PG and Breastfeeding

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

PG and Breastfeeding

Postby Lovestheanswr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:44 am

Hi! I am currently nursing my 9.5 month old and I just got a :bfp: yesterday. My OB said nursing shouldn't cause any problems with the pregnancy, just be sure to eat enough. I know there are some of you that have gone through this, and I know everyone is different, but I was hoping some of you could share your stories so I know a little what to expect. Thanks so much!!!!
8/2008 :angel: Ectopic
7/7/11 Happy Birthday Ronan Alistar!
10/2011 :angel: Chemical
5/17/12 :angel: Blighted Ovum
6/15/12 :bfp: not even a month after miscarriage!!!
U/S 7/6- One baby with a strong :hb:
U/S 7/19- 8w1d :hb: 179
Lovestheanswr
Addicted
Addicted

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I got pregnant with my DD while still nursing my DS when he was about 13 or 14 months, and I nursed him until he was 20 months old with no problems. I am also pregnant and nursing my daughter right now. You may experience a dip in supply at some point, but luckily your daughter is getting old enough that she may be eating full meals of solid food by the time your supply drops (if it does).

Just make sure you are taking care of yourself since you are nourishing 2 babies. :)
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Congratulations!!

Postby HoneyBees7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 pm

I have nursed and been pregnant practically every time (this is the seventh baby). I tandem nursed once.

I had to stop nursing one child when I became anemic and for some reason my body just could not do it. My hair fell out, my nails got brittle, I was exhausted constantly... even though I took extra vitamins and ate very well. The doctor was concerned for my health- the fetus gets what he/she needs, the mom can suffer though. Be sure to get bloodwork done to make sure your minerals are up to par. I was 9 months PP when I got that BFP- the closest two children I have- so I think that played a role (all of the other children are at least 2 years apart- I was at least a year PP when I got my BFP). Just keep an eye on it- be sure to drink TONS of water, and eat super healthy and get a good 3-500 extra calories from healthy foods a day.

I never had another issue BF while PG. I was weary of doing it the next time I got PG, but there were no ill effects and I ended up tandem nursing after him (for a very short while- my toddler lost interest very quickly with colostrum and competition, he preferred to drink from a cup).

This pregnancy I nursed my daughter until she self weaned (I started out hoping she would go through the PG and tandem, but she had different ideas) when she did stop (at 17ish months- January this year) I felt relief. (And then I bought perty NEW fancy bras to wear for my pregnancy!!!).

Don't feel pressure to do it if you start feeling uncomfortable, trust your body and your baby. Good luck!
Open minded, Freethinking, researching nut case.
HoneyBees7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lovestheanswr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks ladies! I am feeling pretty good about things. My goal is a year, so hopefully I can make it that far. Luckily I do have a good amount if frozen milk. Thanks again or sharing your stories with me!
8/2008 :angel: Ectopic
7/7/11 Happy Birthday Ronan Alistar!
10/2011 :angel: Chemical
5/17/12 :angel: Blighted Ovum
6/15/12 :bfp: not even a month after miscarriage!!!
U/S 7/6- One baby with a strong :hb:
U/S 7/19- 8w1d :hb: 179
Lovestheanswr
Addicted
Addicted

Postby fodla » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm

No advice, just a giant "EEEEEEEEEE" hahaha.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding