breastfeeding and working full time

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

breastfeeding and working full time

Postby DueInMayMamma » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am

My daughter is 6 weeks old, and I started back to work a week ago at a completely new job. Thankfully they have a pumping room, but our breaks are only given in 10 minute increments 0.o. Needless to say it's been rough. I feel so disconnected from my daughter, and to add to the frustration I accidentally forgot to take one of my pumped bags out of my carrying thing to put it in the freezer the other night, so I lost 3 oz. It's been rough...at least I get to pump every hour though. Oh and I'm a new mom, so I have no idea, but how much should I be producing at this point? I normally get between 7 and 10 oz at work, and she eats about 9 while I'm gone, so I assume that's sufficient, but then I've read where some of you get 9 oz in a single pump! Any thoughts?
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jessm » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 am

Everyone pumps differently. I pump 9-12 ounces a day and my son eats 10-14. We have had to start supplementing with formula. Hang in there momma. It is hard to pump, it is quite a labor of love. You can do it. And if you don't pump enough its okay. Try bringing a picture of her while you pump, or take some videos on your phone. Get a hands free bra so that you can do other things while you pump (I get a better output if I ignore the pump and do hand compressions)
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby thirdtimesacharm » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Sounds like you are doing great to me! I always figured as long as I was pumping the same amount she was eating I was good. I wasn't like most of the ladies on here. I always kept very little freezer stash! Sometimes I had NO freezer stash. I usually pumped one day for what she would eat the next day. There were days when I would forget to pump twice at work so I'd be short for the next day but I'd just add a pumping session in the middle of the night. Not fun, but productive. I always had the most milk at 3-4am.

Long story short, you sound right on track!

thirdtimesacharm
Angel
Angel

Postby fodla » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:55 pm

I usually pump 4-5oz in a single session...but my baby is much older. :) Your baby's tummy is still tiny! Your output will increase until about 6 months, at which point it will plateau. After about 1 year, it will slowly start decreasing over time as solid foods start to become the main form of nutrition.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding