Ameda breastpump

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Ameda breastpump

Postby linds28 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:16 am

Hi ladies! I just called my insurance and found out they will cover an ameda double electric pump. Anyone have any experience with this brand? The only brand I am familiar with is Medela. Thanks!
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months
Baby girl due April 17th!

Image
User avatar
linds28
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:25 pm

I have a Medela, but I have heard wonderful things about the Ameda pump! You are so lucky that your insurance covers it! Enjoy! :)
******
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
******
Image
Image
User avatar
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:00 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 pm

I have an ameda purely yours pump and it's great!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby linds28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 am

Ok good to know thank you! It is actually a law now that insurance companies are required to cover the expense of breastfeeding equipment (ie breast pump).
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months
Baby girl due April 17th!

Image
User avatar
linds28
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby litmajor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 am

When does the law go into effect? My insurance will only cover it if you have a preemie and the doc prescribes it.
User avatar
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby unaffected » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 am

litmajor wrote:When does the law go into effect? My insurance will only cover it if you have a preemie and the doc prescribes it.


The way I understand it, some insurance plans have been grandfathered in and aren't required to cover the pump yet. Other insurances had to start covering it as of Aug 1 (this is what my insurance company told me when I called). I heard a rumor that they all have to cover by January 1st (but again, not sure how accurate that is).
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"


My Blog
User avatar
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby litmajor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

unaffected wrote:
litmajor wrote:When does the law go into effect? My insurance will only cover it if you have a preemie and the doc prescribes it.


The way I understand it, some insurance plans have been grandfathered in and aren't required to cover the pump yet. Other insurances had to start covering it as of Aug 1 (this is what my insurance company told me when I called). I heard a rumor that they all have to cover by January 1st (but again, not sure how accurate that is).


Hmm ok! That would be cool if they all started covering it by January 1st.. My DD will be 4 months old by that point, so I wonder if they would cover it with her being that old. Then again, I have Tricare, so if there is any insurance policy that would somehow be exempt from benefits like that, it would probably be Tricare :lol:
User avatar
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby linds28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 pm

It goes into effect when your policy renews. The majority of them renew at the beginning of the year. I just called my insurance and asked what they covered as far as breastfeeding equipment under the affordable care act. The first time I called a couple months ago and I just asked if they covered pumps and they said no and offered no further info about it being covered starting jan 1st (sneaky sneaky!)
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months
Baby girl due April 17th!

Image
User avatar
linds28
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah, mine is one that will go into effect on January 1st. And I bought my pump in September...I couldn't wait that long! :/
******
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
******
Image
Image
User avatar
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:00 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby jessm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 am

I have an Ameda and love it.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
jessm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 am

litmajor wrote:
unaffected wrote:
litmajor wrote:When does the law go into effect? My insurance will only cover it if you have a preemie and the doc prescribes it.


The way I understand it, some insurance plans have been grandfathered in and aren't required to cover the pump yet. Other insurances had to start covering it as of Aug 1 (this is what my insurance company told me when I called). I heard a rumor that they all have to cover by January 1st (but again, not sure how accurate that is).


Hmm ok! That would be cool if they all started covering it by January 1st.. My DD will be 4 months old by that point, so I wonder if they would cover it with her being that old. Then again, I have Tricare, so if there is any insurance policy that would somehow be exempt from benefits like that, it would probably be Tricare :lol:


Actually, look into it. I have Tricare and I have been told they will cover a pump, though you may need a "prescription" from a doctor or LC. I think they do a reimbursement, so you buy it first and they cut you a check.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
Image
User avatar
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby litmajor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 pm

From their website-

TRICARE may cover electric hospital-grade breast pumps for premature infants who meet certain criteria. The breast pump may be covered for use in the hospital, and in certain cases, if the physician can prove medical necessity, for home use.

TRICARE does not cover:

Electric hospital-grade breast pumps for convenience
Basic electric breast pumps
Manual breast pumps


DD wasn't preemie, and pumping is pure convenience for me. I doubt there is any way I could spin it.
User avatar
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Hmm, I would still go into your office and specifically ask about it, if you can. I was in a breastfeeding group with some military girls and one of them said that Tricare had covered hers; I don't believe she had a premie.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
Image
User avatar
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby litmajor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Would I ask my OB or my pedi?
User avatar
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Ameda breastpump

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 am

Maybe your ped? You might just have to go straight into the Tricare office and see what they say about it. They'll give you a better idea if it's something they are likely to approve and, if so, what you need to do to make it happen. The girl I talked to was active duty and returning to work, so I don't know if that might have played a part in why she got one?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
Image
User avatar
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am


Return to Breastfeeding

cron