Breastfeeding questions?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Breastfeeding questions?

Postby carak21 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi ladies! It was recommended I come here for some of my questions. My son was born at 35 weeks on Monday and he is nursing great, well I think, but I have a couple questions and would love some answers. When we were in the hospital I was nursing every 2-4 hours and he would eat about 15 minutes on each breast. Well now that we're home and my milk has come in, it seems like he only eats on each side for about 5-6 minutes every 3-4 hours. Is that normal or does he need to feed longer? He poops quite a bit, already pooped 4 times from 2 am-2 pm. And has wet with each poop. But he spits up after every breast. I'm wondering if that's normal and healthy for him.

Also a question about engorgement. I am super engorged and he just doesn't eat enough and my breasts are soo full. Should I be pumping to help or will that just make it worse? Should I just put a warm wash cloth on them to help? I really am clueless :( any help is so appreciated ladies.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Breastfeeding questions?

Postby litmajor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Congratulations!

My pedi said babies will get what they need out within the first 6-8 minutes, and anything longer than 15 is just using you as a pacifier- so 5-6 minutes every 3-4 hours doesn't sound bad at all. You could double check with your pediatrician to make sure (as long as he's gaining nicely, then it's probably fine!), but it sounds good to me. Warning though, I think we started out at around the same amount of time, and it gradually turned to every two hours (sometimes less) as she got a little older.. Now we're back up to longer between feedings. :D Some spitting up is normal, if he seems fussy or in pain, it could be reflux.

I used to put a warm wash cloth on, and then I'd also massage my breasts while feeding her. I am not all that knowledgeable about pumping, so take this with a grain of salt and hopefully someone else can correct me if I am wrong- when you pump, you don't get as much as you would if baby were actually nursing and it does not stimulate your breasts in the same way, so I don't think an oversupply would be a huge concern (unless you pump way too much). Plus you'll get a nice stash going too!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

If you are getting enough dirty and wet diapers then he is eating enough. If he isn't gaining or thriving, that's the only time you have to worry. I had an issue with my milk coming in (took 10 days) and I can tell you when baby isn't getting enough they let you know. My son cried and gave hunger signals constantly until we finally stimulated me enough for the milk to come in.

As for being engorged, you can pump to relieve the pressure. However, nursing is a supply and demand deal. So if your body thinks it needs that much, it will make that much. You can put frozen bags of peas (or corn or whatever) on to help with pain from engorgement. Your baby isn't even a week old yet, so it is very normal to be engorged at this point. If you pump too much right now you will deal with a constant over supply issue. Your supply should regulate in a week or so. If you want to build a stash, I would start pumping for that between 2 and 6 weeks. When I pumped before that I got my transitional milk, which is a little funny looking, so don't freak out if it doesn't look like you think it would!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:32 pm

First, congratulations on your baby boy!

The eating sounds normal. He'll eat when he's hungry, and he will take as much as he needs. As long as he's wetting and pooping regularly and gaining weight, he's fine.

I'd go with massage and a warm washcloth. Your supply will take a few weeks to regulate, so if you pump, your boobs will make more milk. They won't be engorged forever, don't worry!

Good luck! :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ajs333 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:44 pm

I've only nursed one baby so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it sounds like you are doing just fine. I'd also be pumping as long as you are engorged. Its great to have that freezer stash and if you are like me, it will make your boobs feel so much better. My poor freezer stash is down to nil these days because I don't really get engorged anymore. So, yeah, I say pump it while ya got it. Like pp said, it won't be that way forever. Good luck! You are doing great!
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby KJ511 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:00 am

Just popping in to say that the feeding sounds just fine. DS sounds like he is thriving, so that's great! I would try to avoid pumping until after your supply is established like others have said. I used to relieve some of the pressure with a warm washcloth and just manually express a bit so that I wouldn't be so uncomfortable, but I didn't empty my breasts. Are you planning to go back to work after a leave so that you'll need a stash?
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby carak21 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks ladies. I honestly forget that I posted here. All your responses were very helpful. I did actually pump about an ounce out of each breast and have not had anymore engorgement problems since. We went to our 1 week check up and DS gained 3 ounces in 4 days so his dr was very happy. I guess it does just come natural because he is doing great now. Yes I will be going back to work around February so I think I will start pumping next month just to build supply. I have plenty of milk so I don't think it will be a problem. If I have anymore questions though I know where to go.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding