Pumping to go back to work :(

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Pumping to go back to work :(

Postby jessm » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 pm

So I am trying to build up a freezer stash for going back to work. I usually pump about 30 minutes after he finishes eating once a day and once in the middle of the night. In the MOTN I get 4 ounces and 1 during the day. I am nervous that I won't pump enough at work to send to daycare. Any advice? Did anyone have trouble pumping enough milk during the day?
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby LaraE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:29 am

I noticed when I started pumping on a regular schedule during the work day (I pump at 10:30 and 1:30) that I started responding to the pump much better. How old is your LO? I was able to pump plenty for my LO for while she's at daycare until her needs increased and I was still pumping the same amount (11-14ozs for those 2 pump sessions). She is now taking upwards of 15-18ozs now while Im at work so I'm not pumping enough for her now. She's 6 months old. We're just adding a little formula to the mix while I'm at work and I still nurse and pump etc like normal otherwise. No big deal.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:33 am

They say the norm for pumping is to expect 1 oz for every hour since you last fed/pumped. Keep that in mind. So, if you pump every 3 or so hours, you should be getting 3oz give or take. I get a lot more in my morning pump session - anywhere from 8-10oz. I get about 1/2 that much in my afternoon pump. So. you won't get the same amount depending on time of day.

I notice I do better when I drink a liter of water 30 mins prior to pumping to make sure Im plenty hydrated. They say to look at pics or videos of your LO while pumping too and to do your best to stay relaxed as possible. I do deep breathing sometimes too while pumping to ensure I'm relaxed.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:35 am

Also, I get about 2 or more let downs during the 20 mins that i'm pumping. My pump has a feature that can mimic stimulation that will bring about a let down. What kind of pump do you have>
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 am

I have the Ameda purely yours. At my MOTN pump I get over 3 oz easy from the left. And struggle to even get an ounce from my right. But I can still hand express more from both sides. I have tried every flange size, the flexishields, massage, compressions and heat packs.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby carmel-sangria » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm

I started out like this when i was trying to build up my stash for work. I was barely getting 3-4 oz per pumping session and I think this was maybe because my pumping schedule was irregular. And like you, I would get about 2.5 to 3 oz from the left and barely 1 oz from the right. I was very frustrated and thought that I wouldn't have nearly enough milk for him.

Since returning to work I try to stick to a pumping schedule. I pump at 10:30 and 2:00 (most days). Like LaraE, I drink a ton of water before i pump. I also did power pumping sessions for about 3 weekends (one session per day) when I first returned to work . I read about it on here, tried it and I swear that it works like a dream. In fact, in the few days following each power pumping weekend I found myself getting ENGORGED in the middle of the night and would have to get up and pump. One night I actually pumped 15oz in ONE SESSION. Crazy!8O

Now I usually get about 6-8 oz per session, and this is on a manual pump. I still get the majority from the left, maybe like 4 oz from the left and 2-3 from the right.

So just stick with it, as your baby's demands increase so will your supply. Also give power pumping a try, there's a post on here with the details of it. The supply may not increase immediately but in the days following you will see a difference.

ETA: power pumping details under the How to increase your supply announcement.
Me:27
DH: 34
DD: 6
DS: 5 months

ImageImage

carmel-sangria
Angel
Angel

Postby jessm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 am

Thank you! I did call ameda bc I am also having suction issues. They are sending me new adaptor caps. I plan on doing a power pumping day the weekend before I go back to work. My LC told me a different way to do it. She said to pump for 5 minutes every hour for a day. So I plan on doing that :)
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding