Advice on biting

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Advice on biting

Postby LaraE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:56 pm

My 6 month old has taken to clamping down with her hard gums onto my nipple and then she turns her head. This hurts so bad! She doesn't have teeth yet but the pain is tremendous. Today it hurt so bad when she did it, I broke down in tears. Any idea why she's doing this? Is she trying to get milk out? Maybe the breast is empty? Is this just a phase?

I don't know how I'll be able to keep BF under these conditions
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HoneyBees7 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Just sternly tell her No, then put her on the floor, play yard whatever, and walk away. She will catch the drift quickly. Go right back to her (she will be crying) and hold her and reiterate that she hurt you (even if she doesn't understand fully). Then nurse her again. Happens every kid, She is either bored, distracted, teething, who knows. It will stop as long as you are consistent. GL!
Open minded, Freethinking, researching nut case.
HoneyBees7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 am

DS did this also. He actually had teeth at 5 months though, and he ripped a pretty good hole in my nipple and believe me when I say it was excruciating. I could not imagine proceeding with nursing if the biting didn't stop, so I took somewhat rash measures. I tried the "No" and pull him off the breast for a minute, but he just laughed at that, seriously. So the next time he did it, I said "No bite mommy" and flicked him on the cheek with my free hand. I think I did that twice, or maybe only once, and he cried and then never bit me again. We're still nursing, and he's never once intentionally bit me since that time!

I also made sure at that point, that I was only nursing when he was hungry. I think around 6 months old, I switched to an every 2 1/2 - 3 hour schedule, where before that I had been nursing more often. I also made sure to nurse him in an undistracted setting, which helped.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for the feedback ladies.

Yep, when i hurriedly unlatch her and say "ouch! no bite!" she mostly looks at me and smiles. She doesnt really understand but she knows she gets a reaction and to her its amusing I guess. Sometimes she'll just stare at me.

I have been thinking about it and I think she might be doing it either because she is done nursing for the time being, or that there is no milk left in that breast. So, what I am going to do is switch her to the other breast and see if she's really done or not.

I only ever nurse her in her room, with door shut and lights off. I havent been able to nurse her with other people around for a few months now because she gets so distracted.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alexswife » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 am

My s would do that when he started to cut teeth. Ouch! I would tell him no andput him down for a moment. I also had to pay close attention to him. If he moved his tongue out of position I would unlatch him before he bit.
Me- 30
DH-30
DS1- 6
DS2- 4
DS3- 2
alexswife
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am

Yes! I can tell when she is going to do it too! So, I'm paying more attention as well. I have typically only ever fed her on one side at a time but now that she's bigger, I'm wondering if she needs more than one side to be satisfied so now when I notice her doing this, I am putting her to the other breast and she will usually nurse for a few more minutes on the 2nd side. So, I'm hoping that's it.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Since DD started cutting teeth at 9 months she's gone through periods of biting me, often hard enough to draw blood, and sometimes will stay clamped down *yelps*. Calmly saying NO (as calmly as you can manage with a little piranha on your nipple) and unlatching her (drawing her into the breast if she won't let go of her own accord can help even though it's counterintuitive) works sometimes, as does only feeding her when and for as long as she is in the mood and paying close attention to when the tongue slips back and she gets 'that look' in her eye... GL!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Having just seen your LO's age has reminded me that DD used to do this
clamping down with her hard gums onto my nipple and then she turns her head

a lot in the early months and I eventually worked out that it was her way of coping with my overactive letdown and 'stemming the flow'. It gradually stopped as my letdown got a bit less forceful at 6-7 months. It doesn't sound like that's what's going on with you, but just thought I'd put it out there anyway...
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MominMD » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am

Griffin does this as it gets to the end of the nursing session. Sometimes it means he is no longer hungry, and sometimes it means that breast is empty. Luckily he does not have his top teeth yet, or it would be even more painful.

If he bites and holds I pull him into myself so his face is buried in my breast. He can't breath and lets go. Sounds mean, but it is only a couple seconds. If he turns away and pulls it is harder, and it hurts A LOT.

If he does it more than once I know he is done and is playing and I put him down.
MominMD
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 pm

DD goes through biting phases when she is teething. it happened at 6,9 and now at 11months. If I say no she cries pretty hard. Now it really cute, she will start to bite, look at me and shake her head. She is so stinking cute.

It will stop, it is a phase, but SOOOOOO annoying
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding