in could not find me in the system and just would not check me in. So another 5 precious min were lost right there arguing until i collapsed into a wheelchair and was brought upstairs. Everybody seemed so slow... I kept screaming baby was coming and of course nobody paid attention. I am sure i was not the first one or the last one to scream that. They were trying to get monitors out of their drawers, paperwork going...anything but actually checking me, until my husband got me onto the bed and they realized baby was crowning. Only then they all started running.

But anyway... I cant help but wonder what the next labor will be like. And i worry of course that if it goes any faster there is not way i can make it in time. I really really really do not want to have a homebirth. So then what are my choices? Ambulance? Induction? Is there anybody with similar story . What did you do ? How did you prepare?
Me: Maryna (35), DH: Jeremy (39)
DS: 6 yo
DD: 4 yo
Baby-girl due: 11/24/2014

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Re: Fast labor anyone?

Postby Maryna » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Nobody else?? :cry: sigh..now I am really freaking out

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby meganmarie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 am

Hi, I'll respond! I didn't have labors THAT fast, but still pretty fast. This last time around, I spent my 38th week walking around 4 cm dilated, having tons of braxton hicks (they always start around 20 weeks and just pick up from there), and doing everything I could to go into labor to no avail...that last week, I did high impact aerobics 4 times, walked at least 4 miles, and ate a ton of spicy food and NOTHING! My first two babies were born at 38 and 37 weeks, but #3 was determined to stay put. At my final appt. I was almost 5 cm dilated with a bulging bag of water and STILL not in labor. I was afraid that I might continue to dilate w/o being in labor and could potentially end up with a car or home birth, so I opted to go to the hospital and have my water broken. I delivered two hours later. I would definitely talk to your doctor about a plan for the final weeks. If it were me, I'd opt for induction rather than risk not making it to the hospital and I would think most docs would be okay with that plan as well. If you are already dilated in the weeks leading up to the birth, it probably won't take much to get you into labor--maybe just breaking your water. But I would also study up on unassisted home birth procedures and put together a birth kit just in case. At least that way, if you end up in that situation, you won't be totally unprepared. Plan for the worst, expect the best! Good luck!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Ashtonsmom » Fri May 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I may not be of much help either. I am kinda wondering myself when mine will happen this time. I was induced first time and that was an 8hr labor from start to finish. It probably would have been shorter if my doc wasn't still seeing patients at the office lol! I was sitting at a 10 waiting on him to arrive so I could push. I had my last doc apt at 39w6d and I was diliated to 3cm at the time, the reason we decided on induction.

This time, I think he will be on time or late. I am really hoping he will stay in at least until 37wks but for some odd reason I also think he may come early. IDK my mind is all over the place not knowing what to expect. Most people I've talked to with 2nd babies have said their labor was early, fast and over with. My one friend just recently almost had her baby in the car!!! She went in with labor pains the night before, they sent her home saying false labor. Almost 12hrs later she was rushing back to the hospital baby came out within 10 mins of her being there
DS1: 5
DS2: 1
DP: 32
ME: 31
It's a GIRL!!
20wk 5d :hb: 153bpm
Ryland Alyse due Nov 12.15

Ashtonsmom
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Maryna » Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 am

Meganmarie,
My obgyn said she was in favor of induction based on my history. However induction would not happen until after 39 weeks. Considering I delivered my last child at exactly 39 weeks I may not get a chance of induction. So I better have that birth kit you mentioned even thought the thought of home birth just frightens me. My brain says millions of women had baby at home and my heart is just so afraid of this scenario. I cannot help it.

Ashtonsmom,
Your friends story is what I am afraid of. I am glad she made it just in time. And I hope your delivery goes well for you too =) You are so close !!

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby breezy_boo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Maryna- if I was you I would do some reading on home birth, statistically it is very safe. maybe reading about it will help you feel more confident and comfortable in case you are in that situation.
Due December 15th- It's a Girl!!
breezy_boo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Maryna » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:10 am

breeze_boo, I definitely will ! but I hope I do not have to use my home birth knowledge =)

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby Econfused » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm not currently expecting, but I do have two kids already. My first labor was pretty typical, a day of mild labor, walking around at home and then about 3 hours of active labor at the hospital (still fast for a first time mom,but not crazy fast).

My second delivery was very similar to yours. Lots of BH from 30 weeks on. Had an appointment with my OB on the day I had my son at 9am, I was 38w6d. I was about 3cm and having mild/BH contractions every now and then, but nothing that I would classify as labor. I went home, played with my toddler, had a nap (when she did). I woke up at about 2pm. At around 3pm I had my first serious contraction. I called my mom and said I might be having the baby tonight! She came over 30 minutes later, took one look at me and said call your husband (he was at work, 20 minutes away). I called him, he got home at 4, we headed straight to the hospital (only because my bossy mother told me to go, I didn't think I was that close). We were at the hospital at 4:15 and he was born at 4:45, transverse and almost 9 pounds!! I remember on the way to the hospital thinking that my mother was right...I could barely make it to the elevator at the hospital the contractions were so intense and right on top of each other. I felt completely out of control, I was so irritated with the nurses that were admitting me, asking me stupid questions (when did you eat last? allergies? how much do you weigh?). I just screamed that someone needed to get a Dr in here right now (I may have added some colorful language).

I absolutely understand how you felt about not being in control. My body just took over. At one point the nurses told me not to push (as if I had a say in the matter). I didn't want my husband to touch me or talk to me, I just wanted to curl up and ride out the storm. I was grateful in the end that it was quick, but I also felt a little robbed of the experience.

In the end no two births are the same. If we are lucky enough to have a third child I will be prepared for a fast delivery, but I won't expect it. We are only 10-15 minute drive from our hospital so I know that if I couldn't make it, help is not far away.

Good luck to you, it will be how it will be and in the end all that matters is a healthy baby and a healthy mommy.
Me: Ellie, 36
DH: 38
DD 2006
DS 2009

Expecting baby number 3 Sept 2015

US Feb 11, 2015, baby measured 7w3d, :hb: 134
NT Scan, March 12, baby measured 11w5d, :hb: 160
Anatomy Scan, May 8th, It's a girl!!
EDD Sept 27, 2015
Econfused
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Maryna » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Econfused,
You are right. I was reading your story like my own!
What is up with those nurses and stupid questions?? I was talking to a relative of my husband this past weekend who is a nurse in Labor and Delilvery by profession. She was telling me that they just need to get your insuarance info before they admit you. I kept asking her ..but why??.. Why could not they wait in emergency cases? It is not like we are going to run off with the baby at the end and not submit our info. Or it is not like if i did not have insuarance they would not help me.. They still would, so what is the deal ? She could not answer..

Well if you do go after a third child i hope your body will be kinder to you than last time around. And i sure hope for the same for myself. I remember hearing some crazy inhuman screaming during my delivery. And not until my doctor started yelling at me to shut up i realized it was my own voice. I swear i had no idea it was me or that i even was capable of making such sounds.

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby Tara_from_PA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 pm

I can tell you that based on my personal experience, every labor is totally different. My first was an induction and as such labor took FOREVER. My second labor was only 2 hours from the very first twinge of a contraction to birth, with the baby coming out in a single push. It was very intense. Like you, I went from pain of 0 to 10 in just a few minutes. And like you I had to scream at the hospital staff that the baby was coming before someone would put down the darned clipboard of paperwork and actually check me, only to see the baby crowning.

My third baby however was a very typical, long labor. I lost my plug in the morning, had my first real ctx at lunch time and my son was born at 4am. - Two pushes this time instead of one. Haha.

My doctor was very supportive throughout my last pregnancy and was eager to quell my fears of having a fast labor while at the same time being ever cautious of my condition the final four weeks of the pregnancy. We live 45 min from the hospital so you can understand how terrified I was of the idea of having the baby in the car! Haha. Thankfully, everything went very smoothly and slowly enough that I was able to maintain control.

Now that I'm expecting again, I'm still a little fearful of a fast labor but at least I know that for me each labor is different and I that my body can do it right. I imagine that for those ladies who have only had long labors, we might sound kind of crazy hoping that we don't have quick ones. But having gone through that, I can say that it was probably the most terrifying experience of my life. I just felt completely out of control. There was no time to focus the pain away. No time for breathing or counting or even walking. It was like I was caught up in an excruciatingly painful tornado, spinning out of control.

Home birth could be a good option for you. If my doctor had suggested induction to me just because my previous labor was fast, I think I'd have an issue with that doctor. My doctor simply took an extra few minutes during my last month's appointments to check my dilation and talk to me about how many BH I was having. The morning I lost my plug happened to be the morning of a checkup with him so he simply advised me to stay close to the hospital. I took his advice however, like I said, the labor ended up being nice and normal.
Tara (37)
DH (37)
DS (6) - Born Aug. '07
DD (5) - Born April '09 (Mosaic Down Syndrome)
DS (11 mos) - Born Oct '13
Angel: missed m/c 05/2006 @ 9wks

Tara_from_PA
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Maryna » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Tara,
So funny. I just posted a question to you on having a 4th child and then decided to check your other posts to only discover you replied to one of mine :)

You know..it really helps to read your story. My ob said that with a bigger gap between second and third time my body could have forgotten how to birth fast. Your story is definitely supporting this theory. I am not an idiot to wish onto myself a long labor but i sure would appreciate to have enough time to phone my husband, to get babysitter for my kiddos and to get to the hospital.

And you are right.. I am sure for some ladies we do sound crazy and they probably roll their eyes just like i do when i hear 'i gained 3 lb in 20 weeks, is this too much?' :))

So you think i should say no to induction? I honestly am not sure what i think about induction. Is it really that bad?

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby Tara_from_PA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm

To answer your induction question, I would decline but as with anything, I think the experience isn't the same for everyone. For me it was horrible. Pitocin is the devil's drug as far as I'm concerned. It caused my contractions to be one on the top of the other and extremely intense - way more painful than natural ctx. Also, I believe that statistically women who are induced have a higher incidence rate of c-section. You may want to do more research on that and discuss it with your doctor but I believe that's the case.

I too thought that perhaps my labor last year was longer because it had been such a long time since my previous child. Which makes me a bit nervous about having another baby so soon. Hopefully my body will behave itself this time around and take things nice and slow. :)

I would say that if you're really stressing about having another fast labor and induction doesn't sound that bad to you, then talk about your fears and concerns with your doc. Like I said, the induction experience is different for everyone. While it was horrible for me, I know of a few women who didn't have that awful of an experience.
Tara (37)
DH (37)
DS (6) - Born Aug. '07
DD (5) - Born April '09 (Mosaic Down Syndrome)
DS (11 mos) - Born Oct '13
Angel: missed m/c 05/2006 @ 9wks

Tara_from_PA
Star Member
Star Member

Postby momma34 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 am

I can't speak to fast labor (my first was 36 hours) but I can at least speak a little bit to induction as I have read a bit about it. It is definitely true as Tara says that pitocin makes contractions much worse and more painful that normal contractions. As for the risk of C section - it can definitely lead to more c sections IF you try to induce a "non favorable" cervix - meaning one that is not dilated or effaced. However, if you are already dilated and effaced, then you are really unlikely not to progress. So generally speaking, as long as your cervix is favorable - it should'nt increase your risk of c section.
Me: 34
DH: 32
DS: Born 12/31/2012 after 14 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid!
BFP 4/29/2014!!!! After 4 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid! (Temped for the first time month 3, found out I had LP of 9days, so since clomid worked for me back in 2012, tried it again this last month 4/2014!)

12/27/2014 WELCOME THEA ADELE and ROMAN COLE!!!! 7lbs 20 in and 6lbs 7oz 20 in respectively!!!

It's a BOY and a GIRL!!!!!
momma34
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Maryna » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:14 pm

I think as time is approaching I am leaning towards induction. With history of fast labor, being 3 sm dialted dilated already and GD + B strep positive I think we better plan for induction at 39 weeks. I think I made my piece with it.
Thank you for your input girls !

Maryna
Angel
Angel

Postby momma34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 am

That is good - nice to have reached a point where you have made a decision and feel good about it:). Best of luck to you!!!!
Me: 34
DH: 32
DS: Born 12/31/2012 after 14 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid!
BFP 4/29/2014!!!! After 4 months trying to conceive, got BFP after 1 round clomid! (Temped for the first time month 3, found out I had LP of 9days, so since clomid worked for me back in 2012, tried it again this last month 4/2014!)

12/27/2014 WELCOME THEA ADELE and ROMAN COLE!!!! 7lbs 20 in and 6lbs 7oz 20 in respectively!!!

It's a BOY and a GIRL!!!!!
momma34
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to Labor & Delivery