My supply seems to be going down

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

My supply seems to be going down

Postby teachingmom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 am

I may be jumping the gun here but I feel like I can't make enough for him while I'm at work ( I may just be to stressed out about it ) I only have 6 more weeks after this week then I'm out for summer break so I really don't want to lose my supple. I'm on my third day back. So far he's eating between 12-18 oz while I'm at work.
I had been pumping some before to build up a stash and I will continue to do this on the weekends when I am EBFing. I have about 60oz in the freezer. I pumped after every morning feeding and usually 2-3 other times after feeding during the day.
I am a teacher so this week at work we are off schedule due to benchmark testing and it's messing me up on my pump times. My prep time is normally at 2:00 this week it's at 9:55 and lunch is at 11:20. This is how my day looks.
I nurse Will sometime between 3:30-4:30 then I go back to bed
I pump while I do my make up at 6:30 - I get about 6-8 oz combined.
I pump at 10:00 I get about 6 oz combined.
I pump at lunch 11:30 I get about 1-2 combined maybe.
Then I don't have another break I get home about 3:45 and try to feed him quickly b/c I'm full then I just nurse for the rest of the night.
Next week Ill be back on schedule I'll pump at 6:30, 11:30 and 2:00 then home by 3:45. I think I'm more just worried I'm going to mess up my supply. I feel like I should be getting 6-8 oz when I pump which I know isn't reasonable he doesn't eat that much they are only making what he eats. But I feel like they make more when he's actually nursing than what I'm getting with the pump.
Questions
Should I continue trying to pump after my afternoon/evening feedings?
Will my body get used to pumping and begin to make what he needs?
Lesley 36 Patrick 31
DS 16 DS 111
5 fur babies 3 dogs and 2 cats
William Patrick is Due January 24th
teachingmom
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HoneyBees7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 am

First off, your breasts are most definitely making more milk when you are EBF because your baby can empty your breasts moe efficiently than a pump. Try not to worry about that.

Secondly, but really most importantly, be sure to drink tons of water during the morning.

Third, the hour and a half between pumping (10 to 1130) is probably not enough time for your breast to make much milk, especially if you do not eat in that 90 mins or if you don't drink a lot of water.

I doubt that changing the times you pump will adversely effect the amount you get next week, I would bet that ou will have more, not less, milk pumped next week, due to the longer intervals between pumping and less stress. Be sure to drink lots of water when you are pumping, along with between pumping and get the extra 300-500 calories needed for your body to efficiently produce milk.
Open minded, Freethinking, researching nut case.
HoneyBees7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding