Am I even a good candidate for VBAC?

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Am I even a good candidate for VBAC?

Postby MamaBird912 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:59 am

My first labor was a cesarean.. Went into labor naturally the night before my sons due date. I wasn't dilating properly and they gave me triple doses of pitocin. My son was face up instead of face down and the obgyn claimed I was narrow. After 18 hours and a second epidural because mine wore off on one side, they said it might take 3 hours to push and no guarantee baby would come down. I hadn't slept in almost 36 hrs and hadn't eaten since getting to the hospital. I had no strength to push and I told them to do a cesarean. I've regretted it every day of my life and blamed myself, as well as blaming myself for the failure at breastfeeding. I suffered from ppd for around 10 months after my son was born.

Hoping for a VBAC this time. I feel like I atleast have to try or I will feel like a worthless lazy failure for the rest of my life..

Anybody have or know someone with a similar situation?
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Am I even a good candidate for VBAC?

Postby SarahCHW » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:02 am

I don't have a similar experience (yet), but I just wanted to let you know, you weren't lazy or a failure. It sounds like you stuck it out for a long time. With baby face up like that, you were working against a stacked deck. Baby's head doesn't compress correctly in that position which makes delivery extremely difficult. I know that won't change the way you feel, but I hope you feel better about your birth someday.

I would definitely try to find a provider that is on board with at least trying a VBAC, maybe even look into hiring a doula who is experienced with VBAC (in addition to getting a provider who is on board). There are no guarantees, but maybe with a little extra support you will be able to make it work. And if not, as long as you feel like you did everything you could, you'll have nothing to regret.
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MamaBird912 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Thank you! I see stories of women who were stronger than me, who managed to do what I couldn't, who stuck it out even longer than I did.. And it makes me feel like I didn't try hard enough..

My OBGYN at my 6 week appointment after my son said he recommends automatic cesearean with future children. I'm still going to talk to him about it. If he can prove its best, that I'm too small based on measurements, I'm shaped funny, or whatever I think I can handle it. But if there's no reason why not.. I know there's only a tiny percent chance of rupture and it can be treated if it happens.. I feel like I need to try.
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MamaPeach » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Mama, I will be trying for a VBAC too. I got a packet of information from my OB's office that gives the risk of just about everything (rupture, maternal death (god forbid), baby having breathing issues, etc). I'll try and scan/post it here, it was very informative!
Me: 34
DH: 33
DD1: 2
Baby #2 due May 22nd, 2016
:bfp: 9/9/15
:hb: 10w5d 178
Harmony 12w3d
Harmony results 13w5d - low risk for trisomies, and :future baby boy: It's a boy! :future baby boy:
:hb: 15w1d 148
Anatomy scan 19w1d - still a :future baby boy:
MamaPeach
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby MamaBird912 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks peach!
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Labor & Delivery