Any EP-ers?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Any EP-ers?

Postby dee12h » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:57 pm

DS nursed so great from birth, but for some reason he just does not want to do it anymore. He's so fussy on the breast. I think he's mad that let down takes awhile. He's already 3 months old & mostly BF before now, so I don't think it's nipple confusion, although maybe he's just getting lazy & preferring the bottle (always had one bottle per day but a little more recently as he's gotten more fussy at the breast.) Since it's been this way for awhile I'm considering EP-ing.

It's just getting way too frustrating. He ruins my letdown, pulls off, and then I have to wait awhile to pump, so sometimes I have to give him formula if I didn't have a pumped bottle waiting for him.

It's more important that he get BM as long as he can than that I BF as long as I can, if that makes sense. Will going to EP now increase my chances that my breasts will respond better to the pump long term, or does that not matter? I will still try to BF at night when he's sleepy bc he does better then.

Did anyone else go to EP around this age??

With DS1, I went to EP, except at night, at 7.5 months, and my supply slowly dried up to where he was on mostly formula by 12 months. I'd like to make it longer this time if I can. Will going EP now help or hinder that? Hope this makes sense! lol
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I can't imagine EPing, it sounds really frustrating and time-consuming. :( Have you tried Kellymom's tips on getting a baby to nurse again? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ Might be something in there that will help.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:00 am

I think I would try to press through with nursing also, if you want to make it to a year or more. EP-ing tends to slowly dry your body up from what I've heard. I didn't EP though, only nursed, and DS just weaned last week at 16 mos.

I went through several fussy-at-the breast phases, and the first one was around the age your LO is. We just tried nursing in undistracted places and in the dark, side lying on the bed, and that helped a lot. Also, late ron, when he was impatient for milk, I triggered my let down first before putting him on, and that was a huge help for him. Just some suggestions!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby QueenC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:58 pm

I am EPing and its very hard. It is double the work since I am bottle feeding, I need all the supplies and have to clean them etc, and I still get all of the problems a breastfeeding mom gets such as clogged ducts, sore nipples etc. It was a big commitment that I chose to make since I know my milk is best for my baby, I do not take it lightly and I take it one day at a time. It can be overwhelming since at this point I am pumping every 2-3 hours. I take my pump everywhere and even pump in the car. My short term goal is 6 months, and my goal is to make it to one year. It is also a $$ investment since you will need a good double electric pump, bottles and all the other supplies.

I honestly would love it if DS would at least BF at night, but he will not latch due to nipple confusion. (We introduced formula at the hospital until my milk came in, which I regret now since he was such a good natural nurser :( )

If it is something you are willing to commit to, I would recommend this group, the women here are amazing and supportive, and many of them have made it to a year of more EPing. They also have lots of good tips.
http://community.babycenter.com/groups/ ... ve_pumpers
Good luck!
me 28, dh 35
(DS1) born 1/13/09 - 7lbs 12 oz, 20.5 inches
(DS2) born 2/17/12 - 8lbz 1oz, 19.25 inches

ImageImage
QueenC
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding