ttc while bf

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

ttc while bf

Postby tandie7 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Hello ladies I am new to this site..me and.dh are ttc it has been almost 10 months.. well my son is going to be 2 in November... I bf sometimes could this be the reason I ain't got prego yet? I don't have afs at all I just started to chart yesterday.. anything will be nice to know.. anything I can take over counter to help me o?[/list]
tandie7

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Well, I conceived my daughter and this baby while breastfeeding, so it's definitely possible! Sometimes it can just take a while though. Are you getting regular periods? Definitely charting will help to figure out when you are ovulating. Did you have trouble conceiving your first?
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 am

It took me a fairly long time to get my cycle back. I'm still bfing DD loads and it wasn't until she was a good 17 months that anything at all started happening in the fertility department :) I was feeling all hormonal and finally started getting some wet CM (sorry, tmi), having not had any up to that point, so I started charting and using OPKs. I then geared up to ovulate a few times but didn't quite make it (OPKs would get darker but not quite dark enough, temp would rise for a day or two then drop again), but it finally happened and we actually managed to catch the first eggie. Wouldn't have had a clue what was going on without the charting!

We didn't do or take anything to encourage my fertility back, but what did it for us was when DD started going 8+ hours during the day without a feed (though she still fed loads at night and since I got pregnant is feeding like a newborn again!). It's really rare that you have to wean completely to start cycling again, though it does occasionally happen, but what has worked for one lady I know is to go cold-turkey for a 24-hour period, just to kickstart things, if you think your LO can cope with that. How frequently do you bf?

I was getting pretty anxious waiting with no sign of my fertility returning, but it can just suddenly start up again, so you're doing all the right things preparing for it. FX and very best of luck to you!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am

If you haven't gotten ANY periods yet, that could be related to BFing. How often are you feeding? Dropping even 1 or 2 feeds per day could be enough to trigger the return of your cycle.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding