Adjusting to sleeping through the night.

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Adjusting to sleeping through the night.

Postby dasleepykittie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 am

My daughter is 6 weeks old and feeds every 2ish hours during the day and 3- 3 1/2 at night. I have been having issues getting my her to go back to sleep after her middle of the night feeding. She wakes up to feed and falls asleep at the breast within 2 minutes she would still nurse asleep but would be mostly flutter sucks and take forever and I kept falling asleep myself while she was "nursing". If I go to put her down she would wake back up and want to feed again so I have started taking her out her swaddle and nursing her in just her diaper so she wakes enough to eat but then she is so wide awake from it she wants to stay up for an hour or so after. The past few nights I have given her a pumped bottle and it works great, she can stay all bundled up and kills the bottle fast enough she doesn't fall asleep at it but is drowsy enough still to nod right back off when I lay her down. I have been getting up and pumping after I put her back down because wasn't sure if skipping that feeding would affect my supply. Last night I was so tired I fell asleep before getting up to pump and by her next feeding my chest was rock hard and she couldn't nurse because they wouldn't let down. I had to let her scream frustrated and hungry while I took a warm shower and massaged them in the water to express out some before I could nurse her.
My question is how do you get your breasts to adjust when baby starts sleeping through the night? I don't mind pumping since I'm already getting up to feed her but when she starts sleeping longer I will have a hard time waking to pump.
IUI #1 11/12 & 11/13 BFN
IVF #1, Egg retrieval on 12/20
3 embryos put in on 12/22
BFP! 12/30 Beta 17 1/03 Beta 77 1/07 Beta 393
Blighted ovum :( D&C 2/17/2011
IUI #2 3/16 & 3/17 BFN
IVF #2, Egg retrieval on 8/25
3 embryos put in on 8/27
BFP 9/5!!!
dasleepykittie
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jessm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 am

For me, DS started skipping one feeding at a time. First he cut out the 1 AM feeding. Then after a few weeks he cut out the 3 AM feeding. And eventually the 5 AM. So, since it was gradual, I was a little uncomfortable the first couple nights after he skipped a feeding but my body adjusted.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby fodla » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Jessie cut down gradually as well. And yes, it's painful for a few days every time.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DueInMayMamma » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

I feel ya! DD is 8 weeks old and had the same pattern your l/o does at about the 5-6 week mark as well. I wish I had some better advice for you other than you just have to wait it out, but that's what I had to do. Good luck!
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Breastfeeding