Bottle refusal

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Bottle refusal

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:25 pm

My baby girl has taken bottles since she was about 2-3 weeks old. I waited the 2 weeks recommended by the lactation nurse at my hospital, and starting pumping and giving her BM in the wide neck Dr. Brown's bottles. No problems at all. She went back and forth from bottle to breast with ease. Then, about 2 weeks ago, she stopped taking a bottle. She fought so hard, and got really upset. A few days later, my mom came to watch her while DH and I went to a funeral. She refused a bottle at first, then came around. As soon as DH and I got home though, she pulled off the bottle and started screaming, and wouldn't stop until I nursed her. I brought this up to her pediatrician, and she said to try having someone else give her a bottle on a regular basis...but she won't do it if I'm home. I haven't really forced the issue, as right now this is not so much of an issue since I'm not working, but I'm afraid for if she ever has to go to daycare, or if I need to leave her with grandparents. Any experience with bottle refusal? Suggestions?
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Bottle refusal

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I had a huge problem with this with my daughter and she never did take a bottle (though we didn't even try until 8 weeks and we didn't push it since I stay home and it wasn't that big of a deal to me). Leaving the house for a little bit while someone else works with her might be your best option. Trying different bottles might also help. I've heard great things about Tommee Tippee for the breastfed baby, though I have no experience about them since I started hearing their great reviews after I gave up. Good luck!!

P.S. I love your daughter's name. That was on my short list but hubby shot it down. :p
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks! :) I'm not sure if different bottles would work...she never had an issue before with the ones we have. I may try the Tommy Tippee ones, though.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby DueInMayMamma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 am

You said she will take a bottle when you're not there, but as soon as you get home she freaks? Sounds like my dd at that age...I just had to wait it out honestly. She ate when she was hungry, but she always preferred my boob if I was home. Good luck!
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jessm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:51 pm

I think it will be okay since she will take a bottle when you aren't home. She'll also adjust pretty quickly to taking one at daycare. My son will take a bottle from me now, but he really prefers the breast and lets me know. She just wants her snuggle time with mommy and I'm sure will do okay when you are out of sight.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Just an update: iffy on the bottles. She will not take one from DH if I am still in the house but out of sight. She took down all 4 ozs for my mom when DH and I went to the vet a few weeks ago, but would only eat 1.5 ozs for my dad the other day when I went to a job interview, and then just screamed until I got there. I'm thinking she'll be ok...? Should I maybe try other bottles? I'm just afraid to spend money on new bottles if she'll still hate them, you know?
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby KJ511 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't know if this will help but we have a trick to help DD take her bottle. We wrap it in one of my shirts or other soft item that I've worn recently. Also we have a Bed Buddy--it's a little sack full of rice or some such nonsense that you heat in the microwave. We only heat it for 1 minute instead of 2, and wrap it in a towel and put it on her belly. The heat helps her relax so she is more willing to take the bottle. In fact, I sometimes have to do this for her when I'm BFing because she has a gas problem. But it works really well for her, so maybe it will help for your DD!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 am

I've tried the shirt thing, and no dice. But I may try the warm thing on her belly! Thanks, Kelli! :)
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Breastfeeding