Comfort nursing

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Comfort nursing

Postby armywife1980 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm

So, bf'ing is going great except that my LO wants to literally be constantly attached to the breast and I'm getting nothing else accomplished. If I could afford a maid and a chef to take care of the house and cooking I would care less. Alas, no such luck lol. My problem really with the constant nursing is she's nursing so much she's getting overly full and throwing up. Did anybody else have this problem with their LO? I feel so bad when she does it and she won't take a pacifier and I've tried several different kinds. I'm at a loss as what to do about this. Any advice?
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kitcantwait » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:30 am

DD has always been a great comfort nurser and I had loadsa milk in the beginning which did mean that she'd get too much sometimes and return the surplus :) She's also always relied entirely on me (has never sucked on fingers/toys and no paci). The sicking up thing stopped all by itself once she got a little bit older and my supply evened out. I forget when exactly this happened but I want to say no later than 3 mos. In those early days I definitely did little other than BF and decided s*d the housework, it can wait until she's bigger, but that was a luxury I had as a first-time mom and you def don't! Any chance you'd be able to wear her in a sling so she can nurse while you get some stuff done? (((big hugs)))
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 am

We had this issue. DS never wanted a paci from me. It does get better.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby armywife1980 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks ladies. I just wasn't sure if it was normal for her to be nursing to point of making herself sick like that lol. She's only done it a couple times but... My other children were FF and so this is my 1st time bf'ing and I really know nothing other than what I googled. I like hearing from other moms who have been through it better than Dr. Google. lol
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby fodla » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Totally normal. :) Have you tried babywearing with a proper ergonomic baby carrier (ie not a Bjorn or similar)? I nurse in our Kinderpack and it's a convenient way to keep baby fed/happy without stopping me from moving around.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby armywife1980 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

Yes- As a matter of fact I'm getting a Moby wrap on pay day. I have a seven sling but in my opinion have found it to be pretty useless. I really hope she likes the Moby as I'm perfectly fine with baby wearing as a solution. I love, love holding her and being close to her. I've figured out that she only really wants to comfort nurse when she has trapped gas and I did find a pacifier she will take. I only give it to her when I absolutely KNOW her belly is full. My supply is well established it seems, so I thought it'd be ok to give her one when she's fussing while I pat her back and rub her tummy to help with the gas. Any opinions on bf babies using pacifiers?
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby quinna » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 pm

armywife1980 wrote:Yes- As a matter of fact I'm getting a Moby wrap on pay day. I have a seven sling but in my opinion have found it to be pretty useless. I really hope she likes the Moby as I'm perfectly fine with baby wearing as a solution. I love, love holding her and being close to her. I've figured out that she only really wants to comfort nurse when she has trapped gas and I did find a pacifier she will take. I only give it to her when I absolutely KNOW her belly is full. My supply is well established it seems, so I thought it'd be ok to give her one when she's fussing while I pat her back and rub her tummy to help with the gas. Any opinions on bf babies using pacifiers?

My DD has been using a paci pretty consistently for about a month now, and I don't feel like there has been any issues with my supply or her eating. She's gaining well, and I have plenty of milk. I don't use it to "hold her off" if she's hungry, and I still feed on demand which can be as often as every hour or less sometimes. I would be more inclined to let her comfort suck at the boob more often, but she gets mad and pops off, and realistically with a needy toddler, I just can't sometimes.
Ashley (27) DH (37)
Colin Lawrence 3/16/10
Aria Elizabeth 6/22/12
ImageImage
quinna
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:16 am

Oh yes, this is totally normal. My DD wouldn't take a paci either and was literally attached to me ALL DAY. The wrap helps immensely! She would often fall asleep in it so I'd be free to go about my business in the house.

My son took a pacifier from day one and never had an issue breastfeeding. I think it completely depends on the baby. I actually don't think I'll even try a paci with our next one (if there is a next one). As difficult as the few weeks in the beginning were (I want to say it got hugely better around 2-3 months...the early days are such a blur!), it has been so worth it to not have to put the binky back in when it falls out, to not be picking them up off the floor when they get thrown out of bed, to not have to wean off of it...
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby armywife1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks ladies. Actually, she's doing much better. She was having some reflux issues and I got her some gripe water which has helped a lot. She still comfort nurses but since her stomach is better it's not constant. I can't wait to get my Moby:)
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby aloeberry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 am

Just wanted to say that this is all totally normal! Both my boys were EBF and my first wanted to nurse all the time as a newborn. He LOVED the moby. And both my boys used pacis and continued to BF until after 12 months. Good luck mama, you are doing great.
DS #1 born 4/4/10
DS #2 born 2/1/12

aloeberry
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Breastfeeding