breastfeeding baby with multiple food allergies

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

breastfeeding baby with multiple food allergies

Postby ajs333 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 am

So I just found out yesterday that my baby is allergic to peanuts, milk, eggs, soy and shellfish. The allergist instructed me that I should cut these things from my diet, which I am happy to do for him. But she didn't give me a whole lot of instruction other than that. I guess I want to focus more on the foods I CAN eat instead of all the stuff I can't eat. I'm just concerned about all the foods that have these ingredients in them without my even knowing. Kwim? Aren't milk, eggs or soy pretty much in everything? I've just started looking at the sticky above but was hoping someone here had some personal experience with this? And obviously I am concerned about what I am going to feed him once he gets old enough to start eating real food. The allergist is optimistic that he will outgrow some of this in the years to come. Until then, I just don't know what to feed myself or him. Help?
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 am

There are options for foods: I just found out I can't eat much wheat, cow's dairy or peanuts.

I can do goat's milk which *might* be an option for you? I use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter, and eat a lot of alternative grains instead of wheat (rice, oats, garbanzo beans, barley, buckwheat, etc). Since wheat is not a problem I assume you can eat it anyway.

Another thing I want to mention is: I have been reading over and over some intriguing info on how probiotics can really help food allergies long term. Basically, people and even babies can have something called "leaky gut syndrome" where their small intestine gets tiny gaps in it, from the flora in their gut being unbalanced (too much bad bacteria, not enough good), which can cause or exacerbate allergies. NOthing is completely proven, but this leaky gut can be caused or worsened by antibiotics, shots (the body can sometimes recognize some ingredients in the shots as toxic), lots of pain meds, a poor diet high in starch and sugar, introduction to allergens too early, and on and on I am on probiotics now and feeling better!

You can even give infants probiotic drops, and I've heard great things about them. I would ask your doctor about them, of course, but since they are somewhat alternative medicine and not so much mainstream yet (for the treatment of allergies) they may not know much info about it?

Sorry this is kind of rambling. I am not feeling well today and my brain isn't functioning up to par! I hope you can do some research on this and see what you think. Hopefully it can help. :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks Becca. A couple of months ago I took Culturelle for a while when he had some really bad poop diapers. My pedi nurse actually suggested it. Maybe I'll try it again on a more long term basis? Probably couldn't hurt anything, right?
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 pm

There are lots of great alternatives nowadays, because food allergies are so prevalent. Especially if you go into the natural foods aisle.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am

ajs333 wrote:Thanks Becca. A couple of months ago I took Culturelle for a while when he had some really bad poop diapers. My pedi nurse actually suggested it. Maybe I'll try it again on a more long term basis? Probably couldn't hurt anything, right?

Definitely it can only help! I personally, if I were having these issues, would take them myself and give him infant probiotic drops. In addition to make dietary changes for now.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Danika » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi welcome to the club :)

My dd has both a dairy and almond allergies. Apparently with it being in the treenut family sometimes you can have reactions to other nuts.. so I just avoid those too (except peanuts she seems ok with me eating them).

http://www.godairyfree.org/ Has become a good friend of mine. I use it for groceries, fast food, and restaurants. (I'm sure there are probably similar sites for soy, etc.)

At first it is a little overwhelming but you will get the hang of things you can and can't eat. A lot of generic items have "can contain traces.." in them. Some people are bothered by them while others are not. I personally would avoid all of them for the first month or so until you have everything out of your system. Then try them and see if they are bothersome. Same with cutting only obvious items. My dd unfortunately requires cutting hidden and traces so far. It really does become routine. Once you read labels enough (always always read labels every time) you will recognize code names. For dairy look for things that have a circle with a U in them. They are normally dairy free. MOST things will tell you if they contain an allergen nowadays.

Seeing your baby 110% better makes it worthwhile :) especially knowing that you stuck with breastfeeding.

milks: almond & rice
dairy free butter: i use bestlife .. I'm not sure offhand if it has soy though

Make a trip to the store just to look at food labels. Lots of luck, Mama :)
Image Image
Danika
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyofgirls » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 pm

My DD I'm nursing is allergic to milk, wheat, soy, tomato, sweet potato, coconut, eggs (baked are fine) but like scrambled is not! and ana to banana.

So DO NOT DRINK GOATS MILK! Goats milk protein is like cow milk protein. Yes, focus on what you can't eat. Make sure you know all the other names for milk and soy as companies will say in the ingrediants such as whey which is diary and etc... You really need to get on kidswithfoodallergies. org They are awesome. This is really serious stuff. I can't even stress it enough. Yes, you can't find these foods at target, walmart and alot of regular grocery stores. There is 1 grocery store I travel 30min for that has a special 3 aisle gluten free section (no wheat) and has all the organic foods. So I read all ingrediants as my lo can still only eat 8 things per aisle that are free of everything she is allergic too.

As for milk for you to drink So delicious has a coconut milk as does Silk. You can also drink rice milk. BF till 2 if you can. BF kids allergic to milk is a godssend. The hypoallergenic forumla for allergic kids is very very very expensive! Like 10 times + what it is for normal formula & they have to be on the formula till age 2. GL, check out that website it's an amazing group of momma's that all have food allergic children of all ages.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding