Uneven sides

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Uneven sides

Postby litmajor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

DD is 12 days old, I am EBFing right now and it is going well. My only concern is that my left side doesn't seem to be producing as much as my right side. Righty is generally more full. She usually eats off of both sides, but will occasionally only do the right side. I've tried to even it out with the left side, but she always wants both if I start off with the left.

I'm not overly worried about it, as she is eating very well (had already started gaining weight at her pedi appt at 5 days old!) and I know the left side is producing.. Just doesn't seem as much. Any advice? Should I be more concerned than I am?
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Uneven sides

Postby jessm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:58 am

Totally normal. When I pumped this morning I got over 5 oz out of my left and 1.5 out of the right. Most people have a boob that produces better. I tried everything to encourage righty to produce more, never worked. DS has always preferred lefty too.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 pm

jessm wrote:Totally normal. When I pumped this morning I got over 5 oz out of my left and 1.5 out of the right. Most people have a boob that produces better. I tried everything to encourage righty to produce more, never worked. DS has always preferred lefty too.

I totally agree with the pp, it's normal. I'm EPing and get two more ounces out of my right side than I do my left. Since I'm EPing, both sides get the same amount of stimulation, but I've always pumped noticeably less from the left.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby wonderwoman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 am

Yup, normal. It may even out over time, or it might stay that way. My daughter has always prefered the left side to the right, and that side makes far more milk.
wonderwoman
Friend

Postby ajs333 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:02 am

Same here. My right produces way more than my left. Always has. In the beginning, DS refused to even nurse from my left side. It was like he knew it was faulty or something? :? Now he will nurse from the left side a couple of times a day or in the middle of the night when I can trick him into it because he's sleepy and doesn't know better. It bugs the crap out of me because righty is so much bigger than lefty now and I feel lopsided. But besides that, I keep hearing it is perfectly normal so try not to worry. Keep up the good work!
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby litmajor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks you guys! Glad to hear that it's normal... Does it have anything to do with being right handed vs left handed? Maybe just a more dominant side in general?
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am

litmajor wrote:Thanks you guys! Glad to hear that it's normal... Does it have anything to do with being right handed vs left handed? Maybe just a more dominant side in general?

Who the heck knows? :dunno: Just a couple of weeks after I started bfing my son and had all the action on my right breast, my vision got significantly worse in my right eye only. So bad that I had to go in and get new, stronger contacts for my right eye. I asked my eye doctor if one thing had anything to do with the other and she kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't think it was that bizarre of a question.
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 am

litmajor wrote:Thanks you guys! Glad to hear that it's normal... Does it have anything to do with being right handed vs left handed? Maybe just a more dominant side in general?

My LC said they used to think that, but they have since found it isn't true. They think maybe it has something to do with the amount of milk ducts. I wonder if it produces more bc DS has always preferred that side or does DS prefer that side because it produces more. Chicken or the egg lol
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby litmajor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm

I know this is a super old post, but if anyone is curious, my dominant side has switched. My left boob gives more milk faster than my right side, DD seems annoyed with the right one. Weird!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:42 am

I am not sure about actual production on each side, but I do have one side that lets down a lot faster and sprays everywhere, versus the other side, which just trickles :) They do vary. And if your baby is favoring one side and nursing more on it, she might be encouraging even more disparity in milk supply.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding