help- new to bf, eating every 1 hour...

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

help- new to bf, eating every 1 hour...

Postby Norton99 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 am

My son was doing good the first 3-4 days, eating every 2-4 hours even went once at night for 4 whole hours, which was great for me.
But something happened and he wants to eat constant now and its usually every 1 hour about and the other issue is he will not sleep. if i keep him sleeping at the breast for 30-45 min and put him down he'll stay asleep, usually, but if i put him down sooner he will not. A lot of times he falls asleep for 10-15 minutes and i put him down and he's up wide awake. usually crying alot but sometimes even just sittin lookin around. he looked around 45 minutes today after a feed and i gave him my finger to suck on too and he never fell asleep. finally i nursed him again for a few minutes, he fell asleep and went down. woke up 40 min later. i changed, played with for a few minutes and fed again and same thing now- i went to go put him down he's up crying in his bassinet. last night he was up for hours it seemed. only sleeping 5-10 minutes here and there. WHY?! is this all b/c of breastfeeding. i never had any of this w/ my bottle fed daughter. i love bf and never even imagined id enjoy it this much so i want to stick with it, probably for a long time.... if he'd just sleep 2-3 hours or even just 2 i could handle it, but sleeping only a few minutes each hour, oh my i'm exhausted. and i get frustrated. any suggestions? yes im producing enough milk and he latches fine and im not engorged anymore. i only use nipple shield sometimes now on the one side and he was born at 8lbs 4 oz. i dont understand never sleeping! i thought all newborns sleep most of the time for the first couple weeks, like my dd.
Norton99

Re: help- new to bf, eating every 1 hour...

Postby KJ511 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 pm

How old is your son? Babies go through a few growth spurts in the first couple weeks/months, so it might be the reason he's eating all the time--trying to increase your supply! It only lasts a few days! Hang in there!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Hang in there. It gets better! At this early stage you can expect them to eat every 2 hours (from when you started) and for each session to take 40+ minutes. When they are going through a growth spurt they seem to nurse nonstop. Its to build your supply. Growth spurts are the WORST but they usually only last a day or two.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm guessing your baby must be pretty young and this sounds pretty normal for those first couple of weeks. My 2 kids were both different... my son sounds like he was more like your baby, he ate all.freakin.night.long and I would be lucky to get an hour or two of sleep in a row. At the time it felt like this stage lasted forever, but I know it wasn't that long in reality. My daughter was different, because she would cluster feed from about 8 pm until 2 am literally non stop. I mean I couldn't stop nursing her for those 6 hours or she would cry and cry, but then after she FINALLY stopped nursing, she would sleep for several hours in a row. With both kids, I remember just being in tears in the middle of the night because I was so tired.

Stick with it, because it really and truly gets better! Baby is just trying to build your supply and is going through growth spurts. Plus he's comforted by mama so it's not just about eating, but that closeness he gets from BFing too. Hang in there!!!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DueInMayMamma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Ah the ladies above me stated...GROWTH SPURT! Lol. I absolutely loathed the first growth spurt DD went through, but that's because I had no idea what was going on and why she seemed so hungry for no reason. It really does get better, don't fret! Just keep with it. You are doing great!
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby fodla » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:24 am

Yep, sounds like a growth spurt to me too. Just keep repeating "This too shall pass..."
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:27 am

fodla wrote:Yep, sounds like a growth spurt to me too. Just keep repeating "This too shall pass..."

this was my mantra in the early days. and whenever we go through a rough patch.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby oktober84 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 am

Sounds like you got yourself a comfort nurser! lol. They seem to turn into little monsters when they want to comfort themselves with the boob lol. Now is the time to stop it before it gets to out of hand. There are a few things you can do. You can strip baby down to the diaper so he has no other choice but to be awake the whole time you are nursing. It does not give him the opportunity to fall asleep sucking. He will start to pop off the boob as he will get full and will be unable to fall asleep. The other things that you can do is pump 1-2 oz of breast milk and let his soother soak in the milk covered in the fridge for 1 day, sterilize as normal (the breastmilk smell will never go away after this so if you pop the soother in his mouth he will still smell you) once he is done his feeding wrap him up tight in a shirt that you have already worn all day and it will mimick the feeling of him being nursed. Try those things out and get back to me. I have plenty more things you can try as my DD was a classic case of colic/comfort nurser so she was double the trouble to get to sleep lol.
ME-33 DD-7 DS-3 DD-1

March 19 2009 Haley Gianna Mikaela was born 5lbs 15oz. (39+3 WEEKS)
April 11 2013-Lucas Brian Alexander 6lbs 6oz (36+4 WEEKS)
May 07 2015- Tenley Grace Daenarys 6 lbs 4oz (37 WEEKS)
Baby #4 due September 07 2017
oktober84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am

Hugs! I agree--sounds like a growth spurt. Honestly, in the first several weeks I would ignore the clock. I know you are mentally and physically drained, but it will get better soon. I don't think it has to do with feeding method so much as the individual baby. Both of my kiddos have been breastfed and both of them have been entirely different. My son was like yours, not sleeping. He took a pacifier, though. My daughter refused pacifiers and during the day was CONSTANTLY attached to me BUT was sleeping well at night. Have you used a wrap or anything? Wrapping my daughter was a huge help since it would often lull her to sleep and allow me to get things done around the house. Keeping baby with you at night might help you get more sleep, too, if that's something you're willing to try.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding