Made the mistake of looking for online Breastfeeding videos

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Made the mistake of looking for online Breastfeeding videos

Postby KT5618 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

OH man. This is already bothering me!

ONe of my goals after delivering is to get out of the hospital and home as soon as safely possible to do so. I was looking up today tips on breastfeeding on lline, thinking it would be nice to have some advice on getting baby to latch on for the first time. Or even groups of women who I could talk to.

Well. On Youtube I found a zillion tips on "breastfeeding ettiquette" before finding a single video with actual latching tips. Seems the most important thing about breastfeeding is covering yourself... not how to actually do it! And because I'm really a sucker for punishment (or so it would seem) I typed in "breast feeding" on twitter. OH. MY. GOODNESS.

THe amount of posts that were people bitching about women breast feeding in public just blew me away! And it wasn't even just men uncomfortable with seeing a woman topless... it was other women calling each other derogatory names for having the audacity to feed their kid while other people were in the room/eating/existing etc.

My inner feminist just reared its ugly head. I think I need a shirt or something that says "If you dont like it... feel free to go hide in the bathroom til I'm done".

Its actually turning into my biggest fear with breastfeeding now... just dealing with everyone else's opinion/judgement. :/
-Kathryn
Me: 31
DW: 33
DD: 2.5

Pregnant via IUI and sperm donation

KT5618
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby fodla » Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm

I feed my kid in public. Anyone who has a problem can shove it. :)
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KT5618 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 pm

<3 Thats the attitude I Like. I sure hope I have the strength to be like that. Its so damn intimdating from this side of it.
-Kathryn

KT5618
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Rubyru » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 am

I fed both my daughters in public, regularly until they were one. I was always as discrete as possible, but never used cover ups as they did not like them.

Have you tried le leche for tips?
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Rubyru
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby victoria_1024 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 am

I breastfed in public all the time with both my kids and no one ever said anything to me, negative or otherwise. But I live in the midwest, people generally keep to themselves here, lol. I didn't use a cover up because I didn't like them, but I used nursing tanks with another shirt over it so honestly nobody could see anything unless baby popped off unexpectedly, but even then I would just quickly pull up my tank. I even took my daughter to disney world when she was 8 weeks old and nursed her all over the place, no one ever said a word about it and I don't think most people even noticed!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 am

I feed DS in public and rarely use a cover. I use a cover if I'm with DH, because he is uncomfortable with me NIP without my cover. The other day, I was nursing with my cover at Pizza Hut, and 2 tables got up and moved. I was like really people? Imagine what they would have done had I nursed cover free. lol
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KT5618 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Rubyru wrote:Have you tried le leche for tips?

I haven't! I have no idea where to even start looking to be honest. A lot of the women in my family either didn't breast feed or do it in private and never ever talk about it. I can only imagine the crap I'm gonna get when I start whippin' em out! Ah well. Whatever. Wont be the first one I've been the odd one out in the family and it wont be the last!
-Kathryn

KT5618
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jessm » Wed May 30, 2012 5:10 am

KT5618 wrote:

I haven't! I have no idea where to even start looking to be honest. A lot of the women in my family either didn't breast feed or do it in private and never ever talk about it. I can only imagine the crap I'm gonna get when I start whippin' em out! Ah well. Whatever. Wont be the first one I've been the odd one out in the family and it wont be the last!

La Leche is awesome. You hospital will also probably have a lactation consultant. Demand to see her more than once. This is a great resource too, the women here helped me immensely. I had a really rough start with nursing, but absolutely love it now.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby stefanielynn » Wed May 30, 2012 7:04 am

I've learned to avoid anything mainstream with the word "breastfeeding" attached. The more ignorant the person, the louder they seem to speak. Good for you for doing research ahead of time. That will really help your odds of success. I am part of a breastfeeding group on FB...I can see about adding you if you'd like?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Wed May 30, 2012 7:06 am

jessm wrote:
KT5618 wrote:

La Leche is awesome. You hospital will also probably have a lactation consultant. Demand to see her more than once. This is a great resource too, the women here helped me immensely. I had a really rough start with nursing, but absolutely love it now.

Make sure they're an IBCLC. Anyone can call themselves a lactation consultant—IBCLC means they're board-certified. The LCs at my hospital were beyond useless, but when we hired someone privately, she was magic.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 am

fodla wrote:
jessm wrote:
KT5618 wrote:

Make sure they're an IBCLC. Anyone can call themselves a lactation consultant—IBCLC means they're board-certified. The LCs at my hospital were beyond useless, but when we hired someone privately, she was magic.

Mine was. And she is amazing because I still can call her any time. I was having pumping issues and I actually went in and she watched me pump, for free!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KT5618 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 am

We actually have a midwife instead of a doctor (which is free here in Canada.). ONe of the many reason I wanted a midwife was for the breastfeeding support.
-Kathryn

KT5618
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jessm » Wed May 30, 2012 8:09 am

I think its great you are thinking about this before hand. I went into it thinking it would be SO easy and come naturally. I was a hot mess when it didn't lol
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 am

I nursed in public when my DS was younger and had no negative feedback at all. If I got any feedback at all (which wasn't much) it was positive. I don't think that many people really would have the guts to say anything to your face, even if they have an issue with it.

I was always discreet and tried to cover up as much as I could. DS did not like to nurse in public when he got older. It was just about impossible for him to focus, or even to want to eat!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm

KT5618 wrote:We actually have a midwife instead of a doctor (which is free here in Canada.). ONe of the many reason I wanted a midwife was for the breastfeeding support.

My midwives weren't particularly helpful. Supportive, but not all that helpful. It really depends on who you get. Just know that there are other resources if they can't give you enough guidance.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Breastfeeding