nursing while pregnant

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

nursing while pregnant

Postby kitcantwait » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:50 am

Do any of you have any experience with this? DD is still nursing quite a bit at 18mos, after waking up and before going to bed are the biggies but sometimes during the day and quite often once or twice at night too. I don't want her to wean unless she chooses to, and she might not as she's a great comfort nurser, so I'm bracing myself for the discomfort and dwindling supply, but is there anything I can do to make either of those less of an issue for us? TIA!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, my experience so far (18 weeks here) is that my son cut down substantially as my supply declined. And he was nursing 10 times a day when I conceived! My milk dried up last week and I really thought he was done- he'd nurse occasionally for like 2 seconds and then say "all gone" and flip over and go to sleep. We still co-sleep too and he stopped nursing throughout the night. but as of yesterday I started getting colostrum in and he is happy. I was seriously hoping he'd self wean, lol. Oh the sore nipples for me went away after the 1st trimester but I have heard of women saying it actually got worse for them so I guess it's individual.
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Melissa, that's really helpful! DD has actually stepped up her nursing - I think she'd stay latched on all night if she could! We co-sleep so it's not so much of an issue, except for the sore nipples, but I do worry how she's going to react when my supply takes a hit. Oh well, I guess I'll just play it by ear. But thanks for your reply. I'm sorry your DS didn't self-wean. Are you planning on tandem feeding if he continues to be interested? Hope you have a lovely smooth ride for your remaining months!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding