NYC going crazy

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

NYC going crazy

Postby jessm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:14 am

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/m ... t=National

I'm VERY pro breastfeeding, and plan on extended bfing, but I also recognize a woman's right to choose. I wouldn't go as far to call us lacto-nuts as the article does (it was the first news article I found about this), but I think its a little far. I understand maybe needing to sign a form once so that no baby gets a bottle accidentally. I would have been pretty pissed if I found out that happened.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby fodla » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm personally of the opinion that formula should be by prescription only. *shrugs*
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm

I think hospitals should do like my hospital did. They ask you before you have your baby if you plan on breastfeeding or formula feeding. If you say breastfeeding, they put a sign on your door and on the baby's isolette. That way the nurses know to offer help with latch, bfing hold positions, etc. instead of offering bottles. I did this with both of my babies, and can I just say the nurses were freakin' awesome. I did not end up successfully breastfeeding my first, but it wasn't because of the hospital pushing formula on me. I had to specifically tell them that I was giving up on breastfeeding and that I wanted a bottle for my baby. They brought it to me with no judgment at all. With my last baby it was different though. After a day or so I was having major trouble getting him to latch on (again). So one of the nurses suggested putting some drops of formula on my nipple to help him latch on. And for the first few days, before my milk came in, I would squirt a few drops of formula in his mouth with a syringe while holding him to the breast. It worked like a charm! He's been ebf ever since then- 7 months now. My point is that there was formula in my room, but I was asked before they brought it in. And it was explained to me WHY they were bringing it in. If I didn't want it in my room, I could have told them. And it ended up being a helpful tool for me. Having said all of that, I was sent home with a tote bag full of formula samples. I think that might be taking it a bit far. I was tempted at times to use it just because it was so hard in the beginning. I don't like how formula companies market toward mothers who've made a conscious decision to breastfeed. It's like they are just hoping you aren't successful. Anyway, I kept the cool tote bag and donated the formula to charity. Just my 2 cents.
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 am

ajs- first of all hi! you were in my DDC! but yeah I agree. I had to do the same to get him to latch, I did it with an eye dropper and expressed breast milk.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby Em » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 pm

DS was in the NICU for ten days and every single one of them was a battle with the nurses over trying to formula feed him. Having almost had my BFing relationship completely sabotaged by formula pushing (literally standing over my shoulder with a readied bottle while I BF), I have to say I kind of applaud their intentions in NY.

Excerpted from http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/health/ti ... =allsearch :

"NYU Langone Medical Center, which has already restricted access to formula, has seen its breast-feeding rate increase from 39% to 68% by doing so."

On that basis alone, I'm thinking this is a good thing.
Me :hb: DH DS1 (7) DS2 (5) DS3 (2.5)
ImageImage
Em
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 am

jessm wrote:ajs- first of all hi! you were in my DDC! but yeah I agree. I had to do the same to get him to latch, I did it with an eye dropper and expressed breast milk.

Yes, hi Jess. I remember you were really wanting to bf. I'm glad to see it is going so well. Keep up the good work mama.
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby JanuaryMama » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

:( Sad to hear that so many hospitals are treating formula as just as good as BM. I know a woman who gave birth and wanted to BF but since her milk wasnt coming in quick enough to their liking (and she was a scared FTM) they pushed and pushed for her to bottle feed. Since she felt there was something wrong with her she took them up on their professional advice and felt cheated of her chance to BF. She did try for a little while once her milk came in but I think they had created such a mind block for her that she "couldnt" nurse her baby that it was doomed from the start. Such an unfortunate situation especially since so few women these days feel the need to BF.
JanuaryMama
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Breastfeeding