VBAC after failure to progress?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

VBAC after failure to progress?

Postby AliWrites » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 pm

I ended up with a C-section after 18+ hours of labor with my first. I was induced and on the highest dose of Pitocin allowed for over 12 hours, and I only dilated to a 4. I had the section because my doctor was concerned about my uterus "giving out." Not exactly sure what that really meant, but I was sort of overwhelmed at the time. Of course now I wonder if they were just tired of waiting for me to deliver, but I ended up with a very healthy little girl, and overall, I'm happy. My recovery wasn't horrendous or anything, and I wouldn't be devastated if I had to have another c-section.

I'm now pregnant with my second, and my doctor has already brought up repeat c-section. Her reasoning is that women who are sectioned due to failure to progress usually have the same problem in their following pregnancies. I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone ever been in the same situation? Have you ever had a successful VBAC after a c-section due to failure to progress?
Me: 33
DH: 35
DD: Born August 13, 2012
:angel: Nov. 19, 2013 - 14 wks

BFP 5/19/2014, EDD: January 26th, 2015

AliWrites

Re: VBAC after failure to progress?

Postby Turns0528 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Hope that's not true! 34+hours of labor here!!! I'm praying for a VBAC next time.
Tiffany - DH (Chris)
Married - 11/6/10
First baby due - 4/22/12
angel baby - *Faith Lily*
Turns0528
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Pixiepin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 pm

I failed to progress with my first and ended with an emergency section but I had a successful vbac with my second xx
Me -35
Ds1-5
Ds2- 2
7 angel babies - (last one 1/1/14)

Pregnant with baby no3 4 months after m/c.
Edd 6th Jan 2015... Team green !!!
Pixiepin
Star Member
Star Member

Postby WeBeTTC#2 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am

Similar situation for me - I had a long labour with my son. Went from 1cm to 5cm in less than 2 hours but then got stuck there. Ended up at the hospital with an emergency c-section. (I had planned a home water birth) This time I am really hoping for a VBAC and the Midwives haven't said anything about the failure to progress becoming a problem again this time. They are more worried cuz my son was so big (9lb2oz) that I could have another big baby which could cause another c-section. I am giving myself a healthy 50-50 chance of having a VBAC - I was horribly blind-sided in my first pregnancy cuz I never really thought about the 'what if's' for more than a few minutes, so this time I am being realistic, I know what to expect with a c-section, but I am doing everything I can to prevent one!! I'm eating a lot healthier, trying to exercise more, and I plan on doing 'spinning baby' exercises once I start my 3rd trimester to make sure baby is in the best position for labour. (my son was posterior which didn't help at all) My midwife told me to start drinking red raspberry leaf tea every day 3cups a day, and then at 37 weeks go up to 7 cups a day (yuck!) Oh, and I'm sitting on a large exercise ball as often as possible, and completely avoiding laying on the couch for any long periods of time.
Sorry, kind of ran on there, but thought I'd share my VBAC 'preparation' (one more thing! lol - have you read "The VBAC Companion" yet?? I've found it pretty useful!)
And one last thing, we're nearly due date buddies!! I'm due January 24th (25th according to Midwife's wheel) and I have a 2 year old as well! :)
Good luck to you!!!!
31 years old from Manitoba, Canada
Married in July 2011
DS#1 - 2 years old
TTC #2 since May 2013

BFP November 10, 2013 - chemical pregnancy
February 2014 - Full physical done - LPD confirmed
April 24 2014 - Dx low progesterone, referral sent to OB/GYN - 2 month wait :(
May 3 2014 - +OPK, 1st cycle using progesterone cream
May 15 2014 - :bfp: @ 12DPO!!!!

BABY'S DUE DATE: JANUARY 24, 2015

WeBeTTC#2
Friend

Postby MelK89 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello,

I was induced with my first, labour for 12 hours and got stuck at 4cm. I was told afterwards that if I go into spontaneous labour there is no reason I can't have a VBAC, however, if I am to be induced again there is higher chance of a repeat c-sec.
Me (25), DH (27)

Healthy baby boy!!! - 29th July '13
TTC # 2 since November 2014
MelK89

Return to Labor & Delivery