Raynaud's phenomenon

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Raynaud's phenomenon

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been having terrible pain in my nipples after pumping (started EPing after having thrush at 3 weeks). Within about 5-10 minutes of finishing, they blanch which is when the pain starts. Then they turn blue/purple before finally looking normal again. Once they're pink again, the pain goes away. It's a horrible throbbing though that feels like my nips are being crushed and occasionally shoots into my breasts. It also has been happening when I get cold now. Warm compresses help, but aren't practical when I'm at work or class.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this from happening? The lactation consultant ive been working with said she thinks there is something but couldn't remember what works. I see my OB for my 6 week check onApril 5th, but I'm desperate for some relief.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 am

are you sure its not still thrush?
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:17 am

Yes, I met with the lactation consultant and she was fairly certain that it's not thrush because I don't have pain at all while I'm pumping. Also, the way that my nipples turn white, then blue, and finally red and the attacks that I've been having in response to cold is very consistent with Raynaud's. I really hope that I can figure something out when I meet with my OB on Thursday because it hurts so bad that I've been tempted to give up on breastfeeding and pumping all together if this continues :(
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

HawkeyeGirl18 wrote:Yes, I met with the lactation consultant and she was fairly certain that it's not thrush because I don't have pain at all while I'm pumping. Also, the way that my nipples turn white, then blue, and finally red and the attacks that I've been having in response to cold is very consistent with Raynaud's. I really hope that I can figure something out when I meet with my OB on Thursday because it hurts so bad that I've been tempted to give up on breastfeeding and pumping all together if this continues :(
Im so sorry you're having so much pain. I hope they can figure something out for you!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks! I'm finally getting a bit of relief. I started taking nifedipine 10mg three times a day and have already noticed that I'm not getting the painful episodes as frequently. The couple that I have had don't last as long and are over within a couple minutes instead of 10-20 minutes. It's so much better now! :D

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding