Hooter Hider or No Hooter Hider?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Do you use a "hooter hider" or nursing cover when NIP?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 58

Hooter Hider or No Hooter Hider?

Postby imdesired » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Just wanted to do a poll here, and see what others do.

Just wondering who uses a hooter hider in public, and who doesn't.

Also, if you want to comment where if you only use it in certain places or what?
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amylynn08 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:28 pm

we used it at first... now I say no, unless feeling really awkward like say a family picnic where there are not other nursing moms, or lots of old men...

but now I am normally good to go... I still like privacy at my in laws though...
Me:AmyLynn DH: Joel DD:Annaliese Taliah
Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Natural Parenting.
http://muskokabearbums.blogspot.com/
amylynn08
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I generally do the stretchy tank down under the boob/shirt up over the boob combo for NIP.

But if it's really, really crowded, or if I feel really conspicuous (like if people are staring), then I might throw a blanket over my shoulder to get him latched on.

But seriously. I live in San Francisco. You see more private parts while walking down the street than I've EVER flashed nursing. I've never had anyone look or stare when I've been going about my regular business around town.

The only places I've gotten stared at have been places that were full of tourists, while I was playing tour guide for friends and relatives! Ha!
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby imdesired » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 pm

^ Haha, Bren. I can only imagine! I was in your city once, and well.. ya.

I used a HH in the beginning, when she was newborn and my boobs were 2x the size of her head, and the whole latchthing, hold hte neck thing, ect.

We don't use one anymore. Like Bren said, every now and then I throw a blanket over to get latched on, or even a spit up rag or something small to just cover the area.

IMO HH almost draw more attention.
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby courtneymsp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:27 pm

I used one a few times - too difficult. Then I went to nursing shirt and blankets. Now I just whip it out :lol:
I am discreet, though!
ImageImage

ImageImage

me-34
dh-35
dd-arrived on February 10th, 2009
ds-arrived on May 12th, 2010
courtneymsp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Seems like more of a hassle than anything else. I don't cover up at all and I really don't think anyone can see anything.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Toribear5 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:01 pm

i used one today while nursing Brett at DH's soccer game. We both teach at the HS and I didn't want my students to see ANY part of me like that!
Tori: 31 DH:29
BFing, BWing, XRFing, baby food making, sign language teaching loving Mama!
Brett Thomas born March 17, 2009
Clara Rose born May 6, 2011

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Toribear5
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~FairyMama~ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 pm

If you are more comfortable using one, and the baby cooperates then I say Yes.

I bought one, but by the time I started to try using it my son was just grabbing it and pulling it up, like it was a game of peek a boo, or should I say peek a boob :P So it kind of was no point in putting it on. But for my next baby while they are still small I will probably use one, I'm shy and have been very uncomfortable the times I nursed with no cover in public.
DS: 10/2008
TTC #2 since 10/2009
Early Loss: 8/2011
BFP: 11/2014!!
~FairyMama~
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MamaWasson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Totally depends on the clothing I am wearing!!! I ALWAYS wear a tank top under any shirt I wear that way I dont have to bear my stomach to nurse, but normally (depending on the tightness in the shirt) the top shirt will provide enough coverage! I was shopping at Khols the other day nursing while shopping and NO ONE noticed, and if they did they didnt act like it!! I always use my cover at my familys house and the in laws house, because these people have obviously been uncomfortable with it in the past. Also if I am at my daughters school for any activities simply bc I dont want to offend anyones parents, when the kids talk about the boob shot they got at school that day! LOL!
So It depends!!
MamaWasson
Star Member
Star Member

Postby fiddlist » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Toribear5 wrote:i used one today while nursing Brett at DH's soccer game. We both teach at the HS and I didn't want my students to see ANY part of me like that!

ITA. I teach too, and I don't like my students to see me like that. I have one class on Fridays that I like to take her to, but I have to feed her before hand. I feed her before the class when no one is in the room (ideally...) I try to have a cover available just in case, but it's virtually impossible. I've pretty much given up on the HH thing. Usually I wear a button down shirt and unbutton it from the bottom so the other half of the shirt stays down. It's pretty discreet that way. Today I couldn't find a clean one :oops: so I tucked one corner of a blanket under the bra strap of the boob I was nursing off of in case someone came in.

IMO, more trouble that it's worth.

By the way, I love my sleeping nursing bra because I don't have to unhook anything up by the strap. I saw a YouTube video of some girl with a nursing bra that hooks in the middle...anyone know where to find one? I find the reattachment of the bra snap the most awkward part of NIP.
Meg and James
Olivia, born 6/6/09
Emily, born 11/29/11

fiddlist
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby molly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I used to when DS was a newborn and I wasn't confident on getting him on, but after a month or so i didn't bother, as I always wear a singlet top underneath my top, so i just pull it under my boob. When DS feeds, you can't see anything. And he gets too hot if I cover his head.
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby gracesmom04 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I use a cover. It's a PITB sometimes, but I can't imagine doing it without one. :)
Kylie
:angel: DD 7/12/06 (lost at 20w-Turner syndrome) & M/C-2/25/07, 5/7/07 & 12/07

ImageImageImage
gracesmom04
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:59 pm

The cover just annoys me and Leah, so I don't use it unless we're inside a restaurant. I always carry mine with me though b/c it makes a great sunshade if you ever have to nurse in the car.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kates » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:27 pm

I like to use one at the inlaws, I just can't get comfortable just whipping it out. Oddly enough I haven't had to NIP very often yet, and the times I've been out, I've fed in the car because it was the most comfortable and convenient way of doing it. DD still needs a little help making the mouth to nipple connection so I haven't mastered discreet nursing yet.
~Katie~
momma to Alexa-5/09, our IVF baby
Surprise BFP! 4/15/12
:hb: at 6w3d, measuring perfectly!
Tyler Scott- due Christmas Day!
kates
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Toribear5 wrote:i used one today while nursing Brett at DH's soccer game. We both teach at the HS and I didn't want my students to see ANY part of me like that!

Oh - I totally agree with this, too. I nursed in the car at our work picnic, because really - I don't need everyone I work with seeing my boobs, even if it's just for a split second. That would be weird for me.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Breastfeeding