Looking for encouragment to keep at it

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Looking for encouragment to keep at it

Postby kc12345 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 pm

So i did not BF my DD who is 2, I just never made milk, I AM EBF DS who is 2 months. I do not love breastfeeding. I feel trapped by it and tied down. He nurses ten minutes on each side and I feel like that is an eternity sitting there while DD is running around. He is only sleeping a 5 hour stretch (for his first long stretch) at night and it shortens after that one. I am so ready to switch to formula but for some reason am having guilty feelings about it and just can't make the plunge.

Can someone please help me with a 2 months "schedule" for EBF? It was so easy with DD for some reason and I just can't get it together with DS. I am feeling exhausted and discouraged. Thanks in advance!
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby thirdtimesacharm » Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 pm

I have exclusively breast fed all three of my kids. My first for 13 months, my second for 12 months and my third is going to be 2 next month and she is STILL nursing. I'm at the point where I'd like to try and wean but she's sooooo attached!

ANYWAY.......I hate for you to give up at this point because the hard part is over!! You are right there on the edge of it finally getting better!! I always tell my friends that it sucks. It's hard work! If anyone tells you different, I don't think they are being fair. I want everyone to have a realistic expectation before the baby arrives so you're not disappointed when it isn't all roses!!

You are just entering that time when it is going to be great! You get it, baby gets it, they aren't nursing near as much, etc.

Try to hold on just a bit longer. Think of all the positives:

1. No constantly washing baby bottles
2. No mixing formula
3. Boobs are always ready
4. your milk is always the right temperature
5. You can't leave and forget to pack enough milk
6. when baby wakes in the middle of the night you can ge ready to feed as quick as you can pull your shirt down instead of getting a bottle, mixing formula, getting it the right temp, etc.
7. breast fed babies don't have near as many problems with being constipated!
8. It's free
9. Burns calories!

I could go on and on. Having said all of that, you are no less of a mother if you decide it's just not right for you. Your baby will be just fine if you decide to go to formula! I was a formula baby and I made it just fine!! Don't feel guilty. Do what is right for you.

Good luck

thirdtimesacharm
Angel
Angel

Postby charlotteb » Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Girl, I have been there! I was on the verge of giving up completely, right around the same time as you. And I had the same thoughts: thought about switching to formula but just couldn't do it because I felt SO guilty about making that decision (even though I knew DH would support any decision I made).

Just try to push through! It really does get easier! I'm honestly at a point where I can say, "I love BFing my son!" Yes, it can be a little time consuming, but no more than bottles, really. And as DS grows and his personality blossoms, we have these wonderful DS/Mommy Only moments when he nurses that nobody else gets to have. It's wonderful!

Try to hang on a little longer because it really does get easier! And if you decide to supplement, don't feel guilty. I've been there - DS1 would NOT nurse, and I went through the same guilty feelings, finally realizing that I wasn't taking care of either of us.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!
Me (Charlotte): 28
DH: 33
DS1: 3
DS2: Brand new!
Image 8/2010 1/2011 Chemical 4/2011

charlotteb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Sat May 26, 2012 7:30 am

I hate breastfeeding too, but it is so much better than formula - they aren't even on the same scale. I can't justify not breastfeeding.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kc12345 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:39 pm

The problem is, I can TOTALLY justify not breastfeeding. My DD had formula and is a-ok from it.

Honestly, the only reason I am still keeping at it at this point is the calorie burning :) and the expense, sad but true! Thanks girls for your messages, nice to know there are others who feel the same way and kept at it. We'll see how long I do it. At this point, I'm giving myself weekly goals.
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby victoria_1024 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

You're at a really hard stage of BFing. It only gets easier and better once you hit around 3 months. You won't being nursing as often and it'll be a more enjoyable bonding thing. Plus he should start sleeping longer stretches soon, which will help a lot. Honestly once they get a bit older, it's soooo much easier than bottle feeding. It's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when they are this age.

But as far as other benefits, the weight loss part is great... I was eating ridiculous amounts of junk food and not gaining any weight. And the cost is the biggest benefit for me. Some people get formula for free through WIC or whatever but for those of us who would have to pay for it, it's barely even an option to formula feed.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 am

You can do it! It gets so much easier soon. And its so rewarding, when your baby is nursing and playing with your shirt and just looks SO happy. DS gets this milk drunk look where his eyes half close and roll back and his eye brows go up, and you can tell he's just SO happy.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby stefanielynn » Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am

It does get better! THe first couple of months are seriously the hardest. The cluster feeds will start to slow down now, and your son will probably start to go longer between feedings. I don't think the sleep can be blamed on breastmilk vs formula. I breastfed both my kids and my son slept HORRIBLY from birth. My daughter slept 8+ hour stretches from a couple of weeks until just shy of 6 months (I don't want to talk about her sleep now, though!). My point is that I think the sleep patterns of our babies have more to do with our individual babies than how they are fed. Around 6 months, things really start to get easier because your baby gets more and more mobile and the nursing sessions seem to get shorter and further apart. I nursed my first until he weaned at 22 months and my second is still nursing at 14 months and I can honestly say I love it. Once you get past the first few months, it is really an amazing and beautiful thing, and something that only you can share with your baby!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding