Tips to encourage smooth weaning?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Tips to encourage smooth weaning?

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Over the last month I've really begun to notice my dd not rely/want to nurse as often. Instead of nursing every 2-3 hours, she's up to 4-6 hours day and at night once. It's a slow fade which is what I want though it still makes me sad that I can see our nursing time coming to an end...

My question- she's always, always nursed to sleep. How do I help that transition?

Our current bedtime routine is play in her bedroom quietly, put on pjs and nighttime diaper, walk to our bedroom to lay in bed and nurse to sleep. Since we've moved the rocking chair into our bedroom she's been wanting to rock and nurse so maybe rocking to sleep will replace nursing to sleep?

I'm not forcing weaning in any way. When she wants to nurse, I oblige. :-) Just want to do what I can to help make the transition easier for her and myself.

TIA! :-)
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 27jillfinallypreggo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm

With DD I went to morning and night nursing and then when I got pregnant I wasn't sure how to wean her but one day I just had dh put her to bed and didn't nurse. AFter that we were just done. She didn't really even seem to mind. We rocked, read books and sang at night after that without nursing and it was okay.

Good luck!
me-31, DH-31, 18 months TTC #1
Chemcial Pregnancy April 2008
IVF #1--bfp, 6dp5dt.
Jada Lauren 9/25/09
Breastfeed for 16 1/2 months.
1/18/2011--SUPRISE Bfp! (on my second PP cycle)
William Michael 9/22/11
27jillfinallypreggo
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:40 am

DS weaned at 16 months. I just cut out one naptime feeding a month (as he was not very interested). He cut out his early morning feeding on his own at 15 1/2 months. I planned on hanging onto the bedtime feeding until around 18 months or longer, but he had different plans :D. When on a long trip to visit my inlaws, it was getting hard to get him to nurse. Everything was different; he was excited and busy doing different things (plus cutting molars) and just didn't really want to stay latched for any length of time. A couple of nights he fell asleep in the car on the way home and never woke up when we laid him down. So we just decided he was ready to wean.

I might add, we had established a nighttime routine of bathtime, snack time, then of nursing on the bed with DH next to him. We'd say bedtime prayers and sometimes read a book to him at that time. So weaning was pretty seamless. We just cuddled and read books instead of nursing, and he never seemed to miss it!

It helped to cut out one naptime nursing at a time (he was taking 2 naps back then) to help him learn to go to sleep without nursing. That made it easier to learn to go to bed at night without nursing. He is always so busy constantly throughout the day and never has napped a lot, so by nighttime he's pretty worn out!

Hope that helps a little.

ETA: If you nurse in the dark at bedtime, maybe try the gradual approach by nursing in the light? And then you could add reading books and snuggles to the mix, so when the nighttime nursing is done, she is used to the routine?
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 am

Becca, when you eliminated the naptime nursing session(s), how then did you get your LO to sleep for naptime?
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding