Natural birth

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did you have a drug free birth??

Yes, I took nothing!
46%
No, I had an epidural
36%
No, I had drugs
5%
No, I had an epi and drugs!!
13%

Total votes : 130

Postby girlstar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:53 am

I wasn't referring to judgement strictly AGAINST and epi...just judgement in general. Like I said, all women have a unique experience and mine without the epi turned out to be an act of heroism because I had a life threatening drop in blood pressure and a very long labor, resulting in my son's hb dropping. Luckily, I delivered soon after, but I only think it's fair to me to allow myself the option of a different type of birth experience this time around. I could really care less what other people do 8) .

Next time I state my opinion, I guess I should be more prepared for people to get mad at me for it :( .
Heather-28
DH (29)
DS (4)
BFP 12/22 @ 12dpo
It's a GIRL...

ImageImage

girlstar
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sarahmarie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:13 am

I really want to do an all natural Water Birth! At first my Husband didn't really like the idea, but then he and I watched "The Business of Being Born" and now he is 100% on board. Does anyone else know of any good movies or books like that on Natural Birth?

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bluedisc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Sarahmarie,
I don't really know of any books/movies, but think it would be a great idea to talk to midwives who do water births, and women who've had water births, with your husband too, if you think that would reassure him.
Good luck!
Brionne
Brionne 45, ds 9, dd 4, ds 3
(In the picture - ds 6, dd 2, ds 7 months)
BFP 19th April 2010

bluedisc
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby krissy01 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 am

No drugs, no epidural here. I am really glad I made it through without. The nurses were amazed at how alert my son was... and I was able to get up and walk around almost immediately after birth. I had been in that bed for so long that I was SO glad I could get up and move around on my own! And I felt great - a bit hungry, but great.

I'm scared to death to do it again.. but I know it is the best thing for me and my LO, so I'm going to do my very best to suck it up and do it again!
krissy01
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Juliete83 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:35 am

when I had my 1st I didn't have anything , hope this one i will be able to take the pain like I did ..

Image Image

Juliete83
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kaykat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:22 am

I've had 5 natural deliveries and one nightmare induction/epi/c-section.

I'd never have another epi - i nearly died because of mine.
I agreed to one because I had a failed induction with DS2, we got to 10cm and 6hrs of pushing, he still wouldn't engage never mind come out, so a section was needed.

So I had an epi sited, it took three goes at placing the needle ( 8O ) then I needed three doses of drugs to numb me enough for the section.
I still felt some pain on my left side during the op (I felt the incision!), and the dose was increased again.

DS2 was delivered and had side effects from the sedatives in the epi, he needed resus and had hypothermia at birth.
Everything else with the op went well enough and I was sent to the observation ward to recover over night, that's when my problems started.
The epi crept up my spinal cord and paralysed me from my diaphragm down, and had difficulty swallowing.
I lost all movement in my left arm too - if I had been positioned to my right side I would have been suffocated.
I spent all night struggling to breathe propped up on pillows with an oxygen mask.
I was very lucky not to be ventilated.

I also suffered a spinal tab during the epi and had blinding headaches and dizziness for a week - usually the treatment for this is to lie flat but I couldn't due to the epi. :roll:

I got a blood patch to the epi site which helped the tap but I was in hospital for 6 days and ended up with a very nasty chest infection because I'd inhaled water shortly after the birth when a nurse tried to give me a drink.
Urgh never again!
Keep on wriggling little Lauchlan...<br />
kaykat
Angel
Angel

Postby Bubblewave » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:53 am

Kaykat: OMG, what a nightmare you had. How frightening 8O

I had an epidural but I guess I could have gone natural as they didnt give it to me till I was 6cm dilated! 8O
Bubblewave
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bluedisc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Katykat - That's truly terrifying. I hope you have all your movement back again. I've heard less than 1% of epidurals go wrong but when I saw what could go wrong, I decided that was something I'd really like to avoid. So sorry to hear what you went through and hope you and your baby are well recovered from the experience.
Brionne 45, ds 9, dd 4, ds 3
(In the picture - ds 6, dd 2, ds 7 months)
BFP 19th April 2010

bluedisc
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kaykat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks girls, we are both fine. 8)
DS2 was very sleepy for a couple of days and I was up and about pretty quickly.
He's 7 now and my gorgeous little man.
I don't regret the section - it was needed and I have my beautiful son because of it, but if I need another this time I'm asking for a general.
kaykat
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Labor & Delivery