Bfing & pumping

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Bfing & pumping

Postby coastieschick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I BF'd my son for 6 months and then stopped, I'd like to go longer with this baby but I am not sure if it would make more sense to buy a pump or just see how I handle nursing this time around. DS was a champ from day one and if anything I had too much milk so IDK...

...just trying to figure out what to do, my mom has mentioned buying me the medela double pump but IDK if I'll even need that heavy duty of a pump ya know!?
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Bfing & pumping

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 am

If you won't be going to work or anticipate needing to pump often, it's probably not necessary. I got one with my first and I basically just used it for a couple of weeks to build up a stash so I could go skiing for a day. My daughter never took bottles, so the only time I used it with her was when I had injuries (a milk blister and a bad bite) and nursing hurt too much. A manual would have probably worked just fine for my needs, though I definitely got A LOT more milk using a double electric than a manual (I started with a manual with my first, then upgraded). It's totally personal choice, but you could definitely wait until after baby is here and decide if the expense would be worth it then. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 am

After looking more into it I think that's what I've decided. I had a crappy $14 manual last time for those few times I did pump and while I could fill up a whole bottle it was not something I made a habit of. I think I am going to invest in a good quality manual pump and if for some reason this baby doesn't nurse as well as my son did then I can always invest in a pump then. Thanks for your input, sometimes just writing it all down makes it click in your head ya know!?
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:27 pm

You can also get a single electric fairly cheap. For a manual I've heard the Medela Symphony is great.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding