Natural birth

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did you have a drug free birth??

Yes, I took nothing!
46%
No, I had an epidural
36%
No, I had drugs
5%
No, I had an epi and drugs!!
13%

Total votes : 130

Postby jamieliz21 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 pm

I had epi, antibiotics, and pitosin (sp?). I was thinking of having a natural birth this time and my Dr said no no no no no!! I was kinda like WTF doc, but he explained it to me....

The epi helps keep things in there (muscles etc) tight and where they belong. The epi actually helps your body naturally push w/o having too much stress on you and your parts! He said that he does reconstructive surgery on many women in their 40's-70's b/c their "sh**" (as he put it) falls out! 8O 50, 40, 30, even 20 yrs ago they didn't know how beneficial epi's are! He said many women have no control over their bowles and their colons literally fall out of their bodies, they have no contol over peeing all over themselves, and more times than not their vajayjay's turn inside out and literally come out!

I'm all about keeping my girly parts inside, and not peeing all over myself! I will be having an epi with this baby and the future ones as well!

Anyone else hear the good of an epi from your Dr, other than controlling the pain?
Jamie
jamieliz21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby smittenkitten » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:33 pm

I don't trust epis, even if my doctor told me that stuff. I'd rather go through reconstructive surgery when I'm old than be paralyzed for the rest of my life.
ImageImage
ImageImage
smittenkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby deleteme » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 pm

That sounds a bit extreme. Everytime I've researched epidurals I've never heard of any benefits other than pain relief. I'm considering trying natural this time, but I'm just leaving it open. I can't say what I'll do once active labor kicks in.
deleteme
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mommy2ADiva » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:57 am

I can't believe a DR. told you all of that....actually I can. That is some serious BS.
Anyway, to each his/her own, but I would research everything about the birth you want before going on one person's word.
I have friends who's Dr's told them they would rather them have an epi because it helps keep the patient in control.
Not because it's beneficial to the mom or baby.

I had an epi with dd, and am planning a water/home birth this time.
Don't want anymore needles in my back unless it's a life or death situation.
ImageImage 11 DPO BFP 8/25/06 Image ImageImage
Mommy2ADiva
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby smittenkitten » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Mommy- I think you're right.... My ob and his nurses were big advocates of the epi and I couldn't think why. But yeah, keeping the patient under control makes sense! I scratched the hell out of my nurse's hand while in labor, so I can see that being a big thing for them. (I think you're right about it being BS too. My mom needed reconstructive surgery because my sister was partially breech... not because she didn't have an epi.)
ImageImage
ImageImage
smittenkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ZsMomma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:38 am

All natural - no drugs! :D
ZsMomma
Angel
Angel

Postby mama*ashleigh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 am

Sorry to say, your doc pretty much lied to you...it's actually much more likely that these women are having to have all of this reconstructive surgery because of the episiotimies that were standard practice back then. My mil had episiotomies with all four of her sons and now her and her doc are working together to try and prevent a historectomy because her parts are falling out...not because she didn't have an epi (she had all four naturally), but because she was sliced and diced with all four sons.

Needless to say, no drugs, no cuts, no interventions for me.
Ashleigh - 28
Peter- 32
Riley- 2/9/06
Wyatt- 11/12/07
Lucy- 9/25/09
Alice- EDD 5/12/12
mama*ashleigh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommy2maren » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:45 am

umm, that sounds like complete BS - actually, you're more likely to have damage FROM the epidural than without - if they let you "labor down" when you're completely dilated - the extra pressure on your pelvic muscles for hours can weaken them, when you SHOULD be pushing. And pushing without being able to feel how strong you are pushing can also cause you to tear more.

Don't trust everything that comes out of a Dr's mouth - actually, I don't trust most things, but that's just me.
mommy2maren

Postby smittenkitten » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 am

I hated the fact that my whole OBGYN's office pushed me towards an epidural and told me that he would do an episiotomy on me, whether I wanted it or not. I couldn't believe how ECSTATIC I was when I went into labor on a day when my doc was out of town. I got the natural birth I wanted. :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
smittenkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Mommy2Divas » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:02 am

I had my first natural birth with Ava. It was hard work at times, but I loved it and will do it again.
There is nothing like working with your body instead of against it.
Childbirth is awesome!
*Darcel*

ImageImage
*~SAHM~Co-sleeping~CDing~BFing~ BWing Mama to my beautiful girls~*

Mommy2Divas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Zen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:50 am

I had my natural homebirth... and no parts fell out! :lol:
Jennifer - 33
DH - 31
Roman - 5/25/07

Zen
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Nog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:33 am

I too did it all natural and nothing fell out during or after... that DR sounds a bit dodgy :?
Nog
Angel
Angel

Postby dawnelise0004 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm

smittenkitten wrote:I don't trust epis, even if my doctor told me that stuff. I'd rather go through reconstructive surgery when I'm old than be paralyzed for the rest of my life.

You are actually more likely to contract a rare disease than you are to have any long term effects from an epidural. One of the most common misconceptions about epidurals is back pain afterwards. More often than not the back pain is from strained muscles and ligaments from the actual childbirth and are things that the person would have experienced with or without the epidural. And things like spinal/epidural headaches affect less or about equal to 1% of all those that get an epidural. Another thing to keep in mind is that most epidural statistics include figures from the entire length of time that epidurals have been in use and just like any medical procedure they have greatly improved over time, but most of the numbers you see related to complications reflect incidents from years ago. The estimated chances of having a spinal injury (including the old figures) is about 1 in 150,000. According to UNICEF any woman in the Americas (and yes that includes South America which does account for the lower numbers) has a 1 in 215 lifetime chance of dying during childbirth. So basically you are like 600x more likely to die during childbirth than to experience any kind of long term spinal injury from an epidural. I'm not trying to be the epidural-pusher or anything like that - I'm just all for accurate information.

And just like I think the doc in discussion here is pretty darn quacky I think a lot of the facts surrounding labor/delivery are quacky as well. Each person has to make their own informed decisions regarding everything from pain meds, episiotomies, circumcisions, etc. If something doesn't seem/sound right then definately check it out that way even if the information you find actually does back up what you were told you can know that you are working with accurate information.
dawnelise0004
Star Member
Star Member

Postby smittenkitten » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info.
I still don't trust epidurals and am still incredibly happy that I went natural. :D :D :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
smittenkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ack80 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:57 am

i'm planning on going all natural. i think having an epi would totally freak me out. also - i hate the way i feel when i'm all drugged up. so i am going to do my best to do this drug-free.

my mother had to have the "reconstructive surgery" to basically pin her uterus back into place. but the doctor told her it was because she had a 9lb baby and then an 11lb baby. not from going w/o the epi.

(yes, i was the 11 pounder.)
Me: Alicia, 31
DH: Gabe, 36
DS: Charlie, 8/14/07
DS2: EDD 4/3/12

TTC #2 since 1/1/10
Cycle 19, Clomid CD 5-9, BFP @ 10DPO

ack80
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Labor & Delivery