Holy hurting nipples!!!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Holy hurting nipples!!!

Postby MegsIsMommy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 am

Nursing for 23 months now, on demand many times a day. I have not had nipple pain like this since she was a week old and I had mastitis! I usually have sore nipples a couple of days before af but still not like they are now. I suspect it is related to ovulation but that was six days ago! My nipples didn't hurt at all one day and the next they were piercing painful and have been since.

It is only my nipples. My breasts do not hurt. Even my bra and drying off after a shower hurts! I do not see white on my nipples or in dd mouth so I don't suspect thrush. Also no fever or lumps or streaks like when I had mastitis before.

Could this seriously be directly related to ovulation and still hurt this long after? I have started using the lanish again and it helps to take the edge off. Any other ideas???
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Holy hurting nipples!!!

Postby Sisrea » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

What about her latch? Could it be a lazy latch due to age??
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am

MegsIsMommy wrote:Nursing for 23 months now, on demand many times a day. I have not had nipple pain like this since she was a week old and I had mastitis! I usually have sore nipples a couple of days before af but still not like they are now. I suspect it is related to ovulation but that was six days ago! My nipples didn't hurt at all one day and the next they were piercing painful and have been since.

It is only my nipples. My breasts do not hurt. Even my bra and drying off after a shower hurts! I do not see white on my nipples or in dd mouth so I don't suspect thrush. Also no fever or lumps or streaks like when I had mastitis before.

Could this seriously be directly related to ovulation and still hurt this long after? I have started using the lanish again and it helps to take the edge off. Any other ideas???

Are you sure on O day? You could be *possibly* be in the very early stages of pregnancy :) I have heard of pregnancy causing very tender nipples while nursing a baby or toddler.

We weaned right before I got pregnant this time, so I can't say from personal experience. I do know that I implanted VERY early with this one (and I was sure to within a day or two of O day). Just a thought!

I suppose it could be hormonal changes of other kinds too. Sorry I don't have any good advice, really, but I hope the pain stops soon!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Latch was my first thought the first time I had the sore nipples and have been focusing on the latch but to no avail.... :-( other than her usual nursetastics she has a great latch.

I suspect I ovulated 6 days ago but my last af was also really light, as in only spotting, and very scattered. I'll wait another 5 days and if no af will test. As much as I would love to be pregnant, my history says not likely. :-/ I know God works miracles though so I have that glimmer of hope....

So is it normal to have nipples hurt like this from ovulation to af??
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:32 am

I hope you are pregnant! You did it once--you can do it again :D

I got AF back at 3 1/2 months PP and nursed until DS was 16 months. I never had nipple pain between O and AF, until just before AF they were a bit more tender. Every mom is different though. I had milk supply issues the first few times for the few days before AF returned. That stunk :(

I'll be checking back to see if you find any answers!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks Becca! This is my sixth Ppaf cycle and the first my nipples have hurt like this! :-/ Guess time will tell.... My husband keeps asking if I am pregnant so I think he is getting his hopes up prematurely. :-( I will update indeed.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Have you taken any new medication? This may sound weird but I've had to take Imitrex (for migraine) a couple of times since DS was born. And both times it made my nipples hurt BAD! Something about vessel restriction? I don't know... just thought I'd throw it out there. Whatever is causing it, I hope it gets better soon.
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kitcantwait » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I was going to ask you this
Are you sure on O day? You could be *possibly* be in the very early stages of pregnancy I have heard of pregnancy causing very tender nipples while nursing a baby or toddler.

too!
My one and only (and very very early) symptom of pregnancy were incredibly sore nipples, not as in cracked but just really really painful, and this has remained my only symptom so far. It did start with ovulation from me and just never went away, so do go pee on something :D Seriously, I really really hope it means the same for you as it did for me, fingers tightly crossed!!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks ladies for the replies. Unfortunately the witch showed but good news, lp was a normal length! :-) Slver lining.....

I have actually been anxious about ovulating again and feeling that pain for two weeks every cycle. :-/ This cycle has been crazy with spotting and no clear ovulation signs so maybe being anxious is keeping ovulation away? :-(
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding