new to this

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

new to this

Postby wfmb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 am

I'm new and looking for a bit of advice. My Lo is 6 days old. She constantly eats and falls asleep at breast. She's a snacker. And after every diaper change she wants to eat.... For the past 3 nights she will stay latched for about 45 mins with suckling. Could she seriously be getting that much from that breast...How ling should she be on each breast. And what's the letdown I jeep reading about.
wfmb
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby LaraE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 am

she's brand new and establishing your milk supply. she will nurse constantly and that't totally normal. its called cluster feeding.

you can try to keep her awake at the breast by stripping her down, wiping her leg with a wet wipe, rubbing her cheek, etc.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 am

Early on, everything takes a loooong time and is very non-scheduled! That's what I learned with my now 17 month old. Just taken it as it goes, let her nurse often and as long as she can, unless she's asleep. I used to nurse my newborn to sleep and then carefully slip my nipple out of his mouth and lay him down and sneak out of the room, LOL! If she falls asleep too soon, you can try trying to wake her up to finish up a nursing session. It's just so hard these first few weeks. She'll get more alert as she grows.

I would say, at this point, like LaraE said, your milk supply is being established and she's going through multiple growth spurts the first few weeks, which means she needs more milk. It helped me when I learned that my milk was increased by frequent nursing!

Oh, and early on, I didn't get a pronounced let down. I just sort of had multiple letdowns through out. Later on, I definitely had a very definitive letdown early on, and I could feel it very distinctly.

Best wishes on your early nursing!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I agree with the other girls--she is establishing your supply right now. The first several weeks feel like all you do is nurse, nurse, nurse but it gets better!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding