Natural birth

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did you have a drug free birth??

Yes, I took nothing!
46%
No, I had an epidural
36%
No, I had drugs
5%
No, I had an epi and drugs!!
13%

Total votes : 130

Postby Luv2Skydive » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 pm

First DS....all natural. I don't dilate on my own so I got pitocin which makes the contractions go off the chart!!! Luckily I only pushed for maybe 10 minutes after 13 hours. I was so proud of myself!

Second DS....figured I'd done natural and let's enjoy the second so wanted an epi. I was at a 4 for about 8 hours and once again got pitocin which brought on those horrendous contractions!!! At hour 12 I had a sudden urge to push and was at a 9 and missed the epi and had to deliver natural again!!! He was over 10 pounds but I tell you it all hurts the same!!!

We are working on TTC #3 and I will go natural again....I've heard so many bad things about epi's and I figure I've done ok natural so far so I'll stick with it!

Every woman should do what works for them. I don't think my was better, but it was better for me. No matter how it's done, no man could do this and survive! :wink:
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anna » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 am

I had already been labouring for 24 hours....3 contractions in 10 min.....before my DD turned, so I was given an epidural.....and they cut me a bit later. They had to push her up from "there" as I was already 9cms dilated..and DD was almost coming out ....so I actually missed the BEST part of giving birth.

I gave birth in St Georges Hospital near Wimbledon. My contractions started at 9pm a day after my due date, we wanted everything natural therefore we only went to hospital the next afternoon!!!!! When we went in I went into a big pool, and was labouring in there....it was lovely.
If she had not turned I would have been able to go through my natural labour, but sadly it didnt happen. As I was labouring for so long, my DD was getting "tired" so they decided to do an emergency C-section.

Throughout our 9 months we watched Janet Balaskas natural birth videos, we attended birth classes in London with DH, and I did lots of yoga and swimming. I was of course a bit disappointed but my DD health and well-being was more important than proving my strength.

Now, my doctor is "threatening" me with a planned C-section.....as here in Hungary they are not so open - minded about natural birth. I am more scared of a C-section than giving birth naturally. I hope this time I will have the opportunity to push my baby out!!! :)

x
Me (31)
DH (32)
DD (4)
DD (born 14th of Jan 2008)

ImageImage
anna
Star Member
Star Member

Postby NikkiNikki » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:44 pm

jamieliz21 -I have to totally agree with Iamca. What your doctor told is CRAZY!!!!!!! When humans where created, I don't think it was with medical intervention in mind. I would say your doctor has it backwards if anything.

Anyone who goes natural can tell you that your body completely takes over and starts pushing on its own. When you have the urge to push......NO ONE is going to stop you...not even to wait for the doc....trust me! Now, when you have an epi you don't always feel the natural urge and so therefore your nurse/doc have to instruct you to push. And that is when ladies end of pushing for hours...and IMO that is when your $h** starts falling out. I mean seriously, most girls get hemorrhoids from pushing so long and hard....

I went natural and when I said it was time to push........IT WAS TIME TO PUSH!!! It's painful but it's an amazing experience.

And back 20, 30, 40 years ago doctors made ladies labor med free and then completed knocked them out right b/f the actual delivery. And again, even with them unconscious, the body naturally expelled the baby. That is crazy to me....heck they had already made it through the hardest part. Anyway, I hope you don't let what that doctor told you scare you away from a natural birth (if it's desire). If not, then I say bring on the margarita's :):)

Please make sure you do some of your own research. I don’t think you’ll find many experts that repeat your doctors theory. Good Luck to you!!
NikkiNikki
Star Member
Star Member

Postby sweetpea3 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 am

Some women do need reconstructive surgery down the road...regardless if they've even HAD children! I work in health care with the older population and have seen both women with many children and women without any children who either needed the sx's you're talking of and who have had them. And it's episiotomies (3-4th degrees) that can cause incontinence (remember they used to be routine for every delivery). I have heard this rational given for elective c-sections...I simply disagree GREATLY...for reasons the last 2 posters mentioned. I hope you look into it more, and I'm glad you posted.
sweetpea3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm

If the baby came out of your vagina, it's NATURAL! Yes, I had an epidural with my son, but it ran out. Even with the epi, I still had pain. For the lucky mommies who had no pain, the baby came out the vagina and was birthed naturally!

C-section mamas are a whole other story. Maybe not natural, but they are heros to go through major surgery and then take care of a newborn -yikes!

As long as the end result is a happy and healthy baby, who cares?
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Bailey wrote:Had a natural birth...with an epidural. :D
Plan on doing the same for this one :D

Baily, I didn't see this before, but I totally agree. I had a natural birth... with an epidural, thank you! :D
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nasonsmom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Next birth (when I get preggo) will be natural or just some drugs...no eppi at all. It was a nightmare. They hit a nerve twice and the darn thing didn't really work at all. I figure you are going to be uncomfortable anyway..might as well be clear headed and I want to get out of bed this time and walk around.
Nasonsmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momma6_2angels » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm doing this at home, so no drugs!! It's an amazing experience and I really wish all women would at least try it or go into labor with an open mind. It really makes me sad to see a pregnant women planning drugs as soon as her test is positive.
momma6_2angels
Angel
Angel

Postby bluedisc » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:59 am

My three have all been drug-free homebirths.
Three quite different labours too....
Ds 1 was the perfect textbook birth - everything happened by itself too so I didn't have to think about a thing - labour lasted about five hours.
Dd put her hand on her head and I needed to push her out more actively as I got no push reflex - transition lasted 90 mins as a result....but it went easily enough in the end.
Ds 2 was a precipitous labour (two weeks ago) - he was three weeks early and that meant our midwife and back-up midwives weren't yet available to do a homebirth - labour lasted less than an hour or two....and we didn't make it out to the hospital in time - the ambulance guys were in time to wait for the placenta....transition lasted about 20 mins and came right after 20 min gaps between contractions....and pushing lasted less than ten mins. Everything was fine although it wasn't the sort of homebirth we had planned....
Baby's weights were all around eight pounds, with the first two a bit lighter than eight pounds and the last one slightly over eight pounds.
I was stitched the first two times, but tore a bit less the last time and didn't bother getting stitched - much less annoying recovery in the end.
I think drugs and epis have their place, and anyone can end up needing them, or a C-section unexpectedly, but it's good to have the option of drug-free, intervention-free as well, for low risk women (that's most of us).
Brionne
Brionne 45, ds 9, dd 4, ds 3
(In the picture - ds 6, dd 2, ds 7 months)
BFP 19th April 2010

bluedisc
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Mine for my first was all natural I had nothing at all. Second I was given a drug at 7cm thing is it didnt work, I felt everything. So to me I had 2 naturals birth since the drugs didnt work for my second!
Proud SAHM to 3 girls!
Miles
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Artemnesia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 am

When I say I want a natural birth this time I mean what most people mean-- no drugs or medical interventions. Vaginal should pretty much go without saying. I agree that the end result of a healthy baby and mother is what matters most but that is EXACTLY why I'm opting for no interventions (except in the event of a true emergency) this time.

Hey has anyone read the book Pushed? I just picked it up so I haven't read much yet although I'm looking forward to it... The website for it is great though...

http://www.pushedbirth.com/
Erin, mama to Lilah (11/06) and Lex (1/09)

There are over a million living white blood cells in a single drop of breastmilk.
Artemnesia
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby girlstar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 am

My mom recently had reconstructive surgury. The doctor told her it is VERY common and not very well known. Some people are embarassed to say anything, so they tolerate it for several years.

That being said, I plan to have an epi this time around. Nobody should judge or try to persuade anyone else's decisions because everybody has an entirely unique situation. Some go through much more pain than others, and some have longer labors than others. I was in labor with my son for 23 hours. I was 8 days overdue and did not need to be induced, but I did need pitocin later on due to my lack of progression past a 6. I did receive a shot which created a horrible reaction, causing me to hallucinate and itch all over. I ended up having a "natural" birth because I basically had to wait until that aweful stuff wore off before my body would progress. When it did come time to push, I was so tired, I barely remember anything. I pushed for 3 hours. I did not feel my body doing what it is "supposed" to do, such as the urge to push, or feelings of the baby descending. It was a nightmare. My son was born perfect, weighing 9lbs 5oz and 23 inches long. I only needed 1 stitch for my external tear, but hemorraged after delivery. I could barely breath because my face and neck were so swollen from pushing.

I am willing to try the epi this time around because it could not possibly cause me to push less effectively than "natural" did last time. I did the "hero" thing and now I have nothing to prove. I am looking forward to remembering and possibly enjoying this birth experience.
Heather-28
DH (29)
DS (4)
BFP 12/22 @ 12dpo
It's a GIRL...

ImageImage

girlstar
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Artemnesia » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:54 am

I've never heard anyone judge another mother for getting an epi or not. :?: So where do these references to judgement come from? :dunno:

And as for a natural birth being done as some kind of "stunt" or "heroic"-- that's not exactly fair. I'm not going to get an epidural because IMO my birth experience last time was made MORE painful and MUCH worse due to the interventions including and especially the epi. I never progressed after I got it, ended up with a horrible c-section with life-threatening complications. I know what type of pain is involved in labor, I went through 6 hours of it, induced no less so probably worse than it would've been. I will certainly be using comfort measures to reduce the pain, but my personal conclusion after looking into things is that I'll end up better off without being messed with this time. No "heroics" or "feminine machismo" or whatever :roll: -- just a desire to protect myself. That's it.
Erin, mama to Lilah (11/06) and Lex (1/09)

There are over a million living white blood cells in a single drop of breastmilk.
Artemnesia
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Labor & Delivery