Weaning a toddler?? I need help!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Weaning a toddler?? I need help!

Postby thirdtimesacharm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:41 am

I have a daughter who turned 20 months old today. I am still nursing her and she's still in my bed. I have breast fed two other kids just past their first birthday so I feel like I'm an experienced nursing mom but I have never seen a baby so attached to nursing. It's obviously about comfort; she eats anything and everything now, but I can't figure out how to wean her. With her in my bed, she basically nurses on and off all night long. In trying to figure out how to wean her my thoughts are if she's half asleep and laying right next to me I think it will be near impossible for her to sleep without it. Which leads me to believe maybe I should move her to her own bed. However, I can't figure out which to work on first or do I do it at the same time?? Do you just cut it off cold turkey?? They almost feels mean to me! I feel like she'd be traumatized! I've had people suggest going on vacation and leaving for a few days, but I've never left her! I just want to make this as easy as possible on her. I've weaned two babies but there is a HUGE difference between weening a baby and weaning a toddler and I'm having trouble finding any resources!

Can you help or recommend anything? A website? a book? anything?? I'm really struggling!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

thirdtimesacharm
Angel
Angel

Postby RachelJ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm

I don't know that I have advice, but just wanted to say that you are not alone. I am currently nursing my 19 month old and he is showing absolutely no signs of letting up. I try to distract him sometimes during the day if he asks, which sometimes works, but he doesn't seem to be getting any less fond of nursing.
I hope you figure out something that will work for both of you. Some babies just need their momma longer, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As my mom, of six kids, says, no one nurses when going off to college! I take comfort in that thought.
RachelJ

Postby Bubble1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I think you are right that all the time she is sleeping next to you it will be easy for her to sleepily reach out and nurse. My ds slept more soundly.o.ce he was jn his own bed. I'd go with own bed first but no more musing in your bed. Then when that's established reduce the nursing but not the cuddled at night. Just take each change slowly and she should cope ok.
ImageImage

Bubble1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding