Baby Wont Sleep Alone! Please Help!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Baby Wont Sleep Alone! Please Help!

Postby amvogel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:44 pm

DS is only a week old and already won't sleep anywhere but next to me at night. I'm not opposed to co-sleeping, but wasn't really sure about doing it this soon with him being so tiny. DD was not like this. She slept in a bassinet next to the bed with no problems. I'm starting to think it has something to do with BFing. DD was bottle fed with half pumped breast milk and half formula. DS is exclusively breast fed. My Mom thinks its because he smells his milk radiating off of me, where DD wouldn't have really depended on that scent for comfort. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or know if my Mom is right about the milk scent? TIA!
Me(Alecia)-29
DH(Alan)-29
DD-Born 01/01/10
DS-Born 10/09/12

amvogel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Baby Wont Sleep Alone! Please Help!

Postby DueInMayMamma » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Didn't want to read and run, but I don't have much experience. DD has always been a great sleeper and she's ebf. Have you tried moving your l/o to their own space once they're asleep?
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby amvogel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 am

Thank out for your response. Yes, we've tried moving him to the bassinet once he's asleep and within 15 minutes he's awake and crying. As soon as we move him back in bed with us he falls back to sleep.
Me(Alecia)-29
DH(Alan)-29
DD-Born 01/01/10
DS-Born 10/09/12

amvogel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 am

Do you swaddle? DD wouldn't stay asleep when she was tiny because she kept startling herself awake. When her arms couldn't move, she didn't startle. Plus it made her feel all comfy and womb-like. :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby LaraE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 am

I second the swaddling. My DD was swaddled until 6 mnths lol
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amvogel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks ladies! I'll give it a try tonight! :)
Me(Alecia)-29
DH(Alan)-29
DD-Born 01/01/10
DS-Born 10/09/12

amvogel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 am

Here's a potentially stupid question...

When you are swaddling, do you unswaddle when it's time for a feeding? Or keep them swaddled?
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby LaraE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Kara, in the middle of the night, I would keep her swaddled through the feeding etc because my goal was to get her back to sleep ASAP. But, you could unswaddle if you wanted to or needed to change the dipe, etc. depends on what you want to do. but for me, middle of the night feedings were as quick as possible with as little interruption as necessary!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 pm

LaraE wrote:Kara, in the middle of the night, I would keep her swaddled through the feeding etc because my goal was to get her back to sleep ASAP. But, you could unswaddle if you wanted to or needed to change the dipe, etc. depends on what you want to do. but for me, middle of the night feedings were as quick as possible with as little interruption as necessary!

Definitely. We use a Sleep Sack swaddler and they unzip from the bottom. I just leave her swaddled for everything and unzip from foot to waist for diaper changes. She usually sleeps through that too.
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm

I unswaddle her for the first side at night, change her diaper, and then swaddle her back up and feed her on the second side.

In the beginning, we didn't unswaddle her at all, as we were using a Woombie. She outgrew it and I haven't really figured out how to do diaper changes in the SwaddleMes (and it's not really a problem to unswaddle and then do it back up again).
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 am

I would try swaddling and a sound maker with white noise. That really helped my son. Also try putting a heating pad on the bassinet for a few minutes before you lay her down. Sometimes the cold of the sheets wakes them.

Kara- in the beginning I unswaddled because DS wouldn't stay awake. When he got older and better about staying awake to drink his milk I just left him swaddled.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 am

We slept with DS until he was a couple months old (not the whole night). Basically, I would sleep/nurse for the first half of the night, and then he would go into his longer stretch of a few hours after midnight. I would nurse him, swaddle him and lay him on his side w/ a blanket rolled up behind his back (he slept better on his side and later on his tummy than he ever did on his back, BTW). Then I would sleep with him in bed after his early morning waking for a couple more hours. That's what worked for us until he was about 2 - 2 1/2 months old, and then he transitioned to sleeping most or all of the night in the co-sleeper (once being nursed to sleep).

It may not happen all at once, but if you really don't want to co - sleep ( him in bed with you) just keep your goal in mind and work towards it. At least with my son, he hit a point around 2 1/2 months where he slept longer stretches and it was easier for him to fall asleep. I would still lie next to him after nursing with him in the co-sleeper and my hand on his back, and that helped him feel like he was falling asleep next to me. Than I could tiptoe out of the room. If he woke up, often nursing and doing the same (hand on him) would help him go back to sleep.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding