In need of your opinion please

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Solids 5.5 months...

Start?
20%
Wait?
80%

Total votes : 10

In need of your opinion please

Postby peterpan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 pm

So I just took 5.5 month old to the dr

My husband thought she was having ear problems bc of just getting over a URI.

I thought teeth coming in or just plain ole growth spurt or not satisfied.

Well the dr said she was fine medically and no teeth in site. She concluded from how she gnaws on me, yells in frustration, pushed and pulls at my nipple and pulls away, and is up nursing 2-3 hours always... She's, u got it, unsatisfied. She has a growing interest in food, grabs my cups and pulls them and drinks from them, gums anything I'm eating.

My question is that the dr said I could wait the 2 weeks til she's 6 months even and my supply will try and catch up with her needs and hope her night rants fade with it, or start solids.

I feel like I should wait because most of what I read says wait till 6 months, but will the 2 weeks make a difference? Will boosting my supply make a difference if I'll just be starting food in 2 weeks?

Opinions!, comments, questions, concerns?

Start or Wait?
peterpan
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby melissasue » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:05 pm

I didn't vote, it's really up to you. IMO she's close enough to 6 months, so you could start. BUT, it really sounds like she's teething and possibly having a growth spurt. She's at that age. Sounds like she's doing her job to up your supply, the more she's on your breast, the more milk you'll make. Hang in there mama, this will pass! :D
ImageImage
My boobie monsters Sophie Grace 8/17/06(yes, I'm still nursing her) *Annabelle Sage 6/18/08
melissasue
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakobsMomma » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:16 pm

I don't think waiting or starting will make TOO huge of a difference...but that being said, when you do start, go slow! I upped the intake very quickly with my LO because he just loved food so much, and that was a big mistake. It made me struggle with nursing and I definitely took a hit in the milk department. I'm just warning you because it's very tempting to keep shoveling the solids in when they're such little piggies about it!
JakobsMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi, just thought i'd say that when i went for my 8week check up, my pedi told me that they are starting to tell mothers to give their chn solids at 5 months, because the waiting until 6mths isn't working to prevent allergies and things like Celiacs. This is what I've been told in Australia, so not sure what the call is overseas...
My 1st DS stopped drinking at 5mo, i started solids and that's what got him through until he started to drink more again... - although it's not great on the milk supply, so I guess it depends on how long you are wanting to BF for...
Good luck!
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Blakes_Mummy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:09 pm

IMO I'd up the nursing sessions. It COULD be teething - teeth getting ready to come down (which Blake was ALWAYS fussy with even though there was no "lump" or white bites but guarenteed within a few days there was), it COULD be a growth spurt but then again it could be that she's ready.

IMHO I would up the nursing sessions.. As a pp said solids at 6 months is more of a taste & texture & experimental thing rather than for filling & nutrition - part of why mums who's LOs don't take to food until MUCH MUCH later aren't really too stressed.
BM is the ultimate source of nutrition for the first year (in a bf baby of course) & should be given before each "meal" taste & it should be a normal session not cut short.

Molly I was told that too but as it is said.. Pedis aren't extrememly well versed in nutrition.. Just basics, now a nutritionist.. Different story. Actually a woman not all that long ago stated that her DH is a Doctor & he openly admitted about not knowing in depth about bfing to give indepth advice.
Organisations like WHO (World Health Organisation for those who don't know :) ) recommend not until 6 months.. It SHOULD be the standard & not have every country "doing their own thing" I mean.. is an Australian baby's gut more mature than one from the US? LOL! :)
(Given the latest tension around here I want to state that I'm NOT picking at you.. Just explaining where this 5 month thing shouldn't be spouted from Pedis cause it's just not true.. 4 weeks is a LONG time in utero.. For babies 4 weeks is a long time for development too)

Blakes_Mummy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby emoprincesa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I said wait because solids are such a hassle, IMO. Babies get such little nutrition from them...they are more for practice and to experience new tastes and textures for the first year.

Just because baby is gnawing and pulling at the cup doesn't necessarily mean that they're ready for solids...that's just what curious babies do. They grab and gnaw and put things in their mouths. If YOU are ready, I sat go for it, but I don't think you need to if you're not ready.
Amber (27) Mommy to Brayden ( 07.07.07 ) and Ava ( 09.09.08 )
emoprincesa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommyKristy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:37 pm

I just wanted to add that just because you start solids does not mean that your LO will sleep better or nurse less at night.
I didn't vote. I say if you see other signs that baby is ready for solids and you are ok with starting them, then go ahead. We started DS just past 5 mo and he did great with them, but like a pp pointed out, some kids don't do solids until 8 or 9 months.
Good luck with what you decide.
Charles Grady born on May 24, 2008 at 2:59pm. 7lbs. 10oz. 20in long
Matthew born May 14, 2010 at 2:00am. 8lbs. 12oz. 20.5in long
MommyKristy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby peterpan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:37 pm

yes i have long term goals...hoping to reach a year :D

i told my family...mom and mother n law ...and of course my husband about what the dr said and they were all about me starting her. i felt a bit of pressure. but they all said about a teaspoon at night. my husband is just antsy i think. i was very weary but just wanted to see her reaction. i gave her some and she sucked it off the spoon the first two bites...then refused it after, spiting it out.

i MIGHT try it again tom night. if she doesnt go for it better since she was exhausted tonight, ill hold off another week or two. im in no rush. but i wanted to see if that was the reason shes so fussy at the breast or eating so often which it doesnt seem to be the case cause i put her down 30 mins ago and shes already screaming.

thats a whole other feat in itself :cry: :x :?: :?: :!: :| :help:

but thank you ladies so much for your replies, input, and votes. you are always soo helpful :jump: :grouphug:

ill be back to tell more, but baby needs some boobie lol
peterpan
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby emoprincesa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I just wanted to tell you that for a few nights Ava had quit STTN (after doing it for like 3 months). So on Saturday I diced up some bananas (first time) for her (we are skipping purees). She got so excited and then I put one in her mouth and she looked at me like, "WTF are you doing???" She wanted nothing of that... :lol: So, don't feel bad, try again in a few days/weeks...it will get better :)
Amber (27) Mommy to Brayden ( 07.07.07 ) and Ava ( 09.09.08 )
emoprincesa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby melissasue » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add. My daughter is almost 9 months old and she is barely starting solids. We keep trying, but she is NOT interested in purees. (darn, I had so much fun whirling stuff up for dd#1) She does seem to like crackers and bread, so I let her gnaw on that. Take it slow and see what happens. If your dd is not liking solids, no use stressing yourself!
ImageImage
My boobie monsters Sophie Grace 8/17/06(yes, I'm still nursing her) *Annabelle Sage 6/18/08
melissasue
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I don't think trying avocado or banana could hurt too much, but I wouldn't push it. I have read, and correct me if I'm wrong, that solids should only be introduced as a supplement to BF'ing (or FF'ing) but not a replacement, so you should BF just as much as baby needs and only offer solids as an extra snack or "funtime" activity.

I know many people wonder "What's the big deal about starting solids early?" and I couldn't answer that until I read this....very interesting!! Our bodies are AWESOME!!

"The infant gut needs at least 6 months to mature. Before 6 months, the cells lining baby's intestines are far apart, which allows proteins to enter baby's bloodstream if they are fed to baby (and not just meat as in protein, but proteins are found everywhere...fruits, veggies, grains, etc.). If any food other than breastmilk is given before baby's gut is mature, proteins enter the bloodstream, and an allergic reaction can be triggered, and you may not see the effects of it for years. So a baby who is given rice cereal at 4 months may SEEM okay, but then all of a sudden when the baby grows up, and is a child, she develops asthma...gee, wonder why?

When the infant gut matures, the lining cells of the intestine become much closer together. Food is no longer an issue as far as allergens go, but you must be sure that your baby meets ALL of the developmental signs of readiness. When all of the signs are present, then your baby's gut is most likely mature."

I'm sure others will have much more detailed answer and a full list of "readiness" signs. :D
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby peterpan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 am

Wonderful info ladies! All of you thank you so much so far. Why am I not on this board more often ! :dunno: :D

When I tried last night it was truly only an experiment. I'm not looking for a replacement at all ... I think that's my fear. Shell end up loving it soon and then ... Dun dun dunnn- shun the boobs. But honestly at this point on the nursing fad she's on lately, and pretty much always, I don't really see that. You see how nuts I am! Making this a big deal when it probably shouldn't be! :lol:

And no...even tho she only ingested about a teaspoon or so last night, the solid sleep longer myth is a no go here. She was up about 30 mins into bedtime and didn't settle down until an hour and a half later >:/

But! She did sleep [u]about[\u] 4 hours straight last night! :D I woke up feeling like a champ! I think were onto something here ;)

So another question while I have some of you, how do you work on latch at this age? My LO has this thing now that she loses suction almost the entire session making lots of noise...:dunno:
peterpan
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommyKristy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:43 am

With her latch, she may just be distracted by things going on around her. trying to look at other things that are going on, turning her head, etc. will cause a poor latch. She also may not be focused on what she's doing because of the distractions and so she doesn't get a seal. That could also be the reason she's nursing more often - she isn't taking in as much milk with a poor latch.
Nursing in a quiet, dark or dim room may help.
Charles Grady born on May 24, 2008 at 2:59pm. 7lbs. 10oz. 20in long
Matthew born May 14, 2010 at 2:00am. 8lbs. 12oz. 20.5in long
MommyKristy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby peterpan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:25 am

Well that's the thing. Alot of the times it's at night when we are in a dark quiet room. Maybe she's still sleeping and can't focus LOL
peterpan
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding