how to survive THRUSH

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

how to survive THRUSH

Postby ~*~Amanda~*~ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Sterilize EVERYTHING you possibly can 24 hours after treatment has started
boil bottles, bottle nipples, pacifiers, breast pump parts, teethers, sanitize anything your nipples or the baby's mouth has come in contact with. (I'd recommend doing this a few times just to make sure you kill the stuff! lol)

Treat baby and call your Ob/gyn or doctor for treatment for yourself (nystatin cream, diflucan, etc)

allow nipples to air dry after feedings, use breast pads to prevent bra/clothes from getting stained from nystatin cream/ointment

if nystatin does not work for you or for baby, go back to the doctor for something else, diflucan is more aggressive for tough cases.

please add anything else! its been a while since I've dealt with thrush!
~*~Amanda~*~
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bdipaolo86 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I think DD3 has Thrush. She has some white spots in her mouth and now it burnsssss bad when she eats. My nipples are also pretty itchy. Going to see my doctor tomorrow and scheduling her an appointment tomorrow. Does this cause babies pain?
Me(Britt)-24
DH(Drew)-28
DD1(Kailey)- 4/13/05
DD2(Ava)- 9/25/07
DD3(Maycie)- 3/11/11

ImageImage
bdipaolo86
Angel
Angel

Postby Tessa033 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 pm

We didnt use any creams, we used Gentian Violet (get it at the pharmacy counter) used it for 3 nights and its gone. Totally. And her whole mouth was white and my nips were killer. I second the boiling everything religiously for the whole treatment.

And to answer if it causes baby pain: Not sure. Cant really ask them lol. But it never seemed to affect them nursing and they didnt seem to complain from it (last 2 kiddos have had it). It just looks icky and hurts the nips pretty bad.

Side note on the gentian violet: it stains BAD! So if you decide to go that route, make sure baby and you wear things you dont mind getting turned purple and lay baby to sleep on a blankie or towel you dont mind ruining. Well, not ruined but stained violet.
Me (Kelly): 28 DH (Josh): 27
Ashtyn: 05/31/03 Cameron: 08/30/07 Corinne: 12/20/08 @36wks (Self weaned at 19.5 months!)
Kaylen Lily: 11-11-10 @34wks (6lbs 19.5in!)
Mother, Wife, Nursing Student, and Milk Donor- 3000+ oz and counting!
Tessa033
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~*~Amanda~*~ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 pm

bdipaolo86 wrote:I think DD3 has Thrush. She has some white spots in her mouth and now it burnsssss bad when she eats. My nipples are also pretty itchy. Going to see my doctor tomorrow and scheduling her an appointment tomorrow. Does this cause babies pain?

I've had thrush in my mouth, after taking antibiotics, and yes, its painful. its more of a swollen kind of pain. i remember giving ibuprofen to him and lots of cold fluids. thanks everyone for adding! we will have to ask the mods to make this an announcement.
Image still happily RF at 25 lbs, 35 inches and almost 2 years old!

DS & DSD (9)

click WWW to add me on facebook! just be sure to tell me who you are :-)
~*~Amanda~*~
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Carrie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:04 am

We used Gentian Violet and YES it does stain but who cares when you are dealing with Thrush!

It works awesome!!!!
Carrie 36
Tubal 1996
Reversal 2008

http://www.succeedwith124.info

ImageImage
Carrie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyofgirls » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 am

If you nurse laying down. Wash the sheets on your bed every night. Also change baby's sheeting as well daily. This helped me FINALLY get rid of it. Thrush is awful! I hope to never deal with it with this new LO when she arrives.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsLewis907 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Can you get the Genetian Violet at WM?? I looked for it in the vitamin section, but didn't find it...and didn't know what I was looking for (type of package) or anywhere else I could look! How do you use it...like, do you put it in their mouth to ingest it, or on their rash, or your nipples...etc...I have no idea!! Never dealt with thrush before...DD has had a yeast rash for 2.5 weeks, and I was told I can use this to treat us all, and been told to do all these things for it (is it the same thing???). She has no white spots in her mouth, I do have sore nipples, and she has a rash...dr gave us nyastatin cream, and I used the whole thing and it didn't do anything, he gave me a refill and said if it's not better to come back, but got some other recommendations, so I had put a few drops of TTO in a water bottle and been spraying that, and it was almost all gone in 2 days, and now she just has slight redness, mostly in the creases of her legs...but if I don't use it, it comes back worse (but also haven't been doing anything else...didn't know to).
Ashli 32, DH Patrick 33
Twins - DD1 Hannah & DS1 Evann - 7, DD2 Lily - 5, DD3 Abigail - 5
BFP - Mar 20, 2015 / Miscarried - March 26, 2015
Baby #5 - Shelby Nicole, born April 13, 2016, 6lb5oz, 19in
MrsLewis907
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby krysydawn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Carrie wrote:We used Gentian Violet and YES it does stain but who cares when you are dealing with Thrush!

It works awesome!!!!

LMAO Exactly!! I used the G.V. back in 05 with my son.. AMAZING!!
krysydawn
Star Member
Star Member

Re: how to survive THRUSH

Postby Wrylilt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 am

I had undiagnosed thrush for about 6 weeks with DD1. I nearly quit breastfeeding because both doctors and health nurses told me it was a latch or "coming off roughly" problem and prescribed nipple cream (which actually makes it worse!)

I self diagnosed finally, went and got some Nilstat from the chemist and we were fine within 48 hours. However I'm in Aus, so Nilstat may be similar to some of the above recommendations, depending where you live.
Advocate of Delayed Cord Clamping.
About to begin Doula & LC course.
Pregnancy Writer and Blogger.
Mummy of two, husband of one.
You may find my articles on 40+ ways to induce labour,
25 signs labour is about to begin, and
how to have a shorter labour relevant.
Wrylilt

Re: how to survive THRUSH

Postby larchelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Just wanted to also recommend genetian violet - My twins & I have had a lot of trouble with thrush,were in nystatin for full 2 weeks, barely helped, then were put on diflucan for 2 weeks, went away, then came back. Both of those really upset their stomachs and gave a lot of gas, soooo miserable for the whole family. Tried genetian violet, was gone in 3 days! And no upset tummies or more gas!! Came back after like a month, used genetian violet again, again was gone in 3 days. (We' e also always done super sterilizing every day regularly too, not just when they had thrush). My advice is, don't mess around with nystatin or diflucan, just use genetian violet, it seriously works! Also, don't forget to wash your bibs and burp cloths in hot water with vinegar and or bleach, as well as anything else they put their mouths on.
Preggo w/#1 & #2!! via IVF

larchelle

Return to Breastfeeding