pump help!...

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

pump help!...

Postby Norton99 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 am

Hi guys, need advice..... I've been exclusively bf for the last 6 weeks with the exception of about 2oz of formula per day (for when we are out at stores, etc. just started that last 1.5 week). I'm starting work tomorrow and need advice on a good pump..... I have a medela manula harmony, which works just fine but it takes a while to pump with it and I only have 1. When i'm working (part time) I will be pumping probably 2-3x a day. If I got an electric single pump, is it really a lot faster than the manual?? I dont have a lot of money and dont want to buy an electric for a lot and it take me just as long. I'm usually pumping about 10 min on each side with the manual and the amount i get depends on what time of day it is, how much he last ate, ect. so it varies. Usually I get 1.5 oz-2 oz on the rt and 1 or not quite 1 oz on the lt in 20 min with the manual, sometimes 25 min total.

Is it worth getting an electric, will it be a lot faster to pump?????
Is it much difference with a double electric???
With an electric, could I prop the bottle up in my lap on a boppy pillow and allow it to pump while i'm not holding it? (i work on a computer and type all day, trying to see if I could pump while I work, w/out having to buy the expensive hands free one).
Are there any good ones that are not medela ?????????

Thanks for any/all info!
Norton99

Re: pump help!...

Postby jessm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 am

I've only ever used my double electric, I have an Ameda. I can pump in about 10 minutes.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 am

Have you checked to see if your insurance will help you out with a pump?

I use a double electric Medela Pump In Style with a hands free pumping bra...takes me about 10 minutes to pump as well. I get 4 oz from each side, but then again I produce a lot of milk. It does cost quite a bit of money, but it is far less expensive than formula. I bought my pump from the lactation consultant at my hospital, and got it for way less than in stores.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby DueInMayMamma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 am

I use a medela swing (single electric) and can pump out in 10 minutes at work. I normally get anywhere from 4 oz to 7, just depends on how long it's been since I pumped last. Single pump cost way less and worked out great for me personally. It's definitely paid for itself...6 months old and my baby hasn't had a single drop of formula.
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby DueInMayMamma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:42 am

Oh and to answer your question about are there good ones that aren't Medela, I've had good experience with one but I'm drawing a complete blank on the brand!!! It's a single electric and was like 60 bucks...bought it at Wal-Mart in a pinch because I left my pump at home on a trip. Comes in a white and blue box...it was good at getting the milk out fast, but dang it was loud. I'll write back when I find the name of it.
**It's a Girl!**

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby DueInMayMamma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 am

http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=328

Here it is. Like I said, it's not one of the ones you hear people talking about a lot, but in all honesty it worked just as well as my Medela except for the noise factor.
**It's a Girl!**

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby KJ511 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

mrsg2008 wrote:Have you checked to see if your insurance will help you out with a pump?

I use a double electric Medela Pump In Style with a hands free pumping bra...takes me about 10 minutes to pump as well. I get 4 oz from each side, but then again I produce a lot of milk. It does cost quite a bit of money, but it is far less expensive than formula. I bought my pump from the lactation consultant at my hospital, and got it for way less than in stores.

Same! Definitely check with your insurance to see if they will cover. I think you'll find the convenience of a hands-free pumping bra is well worth the $35 or so you'll spend if you're going to pump 2-3x per day!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Breastfeeding