Weaned toddler now interested??

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Weaned toddler now interested??

Postby desies » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 pm

DS1 weaned himself when I was 4 months pregnant with DS2. DS1 was 14 months at the time. I kind of expected him to show some interested when I nursed the new baby but he didn't. Now DS1 is 2.5 and DS2 is almost 1. Tonight for the first time DS1 requested "mommy's milk". I told him he could have a sippy of milk and I would hold him close like I do with baby and he could drink his milk from the sippy. Well that wasn't what he wanted at all and he would try to pull down my shirt. I wasn't sure how to react to it because he would get upset if I pulled it back up. He's seen me nurse DS2 a million time and I often bath with both of them so he's familiar with the anatomy. Finally I explained how baby gets his milk and offered it to him if he wanted to try it again. He kind of looked at me, looked at my breasts, looked at me, had a close up look at breasts, etc. I think he was still a bit unsure and opted for his sippy instead. I'm not sure if there is a better way to deal with this.
Me - 31
DH - 31
DS1 - 4
DS2 - 2
Surprise baby ? -
desies
Addicted
Addicted

Postby LaraE » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 am

Hey girl! Are you able to pump a little bit for him to have in a sippy?
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey hon, Harley never even nursed and about 6 months ago she asked for milk. I was fairly surprised but I said sure, go ahead. She kind of mouthed it for a second, said "Mmm yummy milk!" (uh no she truly did not get any, lol) and never asked again. I think it may have been a jealousy thing between her and Dylan more than the milk and by not making a big deal she realized she didn't really want to nurse. Plus she didn't know how. I've heard even kids that were breastfed forget how to latch fairly quickly. You may just let him try and see what happens.
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding