Info or questions about Exclusively Pumping

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Info or questions about Exclusively Pumping

Postby jennellis » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 am

I hope this will be a place where we can talk and share about EP. There is a lot of info but talking to people who have done it seems to help so much more.

Here is a pretty good site with a lot of info: www.exclusivelypumping.com

If you have any advice for mothers EP please post it here.

I will say that EP is not an easy thing to do, it takes a lot of time and energy.
When I EP after DS wouldn't/couldn't nurse I was really stressed because I knew I didnt establish a good supply and that it would be hard with the pump. I eventually had to stop becasue my milk dried up.
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Sat May 29, 2010 8:25 pm

In the early colostrum days, hand express into a syringe. You lose less to splatter lining the shield and bottle and it's good practise knowing how to hand express.

Make sure you have the right sized shields.

Wear nursing pads even if you don't leak, especially cloth ones. The extra padding is really nice when your nipples are aching from the vacuum of the pump.

If your nipples are becoming hard raspberries of pain, hand express every second session to give your nipples a break.

Learn your let-down triggers and make sure they're available when you need to pump.

Make your pumping routine a top priority. Visitors, shopping, cleaning etc can all wait as pumping has priority. If your baby is screaming, sure, go to them, soothe them, but even better is to sit them beside you while you pump so you don't miss or overly delay the session.

Keep the overnight sessions going at least until your supply is well established. If you ever get a supply dip or freezer stash emergency you may need to pick up the 2am session again.

Have multiple shield sets, and keep them in the fridge between sessions to reduce how often you're washing up.

Keep an esky beside your bed for the overnight sessions so you don't have to get up all the way. This helps a lot with getting sleep.

If you ever have an under or over supply, consider milkshare: http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

Try manual breast massage and hand expressing at the end of your pumping session to boost supply:
http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeed ... ction.html

A double electric pump is really nice for long term pumping, but isn't necessarily essential. I got through Talia's 3 month NICU stay of EP'ing with a dodgy single electric pump that sounded like a meat grinder (medela single deluxe electric), an avent isis manual pump, and a medela lactina manual pump that I'd get DH to work with the tubes plugged in so I could double pump occasionally. I had a huge oversupply and had to thaw and throw over 20L (over 5 gallons I think) of expressed milk because I didn't need it and it had expired and there were no milk banks within 8 hours drive of our house.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jennellis » Sat May 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Pixie- thank you so much for posting here. I hope some other ladies will chime in with some info.
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby southern-belle » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 am

I'm an EP'er, but don't really have much advice. I just pump 5 times a day for 30 minutes each time. It's time consumming and a pain in the butt, but I am happy she is getting breastmilk. Once you get into a routine it is not as bad as in the beginning, I never thought I would last a week, and she will be 11 weeks tomorrow. We started EP'ing at 3 weeks. My initial goal was 3 months, and now that I'm almost there I'm hoping to make it through the summer, and then maybe 6 months. I also have a 4 year old, so that is tough having to occupy and care for him too.
southern-belle
Angel
Angel

Postby jadie_f » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:02 pm

oh boy, and EP sticky, yay!!!!!

I have been EPing for 8 months, and there isnt a ton of good EP info out there. Its like a secret society of BFers. Outsiders. We dont use formula, but we dont have the special BF relationship with our LO, though we may get the rare latch, which is so beautiful and special when it does happen.

the first 12 weeks are crucial to establishing supply. It is likely that in the beginning you will get an oversupply, which isnt necessarily a horrible thing, though it can make LO poop green because of the high lactose content. Eventually it will even out.

I like soft breastsheilds, more gentle, more output from my experience.

I pumped at least 8-10 tmes a day for the first 6 weeks, then 7-8 for up to 12 weeks. Then I reduced to 6 times a day, at 5 months 5 times a day, and at 7 months 4 times a day, and still maintain the same output.

Powerpumping is amazing, but only works if you do it daily and drink extra fluids

breastmilk can stay good at room temp longer then they say it can

Boy does frozen, thawed BM smell funky, but many babies still drink it, and its still perfectly healthy, so dont throw it out

Have a back up freezer for your stash, losing a stash is devastating

Though many people say no pump can empty your breasts like your baby can, this isnt always true. My pump empties my breasts faster and more effectively than my daughter ever did, plus you can adjust time and suction on a pump. I can pump 18 ounces in one sitting, but my DD could never drink that much on her own

ITA thats its hard, really hard. But it is possible, it gets easier, and anyone can do it. Most EPers wish they could nurse vs EP, but I will EP for as long as I can, because seeing my baby smile at me with the chubby cheeks I helped make, makes all this absolutely worth it
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jennellis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

jadie-what kind of pump do you use? Were you ever able to nurse or did you pump from the beginning?
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bistin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Something I wish I would've known when I had to pump in the hospital after giving birth is to BRING OLIVE OIL. I had to dry pump with very small flanges on nipples that had blood blisters from a bad latch. After I started lubricating with olive oil it felt much less painful.
Me: 20 DH: 21
Proud breastfeeding, free birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing mommy.

bistin
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jadie_f » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:53 am

jennellis wrote:jadie-what kind of pump do you use? Were you ever able to nurse or did you pump from the beginning?

I did only nurse in the beginning, its a very long story but DD had major colic, digestive issues, and I had an oversupply from day one, fire hydrant letdown and she would latch great but rip off the breast with letdown, causing me a lot of pain and mastitis. To help her I started to pump and save all my foremilk, and give her only hindmilk. It just grew from there.

I have a Medela Freestyle, I always knew I would return to work BFing, and I often have to pump as I work, so it was so worth it to me. I have even pumped during meetings wearing a shawl and no one was the wiser. I love this pump, its expensive, but for me, worth every penny.
Di Di Ci Ci

jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby southern-belle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:40 pm

I have the Ameda Purely Yours (using it again with my DS) and I always wish I spent more and got the Medela. The Ameda works fine though.
southern-belle
Angel
Angel

Postby bistin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

southern-belle wrote:I have the Ameda Purely Yours (using it again with my DS) and I always wish I spent more and got the Medela. The Ameda works fine though.

Funny, I always wished I had gotten the Ameda.

Want to trade? Lmfao

I'm just terrified of having my pump break because I heard medela is horrible when I comes to replacements or replacement parts and Ameda doesn't argue with you.
Plus I like the idea of complete control over the suction speed and the strength and how it doesn't contaminate the pump.

Ladies who are also stay at home moms: what are you doing when your LOs stay awake pretty much all day? I find myself blasting music in my headphones to drown out the screaming, doesn't help with my let down at all it just makes me tense.

Also, are you still wearing breast pads? If you don't, are you still applying lanolin?
Proud breastfeeding, free birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing mommy.

bistin
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Mrs_Lurker » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 am

Bistin - I've had great experiences with Medela, personally. They've sent me free tubing, and a free battery pack now. It was great, didn't have to pay a dime. They were really nice about it, too.

I have a 3 year old as well as my 4.5 month old, and it's challenging. My eldest child is always asking me if I'm done pumping yet, and for now, I keep the baby beside me, or just in the swing. If I have to, I'll just unhook the tubing to tend to whatever he needs.

Yes, I'm still wearing breast pads, because I do get random let downs sometimes. I don't like Lanolin, so don't use it. I prefer APNO if I'm getting chafed or irritated, and use olive oil in my horns. IMO, the olive oil works the best out of everything I've tried.
Lily
DD born 3/30/07
DS born 2/3/10 w/ OI type I
M/C 6/29/11 (4wks)
#3 EDD: 10/3/12
Beta @ 13 dpo - 172
3/26/12 (12W5D) - we learned we're having a BOY!!
5/31/12 Yep, he's still a boy. ; P
DS born 9/25/12

Mrs_Lurker
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:53 pm

+1 medela, they sent ne free extra tubing overnight, and they were super nice on the phone to me too
Di Di Ci Ci

jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bistin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Well that's a relief! About two days ago my pump just stopped working, it would do the expression phase and when it would go to the normal phase it would continue to do the expression phase and then suddenly turn off.
I took it out of the bag completely and it started working again.. ???

I turned higher than the lowest setting that time, so I'm thinking it just can't do anything higher than the lowest setting. I will call medela before it stops working completely, hopefully they will know what to do.

bistin
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Mrs_Lurker » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Did you buy it new within the past year? Do you know where your receipt is? If both of those things are true, I'm fairly sure they'll replace the motor for you. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have your receipt, though.

Call Medela ASAP! KUP as to what happens.
Lily
DD born 3/30/07
M/C 6/29/11 (4wks)
Beta @ 13 dpo - 172
DS born 9/25/12

Mrs_Lurker
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mrs_Lurker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:38 pm

:bump:

What happened with your pump?
Lily
DD born 3/30/07
M/C 6/29/11 (4wks)
Beta @ 13 dpo - 172
DS born 9/25/12

Mrs_Lurker
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Breastfeeding