Medela Pump In Style Advanced - Tote or Metro bag

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Medela Pump In Style Advanced - Tote or Metro bag

Postby freckle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

Does anyone have recommendations one way or the other? The metro bag has the actual pump that can be removed from the bag where the tote will not allow the pump to be removed. Does this matter? I'll be going back to work after maternity leave and need to buy a pump but I can't decide. Thanks!!!!
freckle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby KimmyH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 am

I have the PISA in the backpack. I never felt the urge to take it out. It seems like Medela makes the carrying bags just the right size for the little cooler, a couple horns and a few other things you might need. I would probably buy which ever I could find on sale :D
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maamaa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

Hi there. My recommendation would be to get the Metro so you can remove the pump. A little background info:

I have a PIS advanced backpack that I used with both of my boys (I work full time, and pumped for both for over a year, so LOTS of use).

Within about 6 months of heavy use with my first son, The bag started to fall apart. I called Medela, and they sent me a replacement pump, no questions asked. I only wanted a new bag, not a motor, but they said that wasn't possible.

Then, when I was pumping for my 2nd son, that backpack started to fall apart as well. Tearing at the seams, and the zippers breaking.

I tried to have the 2nd pump replaced, but it was obviously way after the one year warranty, so that didn't work. And Medela will not sell you just a bag, you have to buy a whole new pump. I ended up having to carry my backpack inside a larger backpack.

So, long story short, if you have the Metro and can remove the pump part, it should be a lot easier to use a different (other than Medela) bag if you need to.

P.S. Let me stress that I LOVED my PIS on the basis of function! I had no issues what-so-ever with the motor itself. In fact, I used it a ton, and I still think that the power was the same as the day I purchased it. If only their bags were of higher quality!
Me-30 l DH-30 l DS1-2008 l DS2-2010
Baby 3 - due 7/11/14
8w5d - HB 180

maamaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

maamaa wrote:Hi there. My recommendation would be to get the Metro so you can remove the pump. A little background info:

I have a PIS advanced backpack that I used with both of my boys (I work full time, and pumped for both for over a year, so LOTS of use).

Within about 6 months of heavy use with my first son, The bag started to fall apart. I called Medela, and they sent me a replacement pump, no questions asked. I only wanted a new bag, not a motor, but they said that wasn't possible.

Then, when I was pumping for my 2nd son, that backpack started to fall apart as well. Tearing at the seams, and the zippers breaking.

I tried to have the 2nd pump replaced, but it was obviously way after the one year warranty, so that didn't work. And Medela will not sell you just a bag, you have to buy a whole new pump. I ended up having to carry my backpack inside a larger backpack.

So, long story short, if you have the Metro and can remove the pump part, it should be a lot easier to use a different (other than Medela) bag if you need to.

P.S. Let me stress that I LOVED my PIS on the basis of function! I had no issues what-so-ever with the motor itself. In fact, I used it a ton, and I still think that the power was the same as the day I purchased it. If only their bags were of higher quality!

Wow! That is a really good point! I carried mine to work 5 days a week for 10 months and the backpack still is like new. I guess it depends on how you are going to use it.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maamaa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

KimmyH wrote:
maamaa wrote:Hi there. My recommendation would be to get the Metro so you can remove the pump. A little background info:

Wow! That is a really good point! I carried mine to work 5 days a week for 10 months and the backpack still is like new. I guess it depends on how you are going to use it.

Yeah, I'm not sure why both of mine fell apart. I really wasn't hard on them, just used them a lot. I would have purchased the 1st one in 2008 and the received the replacement one in 2009. Maybe they have improved the manufacturing process?
Me-30 l DH-30 l DS1-2008 l DS2-2010
Baby 3 - due 7/11/14
8w5d - HB 180

maamaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby QueenC » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I have the PISA in the backpack and I love it. I am pumping exclusively so it gets tons of use, like 8-9 times a day. I take it everywhere and have even pumped in the car a few times, its very convenient.
me 28, dh 35
(DS1) born 1/13/09 - 7lbs 12 oz, 20.5 inches
(DS2) born 2/17/12 - 8lbz 1oz, 19.25 inches

ImageImage
QueenC
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby freckle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks ladies! I went ahead and registered for the metro bag just in case the bag falls apart. :)
freckle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Breastfeeding