how to survive thrush!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Postby jadie_f » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks you! I have heard you can scald the frozen milk to kill the yeast, I hope this is true b/c I dont want to waste my stash
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Good advice! Would you consider adding it to one of the stickies at the top? Could make a big difference for future mamas :)
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby munchiemom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I tell everyone this...and I've probably said it on this board over and over again...but Neutrogena face wash works for me!

I know you aren't supposed to wash your boobs with anything really...but I'm very prone to yeast infections under my breasts. I got one while I was pregnant and did a lot of research on it. I found that a lot of people swore that salycilic acid (the active ingredient in some acne washes) worked for them. I asked my doctor if I could use it...and he said anything over the counter was fine.

I started using Neutrogena face wash (I like the pink grapefruit kind) under and between my boobs and the yeast was gone within 3 days. I continued using it every time I showered to keep from getting it again. Once I had the baby, I started using it all over my boobs because I thought it might prevent thrush. I would always put on Medela lanolin when I got out and let them air dry so they wouldn't get chapped or anything.

Anyway...I never got thrush...until I ran out of the Neutrogena. I was out for about a week or two and came down with a HORRIBLE case of thrush. It was driving me crazy!!! I got more of the Neutrogena and started using it again instead of the stuff the doc prescribed for the thrush. Within 3 days, the thrush was gone. It hasn't been back since.

Be sure that, if you use this method, that you stick to the lanolin when you get out of the shower. The face wash will dry out your nipples badly if you don't use the lanolin. This regimen works great for me to get rid of and prevent thrush!

- Kelli
WAHM, Homeschool teacher to:
DS - 09/25/97
DS - 02/03/99
DD - 04/06/09

www.psalm105.com
munchiemom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:57 pm

We just got our first case! yuck. But I don't think it's a bad case. I did some research and if you want to try a natural route, these are supposed to help.

1) Put both you and baby on probiotics. Open capsule and pour half into baby's bottle once a day. (Or rub some of the powder on your nipple bf latch on. You take 1-2 capsules a day. (Good bacteria helps keep down the growth of things like thrush.) This may take longer to see results but is good for prevention.

2) Coconut oil- is an anti-fungal. Make sure it's pure, raw, virgin. Rub some inside baby's mouth & onto your nips after each feeding. (It's very easily digestible, so it shouldn't hurt baby at all.) This worked really well f/ us.

3) Grapefood Seed Extract (haven't tried this yet)- is also a powerful anti-fungal. MAKE SURE YOU DILUTE IT!!! as it's very strong. Put a couple drops in an ounce of water and do the same as with the coconut oil.
Last edited by dee12h on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:52 am

Wow, wish I'd had someplace like this when I was BFing DD almost 7 years ago...I didn't even know I could HAVE IT on my nipples until well after the fact...it ruined BFing for us as I wasn't treated so ended up with blisters which have left small scars on my nips.
I'll keep this sticky in mind in case thrush comes up again for the little sprout as I WILL be BFing again!
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby A&J's Mom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 pm

We're going through a nasty case of thrush right now. :( I just came discovered that nobody has mentioned one of the best ways to treat thrush, gentian violet.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfe ... olet_2.htm
A&J's Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tatuchick4u2c » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm

What does it look like I mean what shouldi be watching for?
wow it really does only take 1 time!!!! And now I am saying that a second time ;)

tatuchick4u2c
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby A&J's Mom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 pm

tatuchick4u2c wrote:What does it look like I mean what shouldi be watching for?

painfully sore, or burning nipples, or shap pains within breast after a period of being pain free.

I've tried to find info about a GV recall and I can't find anything. :dunno: Where did she post it? I can't find it when I search. I asked an LC about it today and she hadn't heard anything either. Although GV worked really well, I've since learned that treatment of thrush should often be continuted for two weeks, and dealing with the mess for two weeks or longer is just not working for me. Everything in my house is turning purple.

On the advice of an LC I've started treating my recurrent thrush with grapefruit seed extract, and coconut oil, after every feeding. She said to use them for at least two weeks, and then to slowly wean from it, and reuse if I get sore. I've also taken an oral diflucan. Anders is on Nystatin drops. Keeping my fingers crossed, this thrush stuff really sucks.
A&J's Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rleash » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

This is my absolute favorite link for thrush.. it tells you everything you need to know:

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html

We had a BAD case of it when Noah was about 4 weeks old that had me in tears every day. I tried probiotic yogurt and pills, I sterlized EVERYTHING after each use, and I even spent a couple of days just pumping/bottle feeding only (making me truly pity the women who have to do that. It was awful!)

The doctor had prescribed Nystatin which cleared up his diaper rash and helped relieve us a little for a few days, but didn't get rid of it. After trying this treatment for 2 weeks, I finally called him back and begged for Diflucan. The Diflucan was GREAT.. it cleared us both up completely in 24 hours.
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby A&J's Mom » Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 pm

After 3 long months of dealing with nipple pain, blisters, cracks, intense burning and mastitis, I was finally correctly diagnosed with a staph infection infection, not thrush. The symptoms are the same, with the exception of having a symptom-free baby (which can also happen with thrush). I feel lucky to have seen an MD who specializes in breastfeeding- she said many recurrent thrush cases are in fact staph infections. I just wanted to put that out there,cause I hadn't heard it before.
A&J's Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Breastfeeding