Thrush and Nystatin

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Thrush and Nystatin

Postby ajs333 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm

I wasn't sure if this should go under the sticky or just under general breastfeeding. So if a mod needs to move it, please feel free.

Anyway... here we are at 10 months old and he gets thrush. I'm pretty sure I have it on my nipples too so we are both being treated. He gets liquid Nystatin in his mouth several times a day and I am supposed to apply Nystatin cream to my nipples after every feeding. My question is, do I need to wipe my nipple off before the next feeding so he doesn't get any of it in his mouth? There weren't any instructions on that in the info they gave me with the med. It's also hard to find a real answer online. What do y'all think? Wipe it off before he nurses again or don't worry about it?
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Thrush and Nystatin

Postby LaraE » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Does the medicine container say "for external use only"?

I'm guessing if its an ointment of some kind, they probably don't want it in the mouth. But if you're rubbing it in, then it's probably fine by the time you feed again.

When my DD had thrush, I'd swab the inside if her mouth with a qtip dipped in nystatin liquid (she freaked out when I squirted the stuff directly into her mouth), them I'd just dab some of the nystatin liquid on my nipples.

You could ca the dr who prescribed it and see
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ajs333 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 am

It does say 'for external use only'. I'll probably just do a quick wipe before each feeding. This is going to be annoying. Hope it clears up quickly. Thanks :)
Me:Jill (37) DH:Scott (40 ) DS: Ian (3) DS: Joel (12/27/11)
ajs333
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am

Yes I would wipe off for feedings. I'm sorry :( I had thrush and they gave me a pill. It was annoying!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding