And another question, this time about daycare...

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

And another question, this time about daycare...

Postby unaffected » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 am

Ok, it's me again, with another question.

I'm looking in to several daycares in town, as I will be (unfortunately) returning to work 8 weeks after Henry is born. I plan on pumping while at work.

In your expert opinions, would it be well worth paying an extra $88/week ($350/month) to take him to the onsite daycare here at my work, where I can walk over and breastfeed him twice a day? Not to mention it would save a tremendous amount of time (not having to drive him across town to the more affordable daycare), and money (gas money!).

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the one here onsite, but idk what DH will say about spending the extra $$ per month.
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby luvin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:16 am

For some people, their supply decreases when pumping. So if you could throw in a couple of feedings at the breast, I think it would be worth it. Plus the gas, and just the comfort of having him so close. If you have one on site that you could use, even if it's bit a more $$, I'd be all about it!
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am

I don't work, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think it would be worth it to spend the extra money to have baby onsite. I think that is an amazing opportunity for you as a mom (it is REALLY hard to be away from our babies, especially when they are teeny tiny) and would be a great benefit to your nursing relationship. Again, I don't work, but if I did I would absolutely spend the extra to have my baby near me.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 am

I'd absolutely want to do the onsite daycare. I'd come up with a financial plan for how you are going to cover the extra monthly cost before you present it to your dh. You will probably have to cut a thing or two out of your budget. But when you present it to him like this and he sees that you are willing to sacrifice something, I bet he'll be willing to do it.
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby LaraE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 am

How is the on site daycare? Is it a good one? Do you feel comfortable about it?

The on site at my office wasnt that impressive, small, crowded, loud and the staff didnt impress me. I work from home 4 days a week anyway so i opted for one closer to my house

But if youre comfortable with that one PLUS you'llhave the opp to nurse there, i think thats a great option!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for your input, ladies! Most of you are saying what I thought you'd say, and what I'm thinking anyway!

ajs333 - Good suggestion about me sacrificing something, and coming up with a plan before talking to DH about it.

Lara - The onsite daycare is really nice. It's a brand new building, has a higher ration of teachers to infants than other places locally, has a nurse on staff, etc. I really liked the feel of it. The babies in the infant room seemed to be having fun, as did the older kids who were coming in from playing, or doing an activity in their respective classroom. The in-home daycare I was planning on going with won't have an educational slant to it at all, so I'm really liking that aspect of the onsite daycare.

Well, I don't have to make a decision today, which is good. Plus, I don't even know for sure if I'll get in the onsite place, since they have a waiting list. I'm just going to stay on all the lists I'm currently on, and really hope we get in at the onsite place.
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby jessm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Kara, if I had the money I would choose the onsite one. Especially when Henry is little little you are going to be DYING to get to him. I used to RACE out of work. My daycare is 5 min from work, I can't imagine having to drive all the way across town or out of my way to get him. That said, as far as walking over and BFing him yourself, that's great if you can do it. At first I would have a hard time leaving him and I could theoritcally go nurse him on my lunch break, but I never have. That's because I cried like a baby as I left for the first week. If I could just walk to him, I probably would have though. I remember sitting at my desk crying because Declan was having a bad day and I couldn't go nurse him, which I knew would calm him down. IMHO its worth the extra money to go to the daycare you feel most comfortable about. I would tell DH that you are breastfeeding which saves TONS of money (just point to a single can of formula) and tell him your supply might dip from pumping and then you'd have to buy formula! I've had to supplement some, although I haven't bought formula yet I've been using free samples people have given me. Plus you are CDing right? I am spending an extra 200 a month for a daycare I'm comfortable with and I wouldn't change my mind for a second.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby fodla » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 pm

I would do it in a heartbeat. I could do lunches with my smunchie!
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 pm

That's a tough one. $350 a month is a LOT to me, but pumping is super stressful and I miss my babies so much when I'm at work, I would love to have a couple moments during my work day to nurse. If you are able to do it financially and you liked the daycare, I would go for it.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Hikergirl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:37 am

Yes, I think it is worth it. Pumping is a royal pain, and it will be so nice to spend that few minutes with him during the day, instead of with a pump. You can always switch him to another daycare when he is older, the extra expense is probably worth it to have him close for the first two years or so.
Me (Jen): 35 DH: 38
DS - Ivan Scott born December 23, 2009
DD - Iris Marcella born February 24, 2012

Hikergirl
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding