Late AF - Could it be weaning related?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Late AF - Could it be weaning related?

Postby rleash » Tue May 15, 2012 5:03 pm

First a little back story to better explain my question: DS is 15 months old, and we just weaned this month. He had a strong gag reflex, and so we had a hard time getting him to eat any table food or drink from a cup. He never drank from a bottle. Therefore, he exclusively drank BM until about a month and a half ago. When he started drinking cow's milk, his nursing sessions quickly dropped from 3-4/day to 1/day. And about a week ago, he stopped completely.

I got AF back when he was around 9 months old, and have been very regular since (28 days/cycle, right on the money). But this month, I'm currently 3-4 days late. I plan on taking a test after a few more days, but I'm just wondering if the weaning could be what has messed up my cycle. Has anyone heard of or experienced this? I'm not on any birth control, just followed the timing method (and waited until I had infertile CM) since I'm always so regular. But obviously that's not guaranteed.

It wouldn't be that horrible if I were preggo, but I'd have rather waited another year or more :)

I appreciate any insight!!
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Wed May 16, 2012 5:43 am

If I were you, I'd test! I got AF back at 5 months PP and after the first couple, have been pretty regular since then (still longish cycles, but pretty regular). My son weaned at 16 months and my cycles weren't altered by that at all. Though I suppose there is that possibility.

Do you temperature chart to track ovulation? That would help you know more accurately. If O was late, then your period could come late, but if O was on time as usual, then you're probably pregnant. Let us know!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HoneyBees7 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I have ebf'd six children, and ppaf between 9-14 months each time. When I weaned (once at 10 months, most at 18 to 24 months) it did not affect my cycle. The only things that ever affected my cycle after weaning was trying the birth control ring (and having a terrible reaction and a chemical pregnancy the next month) and pregnancy after weaning. :) test!!
Open minded, Freethinking, researching nut case.
HoneyBees7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding