Questions for the experienced moms

Talk about your birth plan, ask questions, and share advice.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did labor hurt more or less than you thought it would?

More
59%
Less
30%
Like bad menstral cramps
11%

Total votes : 120

Postby sweetpea3 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 pm

bizzer wrote:The pain is different that any other pain you have experienced. Its pain with a purpose, which is how I got through it with no drugs. I just kept telling myself, "my body is made to do this." And i did it! I loved my birth experience. Just go in with an open mind!

same here. I chose to see it not as pain, but intensity. I refused to answer the pain scale question b/c I chose to not see it that way. This takes some mental conditioning and prep beforehand, but it can lead to a pain-free (but very intense) and amazing experience. Both were for me. Yes, they were hard and long and all, but I had mantras I kept repeating to myself and willed my body to totally relax during contractions to "surrender" to allow my body to do what it needed to do to open and give birth. If you expect pain, your body will tense up and you WILL feel INTENSE pain. My best advice to you (I've done it 2x) is to work thru the fear NOW.
sweetpea3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Susy07 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:18 pm

sweetpea3 wrote:willed my body to totally relax during contractions to "surrender" to allow my body to do what it needed to do to open and give birth. If you expect pain, your body will tense up and you WILL feel INTENSE pain. My best advice to you (I've done it 2x) is to work thru the fear NOW.

i agree!! relaxing during contractions is the best method. wen i tensed up it felt worse. even with my af cramps (which i had BAD) relaxing helped a LOT.
I'm Susy (27) Dh is Tyler (29)
Baby angel lost at 5 weeks in May 2007.
William Christian. Born Dec 14 2008,
Baby angel lost at 8w4d. Miscarried at 11w1d in Nov 2010.
Rachel Amber, Born Feb 29th, 2012
Baby angel, 9w2d. Partial molar pregnancy, lost Sept 1, 2013
Tessa Breanne born Nov 10, 2014
Susy07

Postby LaurenAshley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 pm

the beginning was EASY if you relaxed, but towards the end, the pressure was the hard part. Pushing helped a lot! But honestly, it cant be too bad if we are willing to do it again right? :wink:
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:06 pm

With DS1 it was far more painful than I had imagined. I had planned on getting nice and drugged up and that didn't really happen as I had anticipated. And, well, it was a long and complicated labor, so I'm pretty confident it sort of surpassed what is "normal" in terms of pain.

With DS2 I was expecting the worst and it was a exactly the opposite of DS1's and was way easier than I pictured it.

Every labor is different, but I say if you go in expecting the worst, it will probably go pretty smoothly for you and be a lot easier than you expected. LOL
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tashi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Lol, thanks :)
Me: 25 DH: 27
TTC almost 2 years (5 rnds of Clomid etc). BFP June 08!!
7/9 1st US, measured 8mm, :hb: 128
7/24 1st visit with OB right on schedule! 8w6d :hb: 179
17w5d :hb: 142
We are having a little girl!
EDD 2/26

Tashi
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Lizc0002 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm

With DD it was less painful than I expected, but she was born at 32 weeks and I got an epidural when I was at 4cm, so I never felt the worst of the pain.

With DS, it was way worse than I ever could have imagined. I went from 1cm to 10 in 1 1/2 hours while I was waiting for them to get my blood work back from the lab so I could get my epidural. I always said I would never be that woman screaming while in labor, but I was, I could not help it. That being said, I am pregnant again, yet I am not terrified to go through it again so even though it can hurt very badly, trust me it is not something to be terrified of.

Liz
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby danielle-g » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 pm

I have awful- disabling period cramps... but I can't say that labor was what I thought it would be, It actually hurt LESS than what I thought- I was induced and had pitocin which made the contractions much stronger and more painful than they were suppose to be at the point I was at- yet, I still found it easy to breathe through... it was better than I thought it would be.

To be honest the worst pain during my entire 12 hours of labor was getting checked to see how far along I was- that is what sent me over the edge ...

I was in labor a good 8 hours before asking for an epi- and ended up with a c/s... but I remember labor pretty well and I didn't think it was too bad, it all depends on the individual though.
military wife to a deployed soldier
(dd) haidenne 5.12.04
(dd) ella rose- 6.29.09 - via successful VBAC
First time surro-mommy - EDD 1/16/2012
danielle-g
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 am

AmandaP wrote:You know the pain scale of 1-10 they constantly ask you about at the hospital... I now know what a 10 is. :twisted:

I know, any time someone asks me on the scale, I think of labor and I'm like, well crap, a 2? lol
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 am

I had a swift back labor with a stuck baby... at eight centimeters she was wedged in place, and every contraction was just pushing my pelvis apart.

I won't lie, I said the pain was a 9 out of 10 only because I haven't had third degree burns and I thought maybe they'd be worse. I was shocked that I could be in that much pain and not faint or have an endorphin rush or SOMETHING to get me away from it.

But... don't freak out about it. Even with my pretty-bad labor (which ended in a c-section), I'm totally going to have another baby. There are a couple of things that make it bearable.

The first is that when you're in labor, you're in labor. That's it. That's what it's like. There's no more wondering or worrying or fear... you're in the moment and you're handling it the way you're handling it. That's way better that the fear you feel ahead of time.

The second is that when you're in labor, you're out of the space-time continuum. Every contraction seems to last an hour, but every hour zips by like a minute.

And then when it's over, it's OVER!!! You never have to have that baby again!!! YAAAAY!!!
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 am

This is so hard to answer. Yes, labor was painful, extremely painful. With my son, I got an epi but was induced and my contractions were nonstop. With my daughter, I think each individual contraction was more painful (the pressure is really incredible...I agree that that was the worst part) but I had nice long breaks in between each one once they got super extreme (no pain meds with her). I did have a "sunny side up" baby, though, so that had a lot to do with the extreme pain and back labor that I experienced. I can't even describe pushing. Yeah, it hurt, yeah, it was intense, BUT once I finally got to that point all I wanted was to get that baby OUT. I only had to push my daughter for 13 minutes because I was just so relieved when my midwife said I could start that part of the process--I knew the worst of it was coming to an end. And now I have my gorgeous children and I know that next time, I will do it au naturel again. So it couldn't have been that bad, right?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Okay - so I marked "less" than I thought, but here is the thing. I was in soooooo much pain, but hormones make me look back and think, yeah, that wasn't AAWWFFFULLL, but it was, the worst pain of my life.

Which I should back up with - I haven't had much pain other than paper cuts, some cramps, stubbing my toe. You get it.

And I should also say I had 6 min long contractions that WERE FREAKING intense and I only got a super short break between (30 seconds?).

But at this point, I would like to remind you to go up and read that I marked this, that it hurt less than I thought it would. Are you confused yet? Because so am I.

All I have to say is, YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT. It isn't a cake walk, but if you are scared, it won't be as bad as you think it is. You will be amazing, do amazing and have an amazing baby. You won't think about the pain a year later, and if you do, it will be NBD. You have got this!
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:21 pm

I didn't answer because the cramps, surges, intensity changed as labor progressed.
When I first went into labor, it did feel like period cramps or like I ate a bad meal and needed to poo very badly.

Don't pysch yourself out though, it was tolerable for me as the body produces hormones to help with the pain.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 am

Less, actually. Except for transition and the very moment I pushed him out (I tore), it wasn't so bad. It was hard, intense and took a lot of physical, emotional and mental relaxation and concentration, but it wasn't impossible or excruciatingly painful.

I never had pain meds of any kind. I just used relaxation techniques, exercises, positions and a hot shower. It seemed to work enough for me.

I had myself so expecting horrible, excruciating, sharp pain. It was more of a dull, constricting, intense kind of painful feeling. Not like an injury. Kind of like menstrual cramps, only stronger, more constricting, more overwhelming.

I just kept reminding myself that I was made to do this and it was okay, and took one contraction at a time, and I made it!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby caz1234 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 am

For me I think it was very much as I thought it would be. Though I was expecting more menstrual like cramps the pain was a lot sharper and intense.

I found the pushing very difficult as I was so exhausted by then and you dont really have any stomach muscles which is what I felt I needed - as they have been so stretched. I dont really remember feeling the ring of fire at all. I had gas and air and it just made me feel woozy so this time round I am hoping to do it naturally with no meds.

:D
Me 34 DP 39

DD took 12 months TTC
This one happened straight away!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
caz1234
Angel
Angel

Postby callah » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am

I'm a freak of nature. I seriously do not feel contractions from the start till the end at all. Like I don't know I'm in labour. A good thing and a scary bad thing at the same time. I had an induction due to Insulin dependant GD and I went through that not feeling any ctx at all.

I do feel the after pains though when nursing.
Me Carmen
Dh Dylan
DD Madison 16
DD Kennedie 11
DS Garrett 9
DS Cole 4
DS Ty 2
DS Ledger June 18th, 2012 (3 1/2 hour before our induction!)
Birth Doula certifying with both DONA and CAPPA!
callah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Labor & Delivery