Questions for the experienced moms

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did labor hurt more or less than you thought it would?

More
59%
Less
30%
Like bad menstral cramps
11%

Total votes : 120

Postby fodla » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:25 pm

It was way more intense than I expected. Not necessarily more painful, but definitely more intense.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dunes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

So how was your labor Tashi? Is it what you expected?

callah wrote:I'm a freak of nature. I seriously do not feel contractions from the start till the end at all. Like I don't know I'm in labour. A good thing and a scary bad thing at the same time. I had an induction due to Insulin dependant GD and I went through that not feeling any ctx at all.

I do feel the after pains though when nursing.

No wonder you have 6 kids! lol. My labor was probably closest to yours. I pushed for 4 hours and couldn't feel the contractions. At first I thought it was because of the position I was in, but it didn't matter what I did. I think it took so long because I was unsure of when to push! I also got to the hospital at 10 cm dilated and labored at home by myself. It was crazy!

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Dunes wrote:So how was your labor Tashi? Is it what you expected?

callah wrote:I'm a freak of nature. I seriously do not feel contractions from the start till the end at all. Like I don't know I'm in labour. A good thing and a scary bad thing at the same time. I had an induction due to Insulin dependant GD and I went through that not feeling any ctx at all.

No wonder you have 6 kids! lol. My labor was probably closest to yours. I pushed for 4 hours and couldn't feel the contractions. At first I thought it was because of the position I was in, but it didn't matter what I did. I think it took so long because I was unsure of when to push! I also got to the hospital at 10 cm dilated and labored at home by myself. It was crazy!

Whoa, can I have your labors next time? 8O

Okay, I actually had a pretty easy labor as labors go, but still... I definitely felt the contractions! Like so many people say, it was more an all over radiating ache and intensity than extreme pain. Until the very end, and that was really hard. But transition and pushing didn't last long, and I made it! :D
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Dunes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm

BeccaM wrote:
Dunes wrote:So how was your labor Tashi? Is it what you expected?

Whoa, can I have your labors next time? 8O

Okay, I actually had a pretty easy labor as labors go, but still... I definitely felt the contractions! Like so many people say, it was more an all over radiating ache and intensity than extreme pain. Until the very end, and that was really hard. But transition and pushing didn't last long, and I made it! :D

lol, I felt the contractions, but they didn't feel that strong to me. And I definitely didn't feel them during pushing, at all. Good for you for doing it drug free! :)

Dunes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby beautiful_ash » Sat May 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Worst pain I could have ever imaged... times 100,000. Absolutely nothing like menstrual cramps. My water broke very early on though, and I had no pain meds even though I screamed for them. 20 hour labor, 3 hours transition followed by almost 3 hours of pushing. Worst experience of my entire life!

That said, most people seem to have much better/easier birth experiences. I'm hoping my 2nd time around is a whole different story!
Me & DH - 27
DS1 - Born 9/27/10 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 8 oz.
DS2 - Born 12/13/12 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 9 oz.
Baby #3 - Due 5/1/14
11 DPO beta 42
18 DPO beta 2051
7w4d HB 156 Image
11w5d HB 160 Image

beautiful_ash
Addicted
Addicted

Postby cacton » Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 am

Back labor was excruciating pain unlike anything I had ever felt before. Every cell of my body felt like it was being twisted and ripped apart and that was at 2 cm. I handle pain well too, this I could not handle.

Regular labor with my 2nd was painful. I mean yes, it hurt alot but it was tolerable until I had my c-section (placenta previa and crippling spd.) I was 3 cm for a week and a half and I labored without med for 5 hours before I had my surgery. The ctx were one on top of another but I could deal with it. OB estimated me at 8cm when I finally got the spinal block.
Courtenay 35
DH 54
DS born 01/03/10
DD born 09/18/11
Image Image
cacton
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Questions for the experienced moms

Postby jessm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

I said it hurt more, but it also wasn't an awful as I thought it would be if that makes sense. I couldn't imagine the type of pain I would have, but the pain was more in the pressure than the type of pain I was expecting. So labor wasn't the awful experience I thought it would be, but it did hurt more than I thought it would. Overall, for me, it was an amazing experience.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby Clairebear » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 am

It's... different.
I had back labour and with back problems already it made it very hard to get comfortable. I also had a pitocin induction which gave me very strong contractions almost instantly, and they kept increasing my dose over 4 hrs.
I had a hot shower while I was having strong contractions and it helped til i got out of the shower, after that I could not get comfortable in any position for more then a minute... Having said that, I was 10cm by then!

It's weird to say but it felt like having a bad back ache and severe constipation. Much better end result then what you get after being constipated tho lol

I expected to swear my head off but I didn't, only swore once and appologized immediately to the whole room lol
I distinctly remember questioning why people go thru labour more then once ..(& 8 months later I'm expecting again lol!)
I managed to keep my sense of humor about me the whole time, so while it's painful it's a different kind of pain.

Think I started rambling on a bit but hope that makes sense and helps a bit

Clairebear
Addicted
Addicted

Postby meganmarie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:22 pm

I think it depends a lot on what your pain tolerance is to begin with. After multiple surgeries, I have come to realize mine is high. Plus, I have had years of really bad period cramps, so I really did not think the contractions were any worse than that. And fortunately, they weren't continuous like other kinds of pain where you don't know what's causing it or when it's going to end. I did, however, think the pushing part was worse than expected. I've heard people say you go numb b/c of all the pressure down there, but that's just not true. IT HURT. I even lied a couple of times and said I wasn't having a contraction just so I didn't have to push! At least that part didn't last long!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Lillizzy85 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm

It's hurts alot but like others say, It's a blur. It goes by fast when you're in active labor. I was induced and didnt even know I was in labor till my water broke (bad back ache) and by then I was a 5. I ended up having an epidural at 7 and had complications at 10 and had an emergency c section. I wish you a healthy and happy delivery! Good luck!
Me 30 dh 38
DD1 7
DD2 2

Lillizzy85
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 am

Just had my second baby (hey, if I can have a second 2 1/2 years later, it couldn't be that bad, right?? :) ) This one felt a little different. He was a few oz heavier so a similar size, but I felt more pain on my pubic bone at the end, almost like I was going to split in half, things were moving so quickly! But that incredible intensity only lasted 20 - 25 min or so. I only pushed for 9 minutes this time. It really wasn't any more painful than my last birth, maybe just slightly. It's just that the labor was faster and more intense, and my actual active labor vs. early labor was really only 4 hrs more or less, so I could really feel him moving down fast and it did hurt!! But I don't know... it doesn't last long and it just isn't that bad over all. I had a homebirth this time, so no option for pain medication. I used the tub at the end during transition and pushing, and that was helpful.

I wouldn't say it hurts more or less. I expect natural childbirth to hurt. It's just different than you might expect. I woudln't do it any other way! It's awesome!!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:05 am

Oddly enough, I didn't think about how much it hurt during labor. I was just getting through each contraction at a time and made it to the end. It was a blur, actually, for how long it was.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby StephStorm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm

To me being in labor feels like the equivalent of taking a powerful laxative x 5.
With my 1st I was induced and had an epi early on and didn't feel any contractions. Getting my water broken was super painful. I also couldn't feel if I was even pushing and ended up needing an episiotomy it was a horrible birth experience.

The 2nd time around I was 4cm at my weekly checkup and having on/off tolerable contractions but didn't want to go to the hosp. right away like my OB wanted to because I wasn't in excruciating pain. That night started contracting in the middle of the night I was so tired I would fall back asleep after a contraction, I woke up early in the AM to my water breaking and then the pain REALLY kicked in but I was 10cm in under an hr. I was too dilated to get an epi but in the long run i'm glad I didn't. Being able to feel that I was actually pushing during each contraction made the pain not as bad, pushing was actually a relief.
Stephanie 26
DH Patrick 34
Clover Jane 5
Kimberly Rose 2.5
Daisy Belle born 7/22/16

StephStorm
Star Member
Star Member

Postby NicoleRP » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

For me it definitely hurt, but it never felt unmanageable. Like I never felt like I was dying, or was being injured. I felt like it was something my body could handle. The worst was when my son was crowning. After that and before that it was doable.
Me: 32
DH: 33
Married: 2/14/09
1st BFP 12/25/11 - A boy, born 8/23/12
2nd BFP 11/20/13 - A girl, born 8/02/14
3rd BFP 11/2/16 - EDD 7/10/17

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
NicoleRP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Labor & Delivery