I don't like it this time! Help, please...

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

I don't like it this time! Help, please...

Postby crysann4 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm

There. I said it. It's not the act that I don't like. *sigh* It's the results that I see EVERY time I breastfeed him! It has been a week since I cut dairy out completely. I had limited dairy before that for about a week. Asher is FINE on the formula - happy, not fussy, no belly aches, poops at least once a day. I only bf'd him at night for a few nights and he was like a completely different baby. Not nearly as much crying, no belly aches, he slept well during the day, he didn't spit up very often. The last few days I have been bfing him more during the day, and so far that's all he's had today. He cries again whenever he is awake. He spits up or throws up my milk. He does a little with the formula, too, but not as often. Asher spits up with practically every feeding. I'm at my wit's end with this... I just want a happy baby. :( Every time I breastfeed him through the day he cries and cries and cries. It breaks my heart.

I breastfed my other four children as well, and I have never experienced anything like this. My ds2 even had a dairy sensitivity at first so I cut all dairy out and his got better. I see no difference now, a week after cutting out dairy, than when I ate all the dairy I wanted. I also have cut out spicy foods and citrus. I just don't get it. I feel so awful because (with the exception of night time, he is still a good sleeper and when I give him formula during the day I pump and save it and I nurse him at bedtime, through the night, and early am... That worked for the few days I tried it)... he's just so miserable. And in pain.

I've tried gas drops and they do nothing for him.

He has his 1 month checkup on Friday and I intend to talk to his doctor about this, plus we have an appointment with an LC on 4/2 ....

Please, does anyone have any experience with this? I want to love bfing and I just don't. At all. I want him to be healthy and happy.
Crystal (34) :love: Eric (30)
:babyb: Brennen (14) 02/07/02
:babyb: Jorran (12) 08/04/04
:babyg: Carys (10) 02/13/06
:babyb: Everett (8) 04/23/08
:babyb: Asher Jakob (4) 02/22/12
crysann4
Addicted
Addicted

Postby KimmyH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I can sense your frustration Momma :hugs: It sure sounds like he is having some type of dietary intolerance. I know it can take several weeks after you eliminate the food for it to get out of your system and his. It may be the milk, but it could also be other things. I would try a strict elimination diet for a couple of weeks before losing hope. I can only imagine how hard it is to see your LO suffer and know that something in your milk is causing it :( If you feel the need to use formula while you are trying to clear your body of potential culprit foods, make sure you pump a lot to keep up your supply! Good luck!

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feedin ... ation-diet
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 pm

My son fussed whenever I had dairy, coffee or chocolate :( it's so frustrating when they are in pain! Good luck solving this mystery!
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:57 am

It definitely sounds like an intolerance. If you don't see improvement in another week, perhaps it's gluten or something other than dairy?
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding