preg.#2 & want to wean 38mth old

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

preg.#2 & want to wean 38mth old

Postby oktober84 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 am

Please if anyone can help I would love you forever!!!!

I am pregnant with baby #2 and although I loved my BF relationship with my daughter (who is now 3 years old) I would like to start the weaning process. She still feeds at night and early mornings but I would like to eliminate one feeding in the least. We have come really far and I loved every minute of it but I think it's time to push her in the right direction and find other ways for comfort. Does anyone have any idea's? Oh yah I should mention that when I try to tell her that "mommy is busy right now and can't BF" she throws temper tantrums and screams her head off and throws things around.
ME-33 DD-7 DS-3 DD-1

March 19 2009 Haley Gianna Mikaela was born 5lbs 15oz. (39+3 WEEKS)
April 11 2013-Lucas Brian Alexander 6lbs 6oz (36+4 WEEKS)
May 07 2015- Tenley Grace Daenarys 6 lbs 4oz (37 WEEKS)
Baby #4 due September 07 2017
oktober84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:00 pm

I think tantrums might be unavoidable at first. Stick to your guns, give lots of cuddles and tell her you love her. That's what I did with my son at 14 months. He was upset the first time it happened, but quickly got the message after the second night. Its tough, I dread weaning my daughter who is 20 months and still nursing all the time. In her case, I've continued nursing through her cancer treatments and will probably continue for a few more months.
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RachelJ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I was still tandem nursing my 40 month old and 16 month old when I got pregnant with baby number three in January. My daughter was down to nursing once a a day, but between her and my son nursing, I was feeling overwhelmed. I had tried everything to get my daughter to wean and in fact, she was only able to have her morning nursing time if she stayed dry overnight. This probably meant she was nursing only 4-5 times a week.

She had been telling me for a while that she really really wanted a baby sister. Once I knew I was pregnant, I didn't tell her right away and said, if you stop nursing, momma may be able to have a baby in her tummy soon. She got very excited and seemed to accept that answer and hasn't nursed since.

If I have any regrets, it's that I never really savored that last nursing session with her because I didn't know it was going to be the end. My son is still going strong and will probably nurse through the entire pregnancy like my daughter did.

Good luck with the process! I hope you find something that works for you both, and soon!
RachelJ

Return to Breastfeeding