Periods And BF

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Periods And BF

Postby my2012baby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:38 am

I had posted this on the August board, maybe you can help...

Today I got my period back geeeez has it been a long time! It's exactly 9 weeks post partum and considering I am exclusively bf I was a bit surprised to be honest.
My mom told me she had hers back at 4months with me and soon after her milk supply disappeared and she had to bottle feed. That's ok, at 4 months but I'm only 9 weeks, I hope my milk stays we really only got the hang of bf in the last couple weeks and now enjoying it!

What are your experiences with periods and bf? Is it really a sure deal period= no milk?

Thank you!
my2012baby

Re: Periods And BF

Postby jessm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 am

I haven't gotten my period back, but I know lots of people who keep BFing after. I've heard you tend to get a supply dip the first few days and then it goes back up. Just nurse nurse nurse.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:20 am

Honestly, it might not even be a period. Are you feeding on demand around the clock? It's not uncommon to have a second bout of bleeding after your PP bleeding stops. I had it at 6 weeks with my first (didn't bleed again until he was 17 months) and at 8 weeks with my second (no actual period until 16 months). 9 weeks is on the later end of when that second bleeding can happen, but still possible.

In the event this is your period, keep nursing as much as possible. Your supply might drop a bit, but it should come right back up after a day or two. Just stick with it and feed as often as you can. I breastfed my first for another 5 months after my first period (he self weaned at 22 months) and I'm still feeding my youngest despite having two AFs and my next *should* be starting any day now.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm

I can totally relate! I got my first period back at 3 1/2 months PP, and I exclusively BF'ed around the clock. And I know it was a real period because I started temperature charting just to see and I actually saw a temp shift and couldn't believe it was happening so early!! It was a bit irregular for the next couple of times, but it was back to stay. My mom got hers back at 4 months also so it must be in the genes for both of us.

The only time I remember having a rough time with supply was my second period. It was before we started solids and DS went through a growth spurt (and started teething) around the time my milk supply went down a few days before AF showed. Since he didn't take a bottle, that was hard :( But we nursed a LOT and my milk supply bounced back a day or two after AF bleeding started.

This is what helped me during my pre-AF supply dip:

Eating well (lots of protein and calcium)
Drinking a lot of water
Taking extra calc-mag supplements
Drinking mother's milk tea
Nursing a lot!

Don't worry--you will be able to provide milk for your baby. even if AF is back. If your baby takes a bottle and you pump, if you have to give your LO a bottle of pumped milk here or there only around AF, that would be fine!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 am

Becca--what's in mother's milk tea and where can I get it? I thought I had my first PPAF last week but I'm not sure--no supply dip, so I'll be watching to see whether I get another one in a few weeks. I just want to be prepared in case that is what happened and I do experience a decrease next time. Also, I've heard of lactation cookies--what do you ladies think of them? Does anyone have the recipe? I'm sure I could do a search but I'm too lazy. ;) Also I trust you ladies' opinions more than random info I might find!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I just started spotting this evening, which is funny because I've been reading this thread and another one about PP bleeding having a comeback! Is it really possible to get AF at 7 weeks PP when I'm BFing? :( Or is it likely a resurgence?

How can you even tell the difference anyway? Temping isn't exactly an option right now, haha.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 am

litmajor wrote:I just started spotting this evening, which is funny because I've been reading this thread and another one about PP bleeding having a comeback! Is it really possible to get AF at 7 weeks PP when I'm BFing? :( Or is it likely a resurgence?

How can you even tell the difference anyway? Temping isn't exactly an option right now, haha.

Guessing that it's probably PP bleeding. My PP bleeding stopped after 2 weeks, but then I started up again for a few days (lightly) around 6 weeks. Google "6 week bleed post partum" and you'll find more info. That was unrelated to AF, which started for real at about 15 -ish weeks PP for me.

BTW, I still temped, even though it was a bit irregular because my son was up at random times. It isn't as accurate, but if you can quickly temp after your largest chunk of sleep, even if it's at somewhat different times each morning, I still find you can discover a temp shift.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 am

KJ511 wrote:Becca--what's in mother's milk tea and where can I get it? I thought I had my first PPAF last week but I'm not sure--no supply dip, so I'll be watching to see whether I get another one in a few weeks. I just want to be prepared in case that is what happened and I do experience a decrease next time. Also, I've heard of lactation cookies--what do you ladies think of them? Does anyone have the recipe? I'm sure I could do a search but I'm too lazy. ;) Also I trust you ladies' opinions more than random info I might find!

Link to where we got it when I was BF'ing last time: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Mamas-Milk ... milk%20tea

It has in it: Red raspberry leaf, fennel seed, nettle leaf, fenugreek seed, dandelion leaf, blessed thistle

You can also find similar teas at health food stores or many grocery stores (the ones that also carry organic food and such). They will be more expensive, naturally, since it's cheaper to buy loose tea in bulk. I really think it made a difference for us, but you have to drink more than just a few sips a day.

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Yea I am pretty sure it's a PP bleed- it was mainly spotting last night and a little this morning, but not like AF. Thankfully!
BeccaM wrote:BTW, I still temped, even though it was a bit irregular because my son was up at random times. It isn't as accurate, but if you can quickly temp after your largest chunk of sleep, even if it's at somewhat different times each morning, I still find you can discover a temp shift.
Good to know! DD still sleeps so irregularly (her first chunk of sleep is usually her longest, but I don't go down right when she does either), but I might temp once she starts sleeping a little longer..
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am

litmajor wrote:I just started spotting this evening, which is funny because I've been reading this thread and another one about PP bleeding having a comeback! Is it really possible to get AF at 7 weeks PP when I'm BFing? :( Or is it likely a resurgence?

I could tell because it didn't happen again until more than a year later...that probably doesn't help you much now, though. :P Temping wasn't an option for me with my first and with my second I didn't even think twice about it since I knew to expect it thanks to my experience with my first one.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding